Did I waste time and money getting an LTE filter?

edisonprime

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
I stated in another thread that I believe I got better reception when replacing the power supply plug for my preamp (because the previous one was damaged). But not too long ago, I had an LTE filter hooked up to my preamp on the roof in case any cell phone towers show up close. But now I think the channel 24-1 thru 24-4 (KYIN PBS Mason City, Iowa stations and I live in Rochester, Minnesota) are weaker again, and I'm not sure I'm imagining things or did I really notice it was better after the preamp power supply being replaced, but yet prior to the LTE filter being hooked up? Or am I imagining things? The RF signal for KYIN PBS is 18 if that helps, and yes it is the weakest station in my direct market. Like I stated, I had the LTE filter hooked up in case it ever needed to be there, but should I have it taken out and not hook it up until any cell towers actually get close? Sorry about the bad grammar BTW, I'm in a hurry.

Well, I got anxious about this and bought the LNF filter couple of weeks ago. I didn't see a bit of difference even on my weakest station so just put it in my gadget drawer. If I ever suspect it could help it will be there waiting for me.
Unless it is very difficult to access the installation point, all one can do is trial and error.

I have not measured the newer LTE specific filters but similar cheap made in China filters can often have 2dB or more insertion loss within the pass band and the attenuation near the 700MHz cutoff frequency may only be a few dB with little effect on interfering signals in the low 700Mhz range. Placing one in line may give some noticeable degradation to the desired TV signals due to the filters crappy insertion loss specs. That's what you get for $15 or $20.

A high end custom filter will have much less than .5dB loss and more like .25dB loss within the pass band and a super sharp cutoff where it can be 30-40dB down in the lower 700Mhz band just a few MHz above the pass band and 60dB or more down over the rest of the LTE target range. That will cost you maybe $400 on up. You get what you pay for.

I would recommend using a spectrum analyzer to see exactly what interfering signals might be showing up at your TV input to see if you even need a filter. Then sweep any filter you get to see if it does what its supposed to without degrading TV signals you want or need.

Reactions: TheKrell
It is my opinion that most people do not need LTE filters, and yet tons of people are installing them anyway. So statistically speaking, there are plenty of people who have wasted money on LTE filters. I can't tell you if you're one of them or not, but if you've noticed no improvement in reception since installing it, then it probably didn't matter for you.

On the other hand, I'm not sure it's worth spending the money to have it removed now that it's in place, either, unless your reception is notably worse.

- Trip

Reactions: TheKrell
It made a difference for me. I regularly record one specific show on one specific channel and on every recording there was very noticeable interference present. Since I added the filter those recordings show no problem what so ever. Adding the filter was the only change made. Personally I wouldn't add a filter unless I saw an actual interference problem. Don't waste money treating a non-existant issue. YMMV.

Reactions: TheKrell and Trip
I bought the one offered by Channel Master. The only difference it made was to decrease my signal on one particular channel (RF 19) which is weak to begin with. So in the drawer it went.

They’re removing my Channel Master LTE filter sometime next week. I’m going to save that LTE filter for when and if LTE signals ever come.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)