Did L441 break my VIP-622

JimK2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
Yesterday after the L441 my VIP 622 could not find any satellites but that was fixed with re-boot. Today same thing, can't not find any satellites. Zero signal strength. Check Switch shows:

Satellite Input 1
Port: 1
Satellite: x
Trans: x
Switch: None

Satellite Input 2
Port: 1
Satellite: 110
Trans: x
Switch: DP Feedw/Separator

I have DP 44 switch hook up to two vip 622 and the other vip 622 works just fine. What's the odds that 2 ports on a dp44 switch fail simutainously, that's why I suspect the vip-622.

This leased vip 622 is 14 months old, will DISH $charge$ me for replacement

Last edited:
If you look close they"fixed" the signal strength bar on all Vip's receivers with the L441 and L349 software's look lower now to improved the signals levels on your setups, If you was watching TV you shouldn't ran the check switch, On the other hand now you know you have a alignment problem in your dish or dishes and also I saw in your post doesn't recognized your input device so I don't think you have a "broken" receiver.

I have a similar problem. I turned on my tv, pressed 'select' to continue, and it was on a screen trying to obtain a satelllite.

My 622 has a problem with a check switch as well. It is unable to find any satellites. My 510 and 301 have no issues at all. This tells me that the DPP44 is working correctly, and my 622 is to blame

I have a similar problem. I turned on my tv, pressed 'select' to continue, and it was on a screen trying to obtain a satelllite.

My 622 has a problem with a check switch as well. It is unable to find any satellites. My 510 and 301 have no issues at all. This tells me that the DPP44 is working correctly, and my 622 is to blame

I think you problem is different that the OP have,I suggest to you to do a reboot on your 622 to see if come any picture on it.

After 20 re-boots the 110 sat (odd transponders only) came up and then a check switch passed for the 3 satellites but on re-boot it made it to 'progress 5' then jumped back to 'progress 0' and stayed (cycled through all transponders). 10 more re-boots finally it got to 'progress 5' and I have all channels again. The other vip-622 worked fine on the other dp44 ports. I guess I'll have to swap them and see what happens.

Sounds like your LNB's are "drift"ing away.. This new software doesn't seem to have any tolerance for LNB's that are getting a high drift.

Could that effect one vip 622 box but not the other that are both hooked up to a dp44 and 110, 119 and 129 simutainously

Last edited:
LNB drift is a strange thing.. One receiver may have more tolerance than another one.. It's hard to say.. But my first guess on your problem would be something to do with the LNB. But without being there to troubleshoot, I can't really give it a full diagnoses.. Sometimes cableing issues, or connections that aren't good can cause this problem too.. Make sure all you connections look good and are of the approved type. Barrels and groundblocks that aren't rated to 3gig can cause this too.. Corrosion at any connection is always a bad thing

LNB drift is a strange thing.. One receiver may have more tolerance than another one.. It's hard to say.. But my first guess on your problem would be something to do with the LNB. But without being there to troubleshoot, I can't really give it a full diagnoses.. Sometimes cableing issues, or connections that aren't good can cause this problem too.. Make sure all you connections look good and are of the approved type. Barrels and groundblocks that aren't rated to 3gig can cause this too.. Corrosion at any connection is always a bad thing

I agree with Mark
If you are a tech savvy check your connections and terminals and if you system is properly grounded ,same thing with your switch,If you are not call DN or your local retailer,if you still in contract the svc should have no charge to you, otherwise charge will be apply + parts if need to replace something.

After the L 4.41 update my 622 has a nice red X for my 129 sat when i check system info but i still got great signal on the signal meter and dont lose any channels, i never had this problem untill L 4.41 so i would say that there is some glitchs with the signal meter part of the update that are starting to show up.

I just had this happen with my 622. It was due to LNB drift. They are coming to replace this this weekend. DISH is doing it for free. The check switch error seems to have root cause in the LNB drift.

Bill

I too am having new difficulties with my 622 since the L441 upgrade. However, I am not sure this is LNB Drift. My 622 started doing this on the 15th just after it received L441. However these are almost new DP dual LNBs connected through a DPP44 switch and about 20 feet of 3ghz solid copper RG6 with quality, approved fittings. I had excellent signals before the software change, and still have good signals on almost all transponders and no problems with my switch test. Since the L441 upgrade, certain transponders just dont come in on one tuner or the other.

I am a DISH dealer so I will be swapping out my own switch, DPP seperator, Diplexors, LNBs and cables today to try to determine what the cause is. I will also be in contact with tech support If I cannot resolve it on my own.

What I found. I was trying to trouble shoot my vip-622 problem right during the saturday outage and really messed it up. With me, when 129 was down and I switched to a channel on the 129 satellite, I'd get a blank screen (then going back to channels on 110 & 119 satellite had blank screen too) and the box would crash and re-boots and stays at 'progress 0' indefently. A 'check switch' would show I lost the 3 satellite's. I found tuning to a channel on 110 satellite and re-booting brought back 110 and 119. By monday morning everything seems to be working normal.

Just lost everything again 9/22/07 8:35pst

I have been having trouble with my 522 and 622 after L441 also.

I will lose the satellite on a clear day, and it will take a few check switches to get all the satellites back.
I have 118, 110, and 61.5.
DPP44, Twin(1), Twin(2), Dual(4)

On my 622, when I go to system info and details, I get:
LNB Drift Detected...
0x03,0xa1, 61.5(e -5)

Is this going to require a service call?

I was finally able to diagnose the problem...... It turns out that I have a cable gone bad. One of the connectors on the swith end of the RG6 cable was no good.
I replaced the connector, and left 3/8" of a lead extending beyond the threaded sleave. This solved my problem. I have not experienced anything else since then.. other than a "LNB Drift Detected".

Interesting thread...

I too have been having problems with my 622 losing signal and indicating "LNB drift". It seems to correspond with the 441 code push.

This 622 is a refurb unit just installed to replace the previous one that refused to reboot. The 441 roll-out was coincident with the receiver replacement -- the old receiver did not have 441 and the new one downloaded it as soon as I activated it.

Nothing has changed with the cables or dish 1000. The signal was great and reliable with the old receiver (and earlier code).

Here's the thing that makes me say hmmm...

The "details" regarding by LNB drift state a 5 degree drift on the even transponders for ALL the birds. That is, (e -5) for 110, 119, and 129. If it truly is an LNB problem why did the DPP Twin AND the DP Dual LNBFs both degrade equally at the same exact time? Does anybody with LNB drift problems notice the same thing?

The Dish CSR said my LNB needs to be replaced but I'm not so sure. Maybe I'll just wait until the 443 code gets pushed to see if things get better.

~CJ5

I was finally able to diagnose the problem...... It turns out that I have a cable gone bad. One of the connectors on the swith end of the RG6 cable was no good.
I replaced the connector, and left 3/8" of a lead extending beyond the threaded sleave. This solved my problem. I have not experienced anything else since then.. other than a "LNB Drift Detected".
I suddenly had no signal on 622 nor 722. I was feeding switch port 1 with one line and using ports 2 and 3 for the receivers. After messing a while got signal if I plugged directly to port 1 or thru the power inserter. Called Dish Thursday and got a Saturday visit set up. Friday night I laid an RG-59 (25 ft, what I had available) from port 4 to 722. It was OK. I went out and scratched clean one RG-6 stinger to "cable central" and got it working on one and with port 1, I was up. The service guy found more blackening of the core wires, so he cut new ends and replaced the DPP44 and inserter--thanks. Now all lines work. He didn't think could just power out on one, signal in on two lines but it had been working that way for many months and it makes it easy to service one or the other. Even in a dry climate you can get corrosion of the copper, and maybe inside the switch, too.
-Ken

DPP44 with 119 (TP11=52) 110 (TP11=52) 129 (TP30=39) 61.5 (TP11=39, need to peak)
about 30' to 722 (443) and 130' to 622 (441) (previously a 921 and unused 501)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)