Denon Expands AirPlay, Networking In AVRs

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
[h=3]By Joseph Palenchar -- TWICE, 4/25/2012[/h]

Mahwah, N.J. - Denon is bringing down the cost of AirPlay and networking in it's A/V receiver (AVR) lineup to a suggested $399 from $549 with the launch of four new core series models.

The core series consists of the 7.1-channel AVR-1913 at a suggested $579 and three 5.1-channel models. They are the $449 AVR-1713, $399 AVR-1613 and $249 AVR-1513.

http://www.twice.com/article/483630-Denon_Expands_AirPlay_Networking_In_AVRs.php

The new Denon ##13 line up also sports a new facelift and improved GUI, however as always with Denon you need to ask not what have they added but what have they taken away!
Untill I have the new ##13's in stock I can't confirm but the website comparison tool shows none of the new models capable of upconverting comosite inputs to the HDMI output! Meaning you will need to run a composite cable to the TV from the AVR and switch TV source if using any of the now very limited composite inputs on the AVR.

The one feature we realy wanted to see on the 1913 and up was DNLA Video! Looks like thats gonna be next years new feature.

Still, a high quality 5.1 with Air Play, USB, DNLA Audio and internet Radio for only $399 can't be beat.

I love my new Denon that I bought about 8 months ago. It is a higher end model though and it does everything you could want.

Problem with AVR upgraditis, is its really wasteful. Its basic deal is to switch video and sound good, upgrading every 1-2 years offers nothing unless something new like 3D support comes along.

Thats what matters, and Ive loved Denon and Marantz sound. My Marantz is set for 7.2, which is more than I need, but the (.2) matters since i want to add a second 12" sub next month.

I had a Denon 3000 that lasted me from the early 1990s until 2006. I finally had to upgrade when HDMI became the norm, but I really do miss that amp for its clean sound and solid construction. Actually, I haven't had the heart to get rid of it, and it is sitting on a shelf, just waiting for me to find a job for it.

When it comes to choosing a new AVR it's impossible to say "this is the best" as everyone has their own opinions, preferences and connectivity needs. However as a professional AV installer let me explain why as a company we prefer the Denon line over the others.
"System Integration"
With Denon we have found that they as a manufacturer fully understand the need for 3rd party control better then any other brand. What this means to us is every function feature or control has a definitive "on/off up/down left right" button. With automation a toggle or scroll is a bitch to work around with programming variables and can result in an unstable control system that is not acceptable when people are paying good money for something they expect to work flawlessly every time.

I'm a big Harman Kardon fan and would say there audio performance will easily beat any competitor in the same price bracket however, as a Harman dealer we very rarely use them for the above reason!

So with the new Denons you get: unbeatable value, above average performance, good looks, unbeatable features, easy to use remote and great integration capabilities.
Things to watch for: very limited connectivity other then HDMI, no digital zone 2 capability with limited analog inputs, low end models have week amps.

Due to the connectivity and amp outputs I consider the 1913 to be "entry level" and the 3313 (not out yet) to be the true work horse of the line.

Enjoy.

D.M.

Don't get me wrong, I love Denon. However, the needs of a home automation installer are different that the typical user. We are unlikely to put in the Crestron controller or do multi-zone independent a/v.

If a receiver doesn't show discrete codes on the front panel and remote, they could still be available as hidden codes. A good example is the Onkyo AV receivers. They do have discrete power on/off, even though the front panel and remote are toggles. You can generally find the discrete codes at the Logitech Harmony site or at remote Central.

The new Denon ##13 line up also sports a new facelift and improved GUI, however as always with Denon you need to ask not what have they added but what have they taken away!
Untill I have the new ##13's in stock I can't confirm but the website comparison tool shows none of the new models capable of upconverting comosite inputs to the HDMI output! Meaning you will need to run a composite cable to the TV from the AVR and switch TV source if using any of the now very limited composite inputs on the AVR.

The one feature we realy wanted to see on the 1913 and up was DNLA Video! Looks like thats gonna be next years new feature.

Still, a high quality 5.1 with Air Play, USB, DNLA Audio and internet Radio for only $399 can't be beat.

Upscaling is a definite need for some, but much like having a phono input, it's less and less desirable for many. You don't see phono inputs in entry level equipment anymore, and the same may happen for the upscaling feature.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts