Debt recordings go to on demand before we watch them

Casilu

Original poster
Mar 20, 2021
Hot Springs Ar
We record episodes of a tv series, 2 recordings a day. We don’t always have time to watch them, so sometimes they back up to 20 recordings to watch. We noticed that some of the recordings go to On Demand before we get to watch them. Is there a limit to how many episodes you can record before they switch to On Demand?

Hey, it's D¡sh. But first how full is your harddrive? if they are not "Protected" the older recordings will get deleted. But I have never heard of them going to OnDemand. I have seen then do that after I watched the episode and delete it. The only two things that I could think of that "might" help is make sure that the timers are set to keep "All Recordings" and turn on "Protect" when you make or go back and update the timer.

The default limit for recordings of the same program is 20, but (last I checked on a 612) you could change that. If you remove the limit entirely, you can easily fill up your hard drive in no time, and then it will start deleting older unprotected programs. Think of marathons of Mythbusters, for example.

On a Hopper you can edit a timer to select the number of recordings to keep using the drop down box. The choices are 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 10, 15, 20, 25, and All Events. The default is 20. You can also select Protect to keep from deleting recordings.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

What is happening is that the 20 recordings limit has been reached, so the receiver deletes the oldest recordings and those deleted show up as available on demand in the program recording list. They are always there and available on demand but do not show up until you (or the receiver) delete them.

I see this all the time on episodes I watch and delete, the next time I delete a program all the previously deleted programs are listed as being on demand. It's a feature not a bug.

Reactions: joegr and TheKrell
Here's the strange thing: The list of recordings for the same show also shows the ones you just deleted as 'on demand' even if your Hopper is not connected to internet!. That never made any sense to me. Now, my Hopper 3 is connected via Wifi, it obviously makes sense to see deleted recordings being offered to stream.
In case you haven't seen this issue yet, some recordings are split into 2 segments! I record The Andy Griffith Show from OTA sub station Metv. I noticed 2 recordings were split into 2. One is about 7 minutes, the other 26. The episode name is the same. (I always add few extra minutes to be safe.) This also happened to me with satellite channels. Not often.

In case you haven't seen this issue yet, some recordings are split into 2 segments! I record The Andy Griffith Show from OTA sub station Metv. I noticed 2 recordings were split into 2. One is about 7 minutes, the other 26. The episode name is the same. (I always add few extra minutes to be safe.) This also happened to me with satellite channels. Not often.
Split recordings usually mean that your signal was interrupted. It may be that your OTA signal took a minor hit on your MeTv channel. You might want to take a look at the the signal strength on that channel.

Here's the strange thing: The list of recordings for the same show also shows the ones you just deleted as 'on demand' even if your Hopper is not connected to internet!. That never made any sense to me. Now, my Hopper 3 is connected via Wifi, it obviously makes sense to see deleted recordings being offered to stream.

To me it does make sense to tell you they are available on demand connected or not to the internet. It's telling you a fact, that you do or don't take advantage of it by being connected is separate. Tivo does the same.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Good point Tampa8. Thanks for the explanation Bobby. I may need to rescan those ota channels one of these days (or late night or very early morning as our Crodrules recommends). It rarely happens. I just live with it. Not a major headache.

Reactions: Tampa8

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)