Deep Fried Turkey...

I love deep fried turkey, but I also love oven roasted! Right now we are in the mode of; one time fried/the next roasted! I love to make turkey gumbo from the bones and meat either way!
Tom in TX

I love deep fried turkey but my parents are still stuck on the oven. Needless to say they have never tried it fried.

dfergie said:
It's that time of the year again... and before the tech chat we got on the subject of Deep Fried Turkey... :D Good stuff folks are you eating the plain ole traditional Oven cooked Turkey or... Fried...

Ahh but be careful frying that turkey I know of a case in the town I used to live where a guy was frying his turkey in his garage that was under his house and he left it frying to run to the store to get a cover for the pot, came home to his house on fire ouch. :(

BEWARE!
If frying do NOT leave unattended, and fry only outdoors! I know someone who put turkey in fryer, under patio roof and went shopping:(

They returned needing a lot more than cranberry sauce, their home had burned down.

theres a allstate commercial about just this subject.

Living in the piney woods of east Texas with all my fellow rednecks, just about everyone around here fries turkey now. However, I've never tried it actually. I love 'em smoked. We're thawing out a 20 pounder right now that I will begin smoking late Tuesday night and most of the day Wednesday. Lowering a carcass that large into nearly five gallons of hot oil over an open flame scares the living sh_t out of me. I enjoy the smoking because it's slow and I get to drink beer and not stay on my toes too much. Around here a lot of people like to buy them already smoked and the popular one to get is a Greenberg, and they are mighty fine smoked turkeys, straight from Tyler, Texas.

dfergie said:
I smoke briskits ...(with mesquite roots and wood usually) it takes patience and a lot of beer :D

There's a man that knows how to smoke!

My brother-in-law quit using brisket when he discovered another cut of meat that he likes better. It's called a "flat bottom round", or "flat" for short. I'm not sure what cut it is, but I think it would be considered a type of roast. It sure smokes up good though. He buys his at Sam's. Has to ask for it direct from the butcher.

I'm guessing some of you guys are going to be very good friends with the cardiologists in your neighborhoods...

A lot of people here don't fry correctly because it's so cold and snow covered. This is why they do it inside...You guys out west have it easy...

Apple juice brine...Then Beer can method in my Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker....Apple and Cherry wood for smoke...MMM..mmm. :hungry: :hungry:

NightRyder

Purogamer said:
I'm guessing some of you guys are going to be very good friends with the cardiologists in your neighborhoods...

A lot of people here don't fry correctly because it's so cold and snow covered. This is why they do it inside...You guys out west have it easy...

Cardiologist? A triple bypass is just a fact of life around here. It happens. :)