Did I get the azimuth, etc. right for the AT9???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bertbarndoor

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
:confused:

I used the tool at Sadoun to calculate for 101 D* bird (which I'm told it should point at). So, for the 5LNB AT9 Dish, the coordinates for Ottawa (at 45° 19' N & 75° 40' W) are:

32.1 Elevation
228.1 Azimuth (compass reading w/ magnetic north taken into account [+14 degrees])
23.2 Skew (counterclockwise)

Is that correct??? Thanks!

Don't know the numbers for your location, but here's a trick for the AT9. Find the 101 first. Tweak az and el. Then, do your skew to find the 119. At that point, you will probably lose the 101. Leave the skew alone, but readjust the elevation to bring back the 101. Then, go back to the 119, tweak the elevation again, and you should have a bullseye. Don't worry about the 110. If you have 101 and 119, you'll automatically have 110.

That’s not just a trick but also the basic instructions that come with the AT9. You should never loose 101 from adjusting the skew unless you loosen the bolts so much that the dish droops. I’ve done a bunch and 101 stays very stable as you rotate the skew or tilt.
Bob
thetractorking said:
Don't know the numbers for your location, but here's a trick for the AT9. Find the 101 first. Tweak az and el. Then, do your skew to find the 119. At that point, you will probably lose the 101. Leave the skew alone, but readjust the elevation to bring back the 101. Then, go back to the 119, tweak the elevation again, and you should have a bullseye. Don't worry about the 110. If you have 101 and 119, you'll automatically have 110.

I've always just pointed off the 101 sat and 110 and 119 are always there, what's up with all the skewing, you should never adjust the skew after you hit 101, should you? I have put up way too many of the AT-9's and have never needed to adjust the skew...

SATMAN IN MEMPHIS said:
I've always just pointed off the 101 sat and 110 and 119 are always there, what's up with all the skewing, you should never adjust the skew after you hit 101, should you? I have put up way too many of the AT-9's and have never needed to adjust the skew...
I have had an increase in level on the 119 on at least half of the Ka/Ku's I've installed (about 20) when adjusting tilt. It may be the truer the plumb of the mast, the less need for tilt adjustment.

When you tilt the skew after aligning you will probably not have the network 99 bird when it gets turned on. If the mast is plumb then you should not need to adjust the skew.

How do you know if it’s not needed unless you do it? If your not adjusting the skew as part of the AT9 install then your not doing your job.
Rick
SATMAN IN MEMPHIS said:
When you tilt the skew after aligning you will probably not have the network 99 bird when it gets turned on. If the mast is plumb then you should not need to adjust the skew.

SATMAN IN MEMPHIS said:

you have to adjust the skew to get the highest peak for 101 and 119 . its the same with adjusting the elevation and the azimuth . you guys have to know just because you have 101 on your meter or on the tv doesnt mean that you have the other 4 satellites . the 5lnb dish require a clear window to avoid low signals

just because some dmas may not have anything on it sure doesn't mean it isn't operational; which it hs been for som time.

I install my systems, you guys can install yours, I don't need to be brow beaten..I have never, and I mean never had to adjust the scew in order to peak any of the birds from an AT-9. The 99 is not on here...FYI... You guys just wait to hear something and jump on. This place is getting to be a joke. I guess since I have been doing sat installs since 1986 my experience means poo. That's only 20 years, I pay a mortgage on two places and have a boat and two truck payments, I don't know jack sh!t.. Use your damned levels and you too will not be adjusting scews. Have a good day.

Never had to adjust the screw on an AT9? You mean you don’t peak the antenna by balancing the left and right wobble adjustment?
Bob
SATMAN IN MEMPHIS said:
I install my systems, you guys can install yours, I don't need to be brow beaten..I have never, and I mean never had to adjust the scew in order to peak any of the birds from an AT-9. The 99 is not on here...FYI... You guys just wait to hear something and jump on. This place is getting to be a joke. I guess since I have been doing sat installs since 1986 my experience means poo. That's only 20 years, I pay a mortgage on two places and have a boat and two truck payments, I don't know jack sh!t.. Use your damned levels and you too will not be adjusting scews. Have a good day.

I still wonder just because some guys don't see 99 and/or 103 satellite, they assume they are not operational and then tell people that they aren't ?!?

YES FOLKS the 99 and 103 satellites are operational! But just because you and your area may not have anything on them yet, doesn't mean they don't work; but they are still there and working just fine regardless of what you hear or read.

I have never seen or been to China, but I know they are there and doing just fine without me.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.