Dejavu, Review of PS2, very similar to that of the PS3

Derwin0

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 16, 2004
Peachtree City, GA
Salon.com Technology | Don't buy that PlayStation

Interesting review of the PS2. Pretty much says the exact same thing as people are saying about the PS3 today, along with the same predictions of flopping in favor of another console (Dreamcast and upcoming X-Box).

A few others saying about the same thing.
Sony PS2 has limited lifespan | Geek.com
Gran Turismo 2000 (PS2) - MegaGames console

And since we all know how the PS2 turned out (slaughtering the XBox and still beating the 360), I'd say it's way too early to count the PS3 out.

PS2 was only $300 though, the same price as the Sega CD was... PS3 is far far far less of a bargin.

History isn't going to automatically repeat itself here.

at 600 dollars how is the Ps3 not a bargain, plus with the price of inflation, is it really that far offline?

http://curmudgeongamer.com/imgdisplay.php3?shotfile=console-prices-relative.png

here is a list with prices of the video game system prices with inflation inluded, but remember this, both the PS3 and 360 have extras to be considered (blu ray playback, media extender and such).

PS3 is comparable to it's competitors though, and PS2 was a leap forward(DVD capablity). In Japan people were buying PS2s because they were budget DVD players. That advantage lasted a very short time for the PS3.

Not going to get into the Blu-Ray stuff, as forcing you into one side of a format war without any choice isn't all that great.

Personally I would love to pick up a $200-$300 PS3 one day, play a bunch of the nice PS2 titles I missed and whatever else finally came out for the PS3 that DOES make it worth buying, since sales and whatnot show there isn't enough to warrant a purchase right now for anyone but fringe Blu Ray fans and impatient gamers. Hardcore Blu Ray fans are more likely to buy standalone players, and patient gamers are waiting until there is more software for the PS3.

The way things are now, I will likely have a 2nd 360 in my household before a PS3, since thanks to how nice Xbox Live is, it will get far more use than another DVD player, HD or otherwise.

Last edited:
PS3 is comparable to it's competitors though, and PS2 was a leap forward(DVD capablity). In Japan people were buying PS2s because they were budget DVD players. That advantage lasted a very short time for the PS3.

Not going to get into the Blu-Ray stuff, as forcing you into one side of a format war without any choice isn't all that great.
DVD playback was needed for Game play as well as movies. Blu ray playback is needed for movies as well as games. People in america are buying the Ps3 as a Bluray player right now, and I dont see that advantage lasting long as cheaper players will come out, and Ps3 sales I believe will pick up with more software.
Personally I would love to pick up a $200-$300 PS3 one day, play a bunch of the nice PS2 titles I missed and whatever else finally came out for the PS3 that DOES make it worth buying, since sales and whatnot show there isn't enough to warrant a purchase right now for anyone but fringe Blu Ray fans and impatient gamers. Hardcore Blu Ray fans are more likely to buy standalone players, and patient gamers are waiting until there is more software for the PS3.

The way things are now, I will likely have a 2nd 360 in my household before a PS3, since thanks to how nice Xbox Live is, it will get far more use than another DVD player, HD or otherwise.

I believe Live is great, but I am really really interested in what Home can do for the Ps3-hopefully Sony dosent make it a cheap knock off!
also starting tommorow my Ps3 is going to get some serious gaming use...I already have MLB 07 the show and play that like crazy, but Rainbow Six vegas comes out tommorow along with the darkness, cant wait!

I see similarities in competition.

Dreamcast was out before the PS2 and cheaper. Also PS1 continued to outsell both for over a year.
Not unlike now, just substitute 360 for Dreamcast. PS2 outsells both 360 and PS3, just like PS1 outsold Dreamcast and PS2 for the first year.

PS2 was only $300 though, the same price as the Sega CD was...
Sega CD was long since dead by this point and replaced by Saturn and then Dreamcast. Did you mean Dreamcast? If so, it wasn't $300 when PS2 was released, it was down to $150 at that point, as Sega had cut the price in order to fend off the release of the PS2.

And Live isn't going to make/break the 360 in the console wars, after all, it didn't help Xbox vault to the top.

can anyone remember how long the sega cd was in actual exsitence I remember my friend having one, but never really playing it.
Maybe a year. It didn't last too long, neither did the 32X followup. And Sega put them both out of their misery when they released the Saturn.

here sorry for the bad link here is a chart
Year of Release
System Original Price US$ Price Today US$
1960 PDP-1 120,000 760,410.51
1972 Maganavox Odyssey 100 456.11
1976 Fairchild VES 169.95 583.47
1977 Atari 2600 200 649
1979 Atari 800 999.95 2831.58
1980 Intellivision 299.99 759.36
1981 VIC-20 299.99 669.04
1982 Commodore 64 595 1207.04
1985 NES 299.99 512.19
1986 Sega Master System 200 342.6
1989 TurboGrafx 16 199.99 311.73
1990 Sega Mega Drive 199 650
Neo Geo 295.98 966.77

1993 3DO 699.99 920.36

found at:
Retro look at expensive computer gaming systems - Joystiq

also I have included the chart i was refering to in my last post

Attachments

• imgdisplay.png
    imgdisplay.png
    47.4 KB · Views: 205
And when you factor in Game Prices, I remember paying 39.99 and 49.99 for many atari/intellivision/NES/Genesis/SNES games, it shows you that you even get MORE for your money now than ever before...

Both Blue Ray and HD DVD are both almost going to be obsolete before they have a chance to go mainstream...
Holographic memory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Holographic Video Storage

Just one of these disks can hold 100 gigabytes of video.You would need more than 20 of todays DVDs to equal the storage capacity of just one of these special disks, and that's just for starters.

InPhase Ships Holographic Storage
The future is here—sort of. InPhase today announced that it has begun bulk shipping its 300GB holographic storage disks. The platters are 1.5-millimeters thick and cost $180 each. That is on top of the initial $18,000 investment for the Tapestry HDS-300R drive. InPhase says that the drives should expand to capacities of 1.6TB by 2010.

Quite pricy at the moment... but DVDs were too at one point, and CDs before that... and even VHS was too long ago...

I suspect the first company to successfully get holographic storage devices in to a game console is going to be the next next gen leader!

a few thing xbox 360 has over the dreamcast vs ps2 was number of titles capibilites and halo 3 !!!!!!!!

Yeah, but dreamcast had better games. 360's games are a little boring and there isn't enough variety. It's a war sim or an FPS.... My 360 would be collecting dust if I didn't have to send it in for a repair.

...or a game for each significant sport annually... ...or one of the 60+ live arcade games... ...or Oblivion (who needs other RPGs when you have it?)... ...or an RTS (a genre that has never really stuck well to consoles... that is doing well now).

The market has changed, it just might not be for you as much anymore, likely not a particular console's fault.

...or a game for each significant sport annually... ...or one of the 60+ live arcade games... ...or Oblivion (who needs other RPGs when you have it?)... ...or an RTS (a genre that has never really stuck well to consoles... that is doing well now).

The market has changed, it just might not be for you as much anymore, likely not a particular console's fault.

:mad:
well, i think the japanese are probably more in-tune with my tastes. Maybe getting a Wii or a PS3 will help cure my blues in a couple of years when dev kicks up for the next gen in Japan.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts