Derrek Lee dealt to Giants

Chado

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 11, 2005
Orlando, FL
http://www.theheckler.com/index.php?page=0000-DH-05-08-01&idrub=3&idsite=1&PHPSESSID=45f8c40ed43b85dd3b54acc513d90bbc

Hendry gets prospects, fast food coupons in trade deadline joke gone wrong
The Daily Heckler, Monday, August 1, 2005

While today's Cubs headlines are dominated by Ryne Sandberg's Hall of Fame induction and the Matt Lawton trade, one piece of news has slipped past reporters: Cubs GM Jim Hendry inadvertently traded All-Star first baseman Derrek Lee to the San Francisco Giants for two prospects and some Burger King coupons.

"I was joking with [Giants GM] Brian Sabean about how I ripped him off earlier in the year with the LaTroy Hawkins deal, and he made a joke about getting Derrek Lee for two minor leaguers and some coupons. I said yes, but I was only kidding," Hendry said forlornly. "I was under a lot of pressure to make a move and wasn't serious, but according to the Giants' attorneys, it was an enforceable oral contract."

Lee was stunned at the news of the trade.

"I'm contending for the triple-crown and they trade me for coupons?" Lee asked. "I don't understand this move at all, but then again, I didn't understand why Hendry didn't re-sign [Moises] Alou."

Several Cubs players and manager Dusty Baker refused comment. But, one player who did not want to be named said, "I guess I should tone it down a little at the plate. But I can't suck too bad, because then I might be off the team. There are a lot of mixed signals out there."

Surprisingly, Cubs president Andy MacPhail did answer reporters' questions and attempted to put a positive spin on the accidental trade.

"The way Derrek has been playing lately, we probably couldn't afford to pay his salary after his contract is up after 2006," MacPhail said. "We need to look at saving money around here these days. That's why we didn't make any substantial deals this past off-season. But the good news is that the Chicago Cubs organization will only raise ticket prices by 15 percent next season. I'd hate to think how much they would have gone up had Derrek still been a member of this team."

WGN-TV broadcaster Bob Brenly was delighted at the news.

"You know, Derrek was setting too high a standard for the other players in the clubhouse," Brenly said. "One guy having too good a year puts too much pressure on guys who are struggling at the plate. I think this will be just the thing this team needs to take off and win the Wild Card."

:D

I was hoping the URL would reveal that. It's a great site for Cub fans who are especially familiar with Chicago and Wrigleyville.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)