Denon 4520CI on the way

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Well, my X4000 is acting up (going into protection mode for no reason), and warranty is up (open box buy so it had 12 months).

Decision was up in the air, but for the money I could not pass up the AVR-4520CI ($1100 new on AC4L). I'm selling my outlaw amp which takes out a good chunk of the purchase cost, and it allows me a little more room in a already crowded stand.

No worries on power of course with Klipsch and this monster, S&V tested it at 170w/channel at two channels driven, so it has plenty of juice.

I may send the X4000 in for repair and then try and sell, unsure yet. Itd make a good workshop AVR or something of the sort now, because you just cut it back on and it is fine. Cutting off 2 times in the middle of a movie though does not work LOL.

Im still planning the 4k upgrade for late 2016, so this AVR gets me there no problem.

http://usa.denon.com/us/product/refurbishedprocat/avreceiversref/avr4520ci

Home-Theater_AV-Reveivers_AVR-4520CI_1.png

Home-Theater_AV-Reveivers_AVR-4520CI_6.png

Yeah, what Im thinking is I buy that one or the 7000 model coming 2 years from now when it is a huge discount. That will be my jump to 4K (hopefully).

These high end Japan models come out every 2 years, and that is why the 4520 is so cheap right now.

Last few AVR upgrades I have made have been deep in the life cycle. Just no need to spend money on launch. Im hooked on XT32 and dual sub eq, so I'm sticking with units that handle that. Onkyo dropped audyssey which I think was a bad move, and the new Pioneer MCACC Pro does subs, but it is on the very high end models. Plus if you do not buy a Pioneer Elite from certain places, you get no warranty...

I've heard the flagship Japan built Denon's are nice, and this will be my first.

The only issue for me to wait on is 4k 60 fps.
For me it's also HDCP 2.2. Looks like receivers will also need to be HDCP 2.2 compliant. It won't be enough to pass the signal through. :(

Of course this is only if you are concerned about future-proofing. If you are like gadgtfreek and change your receivers every year or two then this won't be an issue. ;)

Last edited:
For me it's also HDCP 2.2. Looks like receivers will also need to be HDCP 2.2 compliant. It won't be enough to pass the signal through. :(

Of course this is only if you are concerned about future-proofing. If you are like gadgetfreek and change your receivers every year or two then this won't be an issue. ;)

LOL. True!

Considering Im waiting out decent deals on 4K oled, 24 more months seems likely for me...

Yep. You will need HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2. None of the current Denons support HDCP 2.2 from everything I've read. So far I only know of Onkyo supporting HDCP 2.2.

S~

Just got the beast in and setup. Good bit larger than an X4000, obviously more amp under the hood if you look inside.

Also nice to see two fans, reminds me of my Onkyo 818 that ran very cool even when I pushed it hard.

Arrived with up to date FW.

IMG_2616_zps49ebdebf.jpg

IMG_2617_zps4f850242.jpg

IMG_2619_zps6e90052a.jpg

Reactions: teachsac
It really reminds me of the Onkyo 818 I had, in size.

FYI, I ran spears and munsil and it Denon passes thru without mucking with the video signal per test patterns. I have video conversion and IP scaler off however. I know this is usually a given, but I did own an Onkyo that mucked with the patterns even with that off...

Since I started missing the amp (sound difference during high volume on movies and music stands out to me) I grabbed a holiday deal on a 200wx3 XPA-3 gen 2. I know some think that amps are not needed, especially with Klipsch, but the more "open" sound vs an AVR amp can be detected by me. Sure, it may be in my head, but I dont think so...

4520ci preamp and XPA-3 generation 2

IMG_0500_zpsecdd01c2.jpg

• Number of channels: 3
  • Power output (all channels driven):
    330 watts RMS @ 4 ohm (<0.1% THD)
    200 watts RMS @ 8 ohm (<0.1% THD)
  • Rated power bandwidth: 20 Hz to 20 kHz +/- .075 dB
  • Minimum Recommended Load: 4 Ohms
  • Broadband Frequency response: 10 Hz to 80 kHz, +0 -1dB
  • Amplifier gain: 29 dB
  • THD + noise: <0.05%
  • Signal to Noise Ratio, A-weighted:
    1 watt: > 96 dB
    Full power: > 118 dB
  • Damping Factor: > 500 into 8-ohm load
  • Input impedance:
    unbalanced: 23.5 kohms
    balanced: 33 kohms
  • Power supply: 850 VA toroidal transformer with 60,000uF storage capacitance
  • Input Sensitivity (for rated power; 8-ohm load): 1.1 V load
  • Trigger Input: 5 - 20 V (AC or DC); <10 mA input current required
  • Trigger Output: 12 VDC; can drive any load up to 100 mA
  • Power Requirements: 115 VAC or 230 VAC +/- 10% @ 50 / 60 Hz
  • Size:
  • unboxed: 17” wide x 7 3/4” high x 19” deep
  • boxed: 23 1/2" wide x 12" high x 24 3/4" deep
  • Weight: 57.5 lbs (68.5 lbs boxed)

I think since I had the outlaw for so long, swapping to the 4520 only was an obvious change to me during movies and high demand. Not that the 4520 isn't for sure nice amp section, but I am def a proponent of separates.

Have had a hard time making the amp even get warm, but I pushed pretty hard on Into the Storm and the last 20 mins is pretty action packed with regards to active audio. Left and right channels got warm, but the middle channel for the center was still pretty cool. I'd expect the two front towers to be more power intensive.

Impressed so far with the amp sound and performance, especially when you consider what they sell for.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)