Delete Commercials?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dhageremtp

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
North Dakota
Is there a way to delete out commericals on a saved recording? I record shows for my kids and would like to be able to cut out commericals so I dont always have to ffwd it for them.

If this isnt a feature, I think it should be!!

Is there a way to delete out commericals on a saved recording? I record shows for my kids and would like to be able to cut out commericals so I dont always have to ffwd it for them.

If this isnt a feature, I think it should be!!

No editing.

I'm sure the companies that are placing the ads would love that. :D I agree it would be wonderful if it was automatic, but if I had to manually do it, then it wouldn't really be worth it to me.

I try to only record shows on channels with no commercials ie noggin and pbs. and set the timer to start a few minutes in and end a few minutes early so I get 24 minutes or so of 'pure' programming without commercials. Cheers.

There was a question related to that in the Tech Chat. One of the engineers said that it was something that they could look into. The question was about just getting rid of the stuff you don't want and keep the part of the program that you do want (such as a commercial) instead of having a whole 20 minutes of video you would just have 3 minutes.

If the program you saved on your DVR is worth saving for multiple views (kids often want that!) then you could burn it to DVD once while doing the editing yourself for a commercial-free end product...

20 years ago they had a gadget called a black box that would remove commercials. Back then commercials had ultrasonic beep tones to trigger the beginning and ending, so the box would pick up the beep and stop/ start the recorder. I haven't been around the business all these years, so I'm not sure if commercials still work this way (I would assume not with digital everything), but you could look into the black boxes and see if there is still someplace you could find one?

I have/had a DVD+R that would mark the commercials (mostly correctly) so that on replay they would be skipped. So it can be done. Don't know the means.

I had the impression that the idea bulb for Dish was to be able to truncate the recording on the front and/or the back. Although I think the caller thought it might be re-recorded with cuts by hand or semi-automated.

-Ken

I just thought it would be neat if there was an option to delete sections of a recording manually. Allowing the user to delete any sections of a recording that the user wants.

The techs mentioned perhaps adding the ability to change the start and stop point of the recording. Which is much easier. True editing to remove commercials is much less likely to be done and would probably get the advertises and therefore the various channel providers angry.

The industry has pretty much been forced to abandon automatic commercial detection skipping. One of the DVR's (I forget which) had such a feature and ended up removing it.

The only thing I would like, especially when recording sports is to be able to 'clip' the end of recordings off if they are not needed. A timer for a sporting event is going to record an extra hour, that sometimes will not be needed at all. I wish they could at least come up with a way to clip, say the last 45 minuntes, if the game ended 15 minutes into that extra hour.

One of the DVR's (I forget which) had such a feature and ended up removing it.
It was on a ReplayTV unit that I once had. I don't believe they ever removed it, but rather just stopped having that feature on future models. It sure was handy, but that old standalone DVR was only SD so I sold it to get a HD DirecTiVo (HR10-250). I really miss the automatic commercial skipping. It didn't do it "on the fly" though -- the program had to have finished recording before the auto skipping would work. I still have Panasonic VCR with that feature, but it takes quite a while to study and mark the commercials after taping (and of course it can only auto start/stop FF to skip the commercials).

Windows Media Center had a wonderful plugin that skipped commercials. It worked perfectly and watching TV was such a joy. It was a hard thing to give up but I did it in order to get HD programming.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts