Deciding on a service? Which one for me?

Speedwagon

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 30, 2004
Currently, there is Comcast cable in the house. It's paid for by my housemate. He is moving out shortly though. I've never been real happy with Comcast(all around, in general).

I have a JVC HDTV(nice 48incher) that only gets good use when watching a movie. I'd like to watch some tv in HD now as well. But I'm not sure who to go with. Most of the time, I only watch channels like History, Discovery, Spike, and TBS. Occasionally I'll watch some others, but those are my usual viewing choices. I don't like the idea of spending more than $50/mo on TV service, especially cuz I don't watch it that much.

So the big question is, how do I decide on a service? I know VOOM has more HD channels, but I'm not sure I'll use them. DirecTV and DishNetwork seem to be about the same to me in terms of what they offer, and I believe they'd be $10/mo cheaper than VOOM(with the HD package).

I've used Comcast Digital cable before, and I absolutely DISPISE it's interface. I might just be spoiled, but the interface on my JVC is much more intuitive. And I can watch 2 things at once(though I can only listen to one at a time). I know I will lose this ability with any type of box, but I'd like the interface to be better than that of the Comcrap boxes.

So, thoughts? Opinions?

well you have an HDTV, but for what reason I might ask you? as I like to say, its like you purchasing a $200,000 sportscar and driving it thru a 5mph school zone for most, if not all of its life. this is exactly what you have done up to this point and I hope this is the chance to bring you TV to life. anyway if is HD you want, stay far away from Dish Network. they have by far the worst line of HD receivers on the market, esp. the 921. are you looking for an HD DVR? if you are DirecTV has just the thing with the HD DirecTivo, its the best HD DVR currently made. It also has the best interface. DirecTV has the most potential for more HD channels as they have already annouced that they will have 14-20 total HD channels by year end, including INHD 1 & 2, which are two of the best channels on TV, and are not carried by any other satellite company. Voom does have most HD channels but you must deal with losing out on some of the best SD channels, and no locals by satellite could also be a big problem where you live, meaning you need an antenna to get your locals. DirecTV on the otherhand has or will have you locals within the next month (depending on your location). they will also be offering locals by satellite in HD starting next year, which has never been done on U.S satellite TV. I would pick DirecTV, they have the best receivers for HD, more HD is on the way, and they have or will have your locals, just like you have been getting on Comcast. I hope this helps!

Same here its got to be DirecTV to start with, you can always go to V* at any time in the future! Shop around for DirecTV, including a call direct to them, see what they will offer, dont comit, then see whats deals are out there! Take you time you are only a new D* once...............or twice : )

Pick the service that provides the channels you want at the best price, and go from there. Dish network has the AT60 which sounds like it will provide most channels you are looking for. Then get the HD pack for $10 a month. Pull in the locals over the air, and you will have plenty of viewing options for $35 a month. Not sure how much it will cost you to get an 811 as a new customer (and how much of a commitment) Now if you need multiple TV's/PVR option, then things are different.

mini1 said:
DirecTV has the most potential for more HD channels as they have already annouced that they will have 14-20 total HD channels by year end, including INHD 1 & 2, which are two of the best channels on TV, and are not carried by any other satellite company. they will also be offering locals by satellite in HD starting next year, which has never been done on U.S satellite TV.

Mini -

These are some pretty impressive claims. Can you guide me to anything official from D* that states this? Thanks

Well, I got a really good deal on the TV. At the time I bought it, I hadn't owned a TV for 1.5 years, cuz I wanted to get something nice. So I waited and saved.

New to the forum, and maybe I missed something, but what's with the V* and D* and such?

Near as I can tell, for $40/mo, Both DirecTV and Dish have about the same lineup. And DirecTV has CBS HD, which is offered in Baltimore(where I'm at). And they are only charging $30/mo for the first 6 if I read it right.

Does DirecTV require you to buy the equipment? I get the impression you do from what I'm seeing on their website.

And does Dish network use JVC for their recievers? I've browsed JVCs website to see what they offer(one manufacturer provides ease of use sometimes), and they seem to only offer Dish network recievers.

edit again: I answered my own question. Looked more indepth on Dish's website, and I see they do use JVC. Would that also mean the compu-link would work between the reciever and TV?

they have by far the worst line of HD receivers on the market, esp. the 921.
And your opinion of the JVC recievers doesn't seem to be all that grand. What is wrong with their recievers?

i have the 48 in jvc high def set also, the only problem i have with it is when the dvi cable is hooked up to the voom rec, and i turn the tv off with the remote or the power button on the tv, it shuts the voom box off everytime, so let me know if you go by voom if yours acts the same way, i have directv/tivo hooked up to it also and it doesnt power down.

Well, Honestly, I would stay with Comcast. That's what I have and I'm very happy with it so far. Not that much HD channels as of yet. If you want shear volume, then your only choice is VOOM. However, from your preferences, you don't want just volume. You want to get programming that you'll actually watch. This is why I go with Comcast. They have the locals in HD plus they have INHD, INHD2, and EPSN-HD. That's all I need, but would really like Discovery-HD. Comcast is negotiating with Discovery and TNT, but are also bandwidth constrained. I hope they resolve this soon. As far as PQ goes, they all look awesome and I never have to worry about rain or wind fade. The price is basically even, so I get good programming for my money. I'm keeping a close watch on VOOM, and may give it a trial this summer if I see some of its issues resolved and even more tempting programming.

zubinh said:
Mini -

These are some pretty impressive claims. Can you guide me to anything official from D* that states this? Thanks[/QUOTE

they said that they will "double" or "tripple" their HD line-up by year end. they either have between 7-9 HD channels now, depending on how you look at it. 7 times two = 14, 7 times three = 21, 9 times two = 18. seems to be right within my forcasted figures? this is exactly what DirecTV stated in a letter to retailers earlier this year.

when I find the exact letter I will post quotes if you would like.

"And your opinion of the JVC recievers doesn't seem to be all that grand. What is wrong with their recievers?"
If you don't believe me just go look in the Dish Network forum, and see for yourslef all the postings of how their currecnt line of receivers fail to work as they were designed to. things like constant cashes, software updates, screen savers that will not go away, guide problems, ATSC tuner problems, and functions that just do not work are just some of many things that you would have to deal with if you went with Dish. Along with all those problems the 921 is the worst HD DVR ever made. it has a terrible operating system, they doesn't even come close to Tivo-not at all. there is no name based recordings, only 1 ATSC tuner, it need to reboot all the time, and I have even heard of it overheating, not to mention the locals on the ATSC guide not showing up. want more? visit the Dish network forum for everything. again, if you want anything more than a basic receiver Dish Network is not for you. want to get locked into a year of these problems, be my guest-but don't say I didn't try to warn you. and lastly why do you think they give most of their receivers away for free? you get what you pay for, its very hard to miss at Dish.

MrPorterhouse said:
Well, Honestly, I would stay with Comcast. That's what I have and I'm very happy with it so far. Not that much HD channels as of yet. If you want shear volume, then your only choice is VOOM. However, from your preferences, you don't want just volume. You want to get programming that you'll actually watch. This is why I go with Comcast. They have the locals in HD plus they have INHD, INHD2, and EPSN-HD. That's all I need, but would really like Discovery-HD. Comcast is negotiating with Discovery and TNT, but are also bandwidth constrained. I hope they resolve this soon. As far as PQ goes, they all look awesome and I never have to worry about rain or wind fade. The price is basically even, so I get good programming for my money. I'm keeping a close watch on VOOM, and may give it a trial this summer if I see some of its issues resolved and even more tempting programming.

Well, if I want HD from Comcast, I need to upgrade to digital cable first. That's $57/mo, plus another $5/mo for the HD programming. That puts me over $60/mo. I don't like paying around $50/mo for service. On top of that, I can't go to Comcast's website and find a listing of which channels are offered in which packages. At least, not easily(haven't found it yet, and I shouldn't have to look very hard). I haven't been very pleased with Comcast's service yes.
A bit off topic, but thier HSI is mediocre at best. Sure it's fast, when it's working. But good lord, almost noone UPLOADS at 3Mbs, so why would I need a 3Mbs download?

Back on topic. Does DirecTV allow you to lease their equipment? I can't find any mention of it on their site.

edit: Well, I just called DirecTV, and the only way for me to get HD, is to buy the $300 reciever with antenna. I'm kinda surprised they don't offer a lease option for this.

Well this seems to be turning more into a DirecTV thread now.. :)

So if I have this correct though, you can pay $5/mo for local channels over the satellite, or get a new antenna and recieve them for free(with the proper reciever), correct? And living between Baltimore and DC, I'm sure I won't have any problem getting reception. This whole digital broadcasting thing was news to me as of about a week ago. Didn't realize you needed more than(or could get) rabbit ears nowadays. I've had cable for soooooo long.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts