Decision time on iphone5 has arrived.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
Some of you may recall I had planed on upgrading my wife's LGenv3 semidumb phone to an iphone5. Well, yesterday I received an email alert from Verizon that they are offering me an early upgrade on the new every 2 plan. I still have 6 months to go but they are offering the upgrade on about 20 different LTE smartphones for the new every two sale price. The iphone5 16gb is $199.

So, I decided it may be a good time for her upgrade. She does OK with the LG as she is not a power user but I think an iphone would be a good tool for her to expand her smart phone horizons. She has a Blackberry too that she uses owned by her employer so she isn't totally unfamiliar with e-mail on a phone.

But, considering our daughter has an iphone 4s and is somewhat a power user, I can see them using "facetime" more. My daughter is on AT&T, however.

So my question is, does Facetime have any extra charges or is it just a hit on your data allotment. I'm pretty sure we have plenty of spare data on our plan.

The other thing is, I want to shut off one of our devices which is a mobile hotspot and just use her iphone5 as a hotspot for her ipad1 wifi only. As it is a 64b ipad, I think the photos she will take with the iphone could be easily downloaded to the ipad when the 16gb iphone gets to the limit.

Is there a way to connect the ipad1 old connector to the new iphone5 new connector or would I just connect the two for picture transfer using BluTooth or wifi?

Is there anything else I might consider?

PS- I probably won't make the move until after CES so I'm in no rush.

Some of you may recall I had planed on upgrading my wife's LGenv3 semidumb phone to an iphone5. Well, yesterday I received an email alert from Verizon that they are offering me an early upgrade on the new every 2 plan. I still have 6 months to go but they are offering the upgrade on about 20 different LTE smartphones for the new every two sale price. The iphone5 16gb is $199.

So, I decided it may be a good time for her upgrade. She does OK with the LG as she is not a power user but I think an iphone would be a good tool for her to expand her smart phone horizons. She has a Blackberry too that she uses owned by her employer so she isn't totally unfamiliar with e-mail on a phone.

But, considering our daughter has an iphone 4s and is somewhat a power user, I can see them using "facetime" more. My daughter is on AT&T, however.

So my question is, does Facetime have any extra charges or is it just a hit on your data allotment. I'm pretty sure we have plenty of spare data on our plan.

The other thing is, I want to shut off one of our devices which is a mobile hotspot and just use her iphone5 as a hotspot for her ipad1 wifi only. As it is a 64b ipad, I think the photos she will take with the iphone could be easily downloaded to the ipad when the 16gb iphone gets to the limit.

Is there a way to connect the ipad1 old connector to the new iphone5 new connector or would I just connect the two for picture transfer using BluTooth or wifi?

Is there anything else I might consider?

PS- I probably won't make the move until after CES so I'm in no rush.
. One thing they will like is the texting. IPhone to iPhone pops a different color than to other phones and is 0 cost between iphones, if I remember correctly. Blue vs green txt to alert you to the enhanced service.

. One thing they will like is the texting. IPhone to iPhone pops a different color than to other phones and is 0 cost between iphones, if I remember correctly. Blue vs green txt to alert you to the enhanced service.

Technically imessage will cost you some as it uses data

Sent from my blazing fast galaxy s3 using SatelliteGuys

Just have them only use Facetime over Wi-Fi, no need to worry about data there. I have service with AT&T but don't have the family share plan so i can only use the facetime over wi-fi, no LTE service here and can't use if over 3G(4G) because of our plan.

Historically, FaceTime required both ends be on wifi.
There was never a cellular option.
That may have changed with new plans and/or LTE.

I have a friend wanting to tether her laptop to her phone to work in the field one day a week.
The (Verizon) mobile hotspot isn't really cost effective.
Carriers have generally wanted to disallow "tethering" to your phone, even though the feature is built into many phones.
They like to charge extra, for no good reason other than they can.
Check to see if Verizon offers it for free, $10/mo, etc.

There are apps available which mask the tethering.
If not available at the Apple store, then on Cydia for Jailbroken phones.
I use "TetherMe", mostly for another feature it offers.
But it does lite up as a wifi hotspot, and I've logged in with other devices.

Let me know what Verizon offers you.

Historically, FaceTime required both ends be on wifi.
There was never a cellular option.
That may have changed with new plans and/or LTE.

I have a friend wanting to tether her laptop to her phone to work in the field one day a week.
The (Verizon) mobile hotspot isn't really cost effective.
Carriers have generally wanted to disallow "tethering" to your phone, even though the feature is built into many phones.
They like to charge extra, for no good reason other than they can.
Check to see if Verizon offers it for free, $10/mo, etc.

There are apps available which mask the tethering.
If not available at the Apple store, then on Cydia for Jailbroken phones.
I use "TetherMe", mostly for another feature it offers.
But it does lite up as a wifi hotspot, and I've logged in with other devices.

Let me know what Verizon offers you.

iOS 6 allows Facetime over cellular. ATT is requiring you to be on shared data in order to use it though. Tethering is also included with shared data.

We had to get the Apple Store guys to set up facetime between my wife's iPad3 & my iPhone 5. Turns out when IM was set up at another Apple Store, the guy did something funky that had to be undone. Set it up, tested it, works fine.

Haven't used it since.

Yes, I know Verizon allows tethering now for share everything plan and have been using that on my ipad3 when I travel. It also extended to my Thunderbolt which Verizon used to charge a ton of money $29.95 a month for tethering on top of data charge. Glad that went away. Thanks for the info on ios6 as allowing LTE facetime now. I knew that Apple only had FT for wifi before.

So the conclusion is, for now, that my daughter may have the toughest time using facetime on her AT&T iphone 4s unless she is at home and connects via her home wifi. I'm not sure how she does that. Her one brother in law is an Apple certified whatever but when I asked him these questions he wasn't much help. You guys were more help! :) He did set up her iphone, though. I know here at the house, my ipad3 connects to wifi until I take it away from the house and then it uses the LTE or 3G connection. Having both turned on does suck down the battery faster. Lately, Verizon's coverage of LTE is so widespread here that it is rare to see 3G in our travels around the state.

What is the best way to manage an icloud account? I have an ipad3. Wife has an ipad 1 and now iphone5. We have our apple accounts all under my e-mail address.

I decided to get the iphone5 at the local Verizon store. Was able to transfer the contacts on the LG phone to the iphone5 and transfer the pictures to my computer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)