Did new software fix these 3 Hopper/Joey issues ?

mario315

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Mar 20, 2008
Florida
I've been travelling and away from my Hopper/Joeys and wanted to know if the latest software updates (during last month) fixed the following 3 issues:

1) Picture breaking up and macroblocking when pressing "INFO" button when tuning to an OTA channel (using the OTA module)...
2) The audio/video stutter/interruption glitch every half hour at the top and bottom of each hour.....
3) The Joeys inability to tune separate OTA channels (from the Hopper's OTA tuner) even when they have their own OTA module connected with their own OTA coax connection (separately from the Hopper)... Just like my 722's and 222's were able to do previously....

If any of these were not fixed, would anyone know when they are scheduled to be addressed..... Thanks a ton, guys !

I believe that S238 has finally fixed the stuttering at :59 and :30. I've had the update for several days now and haven't noticed the problem. Also fixed the quick flash of the screen when the you would pause/unpause programs that I had.

-Todd

Well, the roll-out of S238 has been slow. I have not received yet, so I can't comment on 1. However:

2. This is a problem that exists outside of, or at least not exclusive to the Hopper. VIP receivers have the same problem.

3. What you are trying to do (as I read it) won't work. OTA modules are for Hoppers only, not Joeys.

Discussion here:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/305583-S-238

Last edited:
3) The Joeys inability to tune separate OTA channels (from the Hopper's OTA tuner) even when they have their own OTA module connected with their own OTA coax connection (separately from the Hopper)... Just like my 722's and 222's were able to do previously....

If any of these were not fixed, would anyone know when they are scheduled to be addressed..... Thanks a ton, guys !
since the joey is not considered a receiver, the easy way to resolve this is by replacing the joey with an additional hopper.

I never had the 29/59 issue on the 622 or the 722.

I haven't used a 722 since my hoppers were installed.

They screwed up something in software and it needs to be addressed!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2.x

since the joey is not considered a receiver, the easy way to resolve this is by replacing the joey with an additional hopper.

But since the Joey is using one of the 3 Hopper tuners, why wouldn't the Hopper's tuners provide independent OTA access to the Joeys like they do for the non-OTA channels ? Especially when I'm providing each Joey its own OTA module separate from the Hopper's own OTA module.....

Once again, the OTA USB dongle only works on the Hopper. The Joey doesn't have the software, or hardware, to support it's own tuner, OTA or not. It is how the system is designed. If you want OTA access for more than one OTA channel at a time, simply make one of those Joey locations a Hopper. Other than the initial cost of the Hopper the monthly charge is exactly the same, and you get more satellite tuners to play with as well....

But since the Joey is using one of the 3 Hopper tuners, why wouldn't the Hopper's tuners provide independent OTA access to the Joeys like they do for the non-OTA channels ? Especially when I'm providing each Joey its own OTA module separate from the Hopper's own OTA module.....
You can only connect one OTA tuner per Hopper, which means only one OTA channel is available on a single-Hopper system. Unfortunately, you cannot connect an OTA tuner to a Joey.

The single-OTA-tuner limitation is a huge disappointment for many subscribers. But, it certainly falls in line with Dish' general behavior towards anything that allows customers to easily access non-Dish provided content. It's the old "Why buy the cow, when you get the milk for free?" philosophy. At least, that's my theory, which is certainly resonable based on their behavior.

You can only connect The single-OTA-tuner limitation is a huge disappointment for many subscribers. But, it certainly falls in line with Dish' general behavior towards anything that allows customers to easily access non-Dish provided content. It's the old "Why buy the cow, when you get the milk for free?" philosophy. At least, that's my theory, which is certainly resonable based on their behavior.

Yes, but the amount of "non-Dish provided content" is small by comparison. I personally have to wonder how much time the traditional broadcast networks have left.

The single-OTA-tuner limitation is a huge disappointment for many subscribers.

Oh I don't know about that line Gary. I would wager a bet that the VAST majority of DISH subscribers do not have OTA antennae and only watch satellite provided locals. The extreme power users here for sure are the minority when it comes to OTA and is why DISH took the route of having an optional OTA dongle in the Hopper vs providing a built in tuner. Its all about the bottom line for sure, so why put in extra hardware into all units when it would only be used by some.

As the Joey can access the Hopper's OTA tuner, I don't think Dish sees this as a problem. As stated above, a second or even third Hopper may be called for.

Need more OTA? Buy another Hopper, or plug an antenna into your TV.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

You can only connect one OTA tuner per Hopper, which means only one OTA channel is available on a single-Hopper system. Unfortunately, you cannot connect an OTA tuner to a Joey.

The single-OTA-tuner limitation is a huge disappointment for many subscribers.

Not for me it isn't.

Lots of areas are still missing some HD locals, digital sub-channels, and of course local network affiliates due to contract disputes. So, I think "many subscribers" is appropriate.

I think it's not a big deal at all. We, that is the folks that participate here, are definitely corner case users -- and as such what is important to us is often not even on the radar for the overwhelming majority of users. The overwhelming majority don't know about digital sub-channels and I think they should be banned so that we get full bandwidth back.

Nothing wrong with disagreeing though.

Once again, the OTA USB dongle only works on the Hopper. The Joey doesn't have the software, or hardware, to support it's own tuner, OTA or not. It is how the system is designed. If you want OTA access for more than one OTA channel at a time, simply make one of those Joey locations a Hopper. Other than the initial cost of the Hopper the monthly charge is exactly the same, and you get more satellite tuners to play with as well....

When I discovered that the Joeys could not process the OTA modules that's exactly what I thought of doing--- replacing the Joeys with Hoppers.... But no !.... DISH did not allow me to do it..... I have 2 Hoppers and 4 Joeys and they won't allow me to have more than 2 Hoppers per account.... Which means I now have 4 receivers (Joeys) without OTA access.... Previously I had three 722's and three 222's with all 6 having OTA access....

Now, my so-called "upgrade" to Hoppers and Joeys gives me 4 home locations without OTA access, 4 locations previously serviced by the 722's and 222's without any OTA problem.... This is progress ???

You can have another Hopper or two. You just have to buy, not lease, them.

When I discovered that the Joeys could not process the OTA modules that's exactly what I thought of doing--- replacing the Joeys with Hoppers.... But no !.... DISH did not allow me to do it..... I have 2 Hoppers and 4 Joeys and they won't allow me to have more than 2 Hoppers per account.... Which means I now have 4 receivers (Joeys) without OTA access.... Previously I had three 722's and three 222's with all 6 having OTA access....

Now, my so-called "upgrade" to Hoppers and Joeys gives me 4 home locations without OTA access, 4 locations previously serviced by the 722's and 222's without any OTA problem.... This is progress ???

You have 2 hoppers, with access to the Big 4 anytime one of them is selected. Are you really ever watching more than 2 things at a time OTA that isn't on one of the Big 4?

I ask because I wonder if this is an actual problem or a perceived problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts