Did we have a major failure this morning 3/22?

jcanavera

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
My picture froze about 10:11 am. At that point the Hopper 3 was non responsive to the controller. I waited 10 minutes and hit the reboot button. The Hopper 3 went through the process but instead of connecting directly with the channel I was watching I got the tuner screen with no tuners active. Tried to tune to the channel I was watching and got a black screen.

I then removed the power and plugged it back in after a 30 second wait. Same thing happened. We go through reboot and sit on the tuner screen which shows nothing connected. Noticed that my wireless Joeys had no signal and were not talking to the Hopper 3.

I called tech support and heard the recording that they were experiencing heavy call volumes. As I waited in the queue, I noticed that the Hopper 3 rebooted itself 3 times twice going to the tuner screen. Still in the queue the Hopper 3 finally comes up to the channel I was watching about 10:35 am.

Just got off the Dish support forum and someone experience the same issue and said that the CSR told him to be patient and that the Hopper would eventually come up, although he did not know what the problem was at Dish.

I have a feeling we had some type of loss of service from Dish. What bothers me the most is that on the surface, it looks like as if you lose signal from Dish and have to reboot your Hopper 3, it cannot restart to a state that will even allow you to get to a point where you could watch recorded programming. It looks like there is some handshake type of activity or information needed from the satellite that allows the Hopper 3 to successfully compete the reboot/restart process.

Jack

Reactions: KaptainRandom
I actually had the exact same issue at the same time. I was watching a recorded show and the picture\sound froze. I was able to go to the dvr menu and guide but could not tune to any shows or recordings. Everything eventually went black. It finally rebooted and would would load the menus but still channels and recordings would not load. It kept rebooting on its own about every 5 minutes. I unplugged it and left it for about 20 minutes. Plugged it back in and everything "appears" OK now.

Just called customer support and the person I spoke to said it was a bug that affected all Hopper 3 units at the same time. She said they had to send the Hopper 3 units a patch down to resolve the problem. There was no loss of signal so if you didn't have a Hopper 3 you didn't see the issue. She noted that as of 9 minutes ago (11:35 am Central) all the Hopper 3 units should have had this issue resolved. I just checked my release and it still notes U308.

Jack

I know when DirecTV has some corrupt guide data it would take things out like this or put them into a reboot cycle. May be the same kind of thing here.

Wow same thing here. I tried calling Dish, but said there was a wait of 15 minutes. Its back up now, seems ok.
I wondered.... when I turned the TV on, there was a message I've seen in the past (now I can't remember LOL) but as has been stated, the box was "unresponsive". Also, I've noticed some recordings around that time are "split" into 2 parts. Yeah, I wondered what was happening.

Same thing happened to my H3 at the same time. I thought I had lost my H3 but everything is fine now. I did pull the plug for about a minute after 3 failed boot attempts and a failed 10 second plug pull.

Thought my H3 kicked the bucket this morning. Was on hold for around 15 min with Dish and then hung up. Thought to myself maybe it was something going on with the Satellites or something because of everyone else calling, then again, it seemed like it was the H3 itself because it would show 0 of 0 tuners and even the DVR would not work. If it was a signal outage it would show 0 of 16 tuners and the DVR would work. 15 min later the H3 rebooted itself and everything worked again.

Had the same issue, rebooted itself about 6 times before getting picture again. Level 2 support agent said they were aware and that is was something that dish was doing. Support was advised not to send out trucks or swap receivers.

OMG so I'm not crazy mine crashed too I had to unplug it as well. It kept rebooting and was at the hopper 3 screen of death.............unplugged it finally it came back on scared me to death because I had not backed up the timers to the remote yet, let me tell you as soon as it came back on I backed up those timers. LOL

OMG so I'm not crazy mine crashed too I had to unplug it as well. It kept rebooting and was at the hopper 3 screen of death.............unplugged it finally it came back on scared me to death because I had not backed up the timers to the remote yet, let me tell you as soon as it came back on I backed up those timers. LOL
I think your timers get backed-up automatically. I'm not sure how often but they should be kept current in your remote.

I think your timers get backed-up automatically. I'm not sure how often but they should be kept current in your remote.
I thought you were nuts for I never saw or heard this ever... 3 minutes later I see this on my screen.
20160324_135250.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)