determining bandwidth

dendox

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 1, 2006
San Antonio, TX
I visit this site somwhat more infrequently lately and have noticed lots of talk about bandwidth. I am sorry if this has been addressed, but I seached and couldn't find it. Maybe my search skills suck.

As for the question. I know what bandwidth is and what the issues are, but I notice that some of you quote actual numbers for channels at particular times. How do you determine what the bandwidth is at a particular time?

I saw someone say - as mentioned in the "channels mapping" thread - and I searched but couldn't find it. Could someone help me out? IS this something the standard joe can determine - or do you have to have some special equipment?

I look forward to your responses.

Brian

You need special equipment. A modified receiver that will allow you to feed the output to a computer, and then you can use software to calculate bitrate. At almost $900 for a modified vip622, its sadly out of my range -- if I still want to remain married, that is. :D

say what?

A modified 622? First I''ve heard. Guess I didn't get the memo. ;)

I thought they used TSreader (free version) software, a DVB card ($50 ... $100), and a computer to get those bandwidth numbers.

Features (edited)
Parses MPEG, A/52 (AC3) and DTS audio streams to show bitrate/mode settings.
PID usage graph with percentage displays for each PID
Actual bitrate on PIDs carrying PCR and estimated bitrates for non PCR carrying PIDs
More features are available in one of the paid versions, ( at $100+)
The free features above seem to provide the bandwidth usage discussed.

Oh, since this is posted in the hi def section, maybe you need a special USB based receiver which consists of a Dish 6000 front end and an over-priced USB interface...?
That might go for $300 or $400 - I haven't looked lately.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts