Did anyone just lose 119 for a few moments?

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Its nice and clear here and I just lost 119 for about 5 to 10 minutes. (110 and 61.5 was fine) Its a clear night here and no rain. Reallu wierd.

Its back now though.

It freaked for about 5 minutes here. Clear as can be in eastern PA. I was hoping someone else saw what I did. :)

Me too, Been running around outside like a dog,
checking for loose connections, ran 10 switch tests.
Must be Mark Jackson's salute to satelliteguys.
He trying to give up 148.

Same here, my wife let out a scream as it came right at the end of one of her lack of reality shows :)

The problem was caused by bad weather moving through Cheyenne (DISH's uplink center).

I believe that DISH uplinks the 110 (locals) from Gilbert, Az (the spotbeam transponders).

Bill, thanks for the info. How the heck did you find out what the problem was so fast? You should work for our power company. We could have used you a couple weeks ago, we had a little outage then too.

Filip said:
Bill, thanks for the info. How the heck did you find out what the problem was so fast? You should work for our power company. We could have used you a couple weeks ago, we had a little outage then too.
Filip,

I looked at the RADAR for Cheyenne at http://www.crh.noaa.gov/radar/loop/DS.p37cr/si.kcys.shtml

The storm has passed now, but while the outage was going on it was right over Cheyenne.

Bill R said:
The problem was caused by bad weather moving through Cheyenne (DISH's uplink center).

If that is the case, why was the signal strength zero when I checked on the dish pointing screen?

As it started to come back, some transponders were out, while others were okay.

Bichon said:
Bill R said:

If that is the case, why was the signal strength zero when I checked on the dish pointing screen?

As it started to come back, some transponders were out, while others were okay.

The reason you saw no signal is because,as a safety factor, if there is no uplink signal (from the ground because the storm was blocking the signal) there is no downlink signal from the satellite. As the storm cleared the area, the satellite was able to receive some signal and those transponders came back first.

Bill, So that is how you did it. Don't you know magicians never reveal the trick. Good job. Thanks for the link!

yeah- I thought it was another of those FL thunderstorms over the Everglades but I went online to check the radar and nothing there - clear skies for a change

Yeah...I lost it right in the middle of the Tampa Bay Bucs' glorious pounding of Philly. Fortunately I have an OTA back-up system, so I just switched to that unitl it stabilized on the Dish.

TimR><>
Tampa Bay, FL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts