Did anyone on autopay with free HD...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

GailLA

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 6, 2009
Northern CA
... who got the email saying that if we stayed on autopay we would get 2 more years of free HD, Did you get a postcard saying you were going to lose your free HD because you weren't on autopay. I checked and it says enrolled next to Autopay in my account. I can't enroll again.

I called retention to see if they can do something to honor these two lies that were sent out the last two weeks and I didn't get crap. Was very nice. Told them that I understand they need to make money and cannot give things away for free. I even stated that I do not expect to be given anything for free. But it is poor customer service to offer something to someone and not honor it. In doing so, send out something else that is a flat out lie.

This is what I told Retention: "I understand but I also need to look out for my own financial interests. I have 3 other options at my house, Dish, FiOS, and TWC. If I can get a comparable service for less money with the other providers, then I will be calling back later to cancel my service. This is not because I expect free stuff; it is simply because if I can pay less for more programming or the same programming with someone else, then I will."

I thanked him for his help and said I maybe calling back later this week to cancel.

Thanks DodgerKing for the link and your experience. It is disconcerting to get these things. It is as if one hand doesn't know what the other is doing. For now I'm staying on autopay and hoping for the best. If the HD charge appears, I'll be on the phone.

DirecTV screwed up big time here. They either flat out lied or they had a very bad breakdown in communication. No matter which it is, it is definitely misleading and is going to piss off a lot of people. First, promising them something they will not be getting and second sending out a postcard to cover their arses with another lie (or very poor communication).

I agree DodgerKing. Regardless of how it happened, these emails and postcards are going to bite them in the butt. I told the office of the president about it months ago. They could have stopped this latest round that was sent out. If they don't honor another two years of free hd for everyone, it will be a fiasco.

I just got off the phone with the office of the president. After telling me that the cards and emails were essentially a computer glitch, I got a 12 month extension of the free hd access. Good enough for now.

I don't think there is still a need to charge more for HD. But all providers do it, even those claiming free HD. Those that claim free HD put that cost on the HD receiver/DVR instead of the package.

I got a 12 mo. extension. Several times was told to call after it run out however I was having problems with Century Link's bundling of the DTV service. CL said it was DTV's problem and insisted I must talk with DTV to get it ironed out. While on the phone with DTV I asked about an extension was given 12 mos. without much discussion. Maybe the CSR felt sorry with the problem I was unable to resolve with CL.. FWIW it wasn't worth the heartburn and I cancelled the DTV bundling but that's another story.

Status
Please reply by conversation.