Did I understand this correctly? (MPEG4)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Harry

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 11, 2003
Las Cruces, NM
From the chat on the Dish forum, E* plans on going to mpeg4. This will make the current HD boxes useless? We would have to buy new boxes? Time frame is four years. I wonder how many will drop E*?

In a few years we will likely be asking to go with MPEG4 when there are dozens of HD channels out there that could not be carried otherwise.

In 4 years most of the current DISH HD boxes will have died or be ready for replacement so DISH will offer some type of buydown to keep you.

This is said to be a 4 year plan...MPEG2 would not be discontinued during this phase in phase out plan...Personally I welcome the change...the PQ is supposed to kick ass. With all the complaining I see amongst the forums about wanting more HD and better PQ I don't care to see the people who aren't willing to change from the "Crap" they complain about everyday. Frankly I have been in many discussions about this and they will likely offer a special upgrade program or even perhaps a buy back program would be instituted, when the time is ripe. When's the last time you bought a computer...yesterday...oops sorry it's obsolete.

Oh and Voom will be there first, E* and D* are both working on it too. So no matter where you go, It's going to have to be considered as a possibility.

Just my opinion,
Jason

nippjas said:
This is said to be a 4 year plan...MPEG2 would not be discontinued during this phase in phase out plan...Personally I welcome the change...the PQ is supposed to kick ass. With all the complaining I see amongst the forums about wanting more HD and better PQ I don't care to see the people who aren't willing to change from the "Crap" they complain about everyday. Frankly I have been in many discussions about this and they will likely offer a special upgrade program or even perhaps a buy back program would be instituted, when the time is ripe. When's the last time you bought a computer...yesterday...oops sorry it's obsolete.

Oh and Voom will be there first, E* and D* are both working on it too. So no matter where you go, It's going to have to be considered as a possibility.

Just my opinion,
Jason

Exactly, I would hate to see DTV go the way of Computers where you have to upgrade every year or so.

If they offer a buyback or a swap-out then that'd be great. But if they expect me to shell out $300-500 every two years that ain't going to happen.

One of my local OTA stations told me that by July of 2005, everyone is supposed to be transmitting at full power for the Digital signal. Perhaps we will see a significant price drop in STB's and Satellite boxes then.

Harry said:
Perhaps we will see a significant price drop in STB's and Satellite boxes then.
There already has been. I paid less than $200 for my SIR T-165 more than a year ago. You can find NIB STBs on Yahoo Shopping or Ebay cheap.

Jason

nippjas said:
There already has been. I paid less than $200 for my SIR T-165 more than a year ago. You can find NIB STBs on Yahoo Shopping or Ebay cheap.

I looked at the SIR T-165 and decided to buy an LG STB. It is great,, have better pic qulaity than the 811. I paid $260 for it.

Funny you mention EBAY. I messed with EBAY for a couple weeks bidding on different STB's. Some butt head would always put in a winning bid about 1 minute before bidding closed, and it would always be for more money than you could buy it else where! Never figured those guys out. I gave up on Ebay.

Harry said:
I looked at the SIR T-165 and decided to buy an LG STB. It is great,, have better pic qulaity than the 811. I paid $260 for it.

Funny you mention EBAY. I messed with EBAY for a couple weeks bidding on different STB's. Some butt head would always put in a winning bid about 1 minute before bidding closed, and it would always be for more money than you could buy it else where! Never figured those guys out. I gave up on Ebay.
The trick is you put you bid in for the maximum your willing to pay, this way it will bid for you by proxy...meaning it will only increment your bid amount by the minimum bid amount required to win the actution...I the increment is $5, current bid is $50, put in $100 (If you are willing to go this high) This way it will automatically bid in $5 increments everytime your outbid all the way up to $100. Not all at once.

Jason

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)