Desktop Shortcut Icons on Vista ?

Frank Jr.

Beati pacifici 5:9
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 8, 2004
Columbia S.C.
I recently purchased a new HP computer with Vista and there is something very annoying with some of the desktop shortcuts that I have placed on it. SatelliteGuys appears normal while shortcuts like YouTube and the National Weather Service are not. The white background is of normal size but the actual logo is so small it is almost unrecognizable. I have tried everything I know. My XP computer shortcuts are all normal. I have looked at some third party software that would enable me to modify the shortcuts but even they do not address this issue. Any ideas? Here is a picture that illustrates this issue.

Attachments

• 100_3582.JPG
    100_3582.JPG
    773.9 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:
It might actually have something to do with how the sites are programmed and whether or not they have a "real" icon attached to them. The picture looks like Vista is just putting the favicon - the little icons that show up in your bookmarks - inside of a generic page icon, rather than using a full-size icon like the Sat Guys one, but my guess is that somehow SatGuys' programming includes a full size icon while the others do not... although the fact that they are fine in XP would seem to indicate otherwise.

That being said, I would think you could download an icon of some type for those other sites and just use the "change icon" option for that shortcut...? I guess I'm probably not offering much real help, but I avoid desktop shortcuts like the plague - I keep mine clean - so it's not something I've played with much.

EDIT: I tried those three sites on my machine (XP) and while the icons are full size, the NWS and YouTube ones are very blurry, which leads me to belive that XP is just stretching them to fit the size of the icon, rather than the icons actually being bigger.

Try this:

Right click on the Desktop and click on View and Classic Icons.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/109883-internet-shortcut.html

Last edited:
I recently purchased a new HP computer with Vista and there is something very annoying with some of the desktop shortcuts that I have placed on it. SatelliteGuys appears normal while shortcuts like YouTube and the National Weather Service are not. The white background is of normal size but the actual logo is so small it is almost unrecognizable. I have tried everything I know. My XP computer shortcuts are all normal. I have looked at some third party software that would enable me to modify the shortcuts but even they do not address this issue. Any ideas? Here is a picture that illustrates this issue.
I used to live where your wallpaper picture was taken.

It might actually have something to do with how the sites are programmed and whether or not they have a "real" icon attached to them. The picture looks like Vista is just putting the favicon - the little icons that show up in your bookmarks - inside of a generic page icon, rather than using a full-size icon like the Sat Guys one, but my guess is that somehow SatGuys' programming includes a full size icon while the others do not... although the fact that they are fine in XP would seem to indicate otherwise.

That being said, I would think you could download an icon of some type for those other sites and just use the "change icon" option for that shortcut...? I guess I'm probably not offering much real help, but I avoid desktop shortcuts like the plague - I keep mine clean - so it's not something I've played with much.

EDIT: I tried those three sites on my machine (XP) and while the icons are full size, the NWS and YouTube ones are very blurry, which leads me to belive that XP is just stretching them to fit the size of the icon, rather than the icons actually being bigger.

Try this:

Right click on the Desktop and click on View and Classic Icons.

Internet Shortcut - Vista Forums

Thanks for the effort!;)

hold down control and move your mouse wheel.

That's pretty cool but doesn't change the size of the small logo in the box..... I think ONOUsfan hit the nail on the head.... "I tried those three sites on my machine (XP) and while the icons (logos) are full size, the NWS and YouTube ones are very blurry, which leads me to belive that XP is just stretching them to fit the size of the icon, rather than the icons (logos) actually being bigger."

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts