Did ya ever buy and built kits from Ramsey Electronics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pro96

You Member, Member ?
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 18, 2005
OC
I sure did have a lot of enjoyment for many years. One of my all time favorites was the SCA Sub carrier Decoder kit that worked great with them hidden commercial free music in the FM band like Muzak and others.

I also built an FM transmitter (modified to 5 watts) to broadcast music in my neighborhood back in the 90's when I was a Mobile DJ. I used to get a lot of gigs this way from listeners.. hehe

And the VHF receiver kit was also cool to listen to amateur radio.

Here is their online full catalog, which still carries many of the classic kits along with up to date ones.

http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/downloads/catalog/RMZ_201001W.pdf

Great memories :up

I built the fm transmitter and the shortwave as well, I have a few other Ramsey projects in my basement, Its been so long I can't remember what they are, I'll have to dig some of that stuff out.
I got a lot of enjoyment soldering that stuff together too and they were very nice kits:)

I built the SCA kit and FM stereo transmitter one as well. The transmitter was my first kit and I did it with a giant Weller soldering iron somehow managing not to smoke any of the parts. It was very sloppy, but the important thing was it worked, and still works almost 20 years later. I've also built the AM transmitter kit and I have a 70cm (440MHz) preamp kit that I'm going to try out on amateur satellite. I've moved onto other kits like the TinyTrak which is a PIC that translates GPS data into audio frequency shift keying which gets fed into a transmitter and others receive it and relay it over the internet for live position reporting. I've also built a 30m ham low power transceiver from Small Wonder Labs I'd love to one day be able to build something like the Elecraft K2 but that seems very complex! It'd take a huge time commitment from me that's for sure.

Last edited:
I built the FM Transmitter that worked great. I modded it so it was doing 1 watt and could listen to my music for about a mile around.

I built the SCA Kit and a FM Radio, the radio worked but never got the SCA kit to work (or maybe there were no SCA broadcasts in my area)

I always wanted a nice FM transmitter... not to mess with anyone just to cover my yard and such without a bunch of static. Too worried about the "man" coming to knock on my door though.

Too worried about the "man" coming to knock on my door though.

Yup At 1 watt and over you would prob get that. I had a FM100B modified locally to 5W and was always concern about the FCC paying a visit. It never did happen, and my use was primary on the weekends when I had no gigs just to broadcast my music for future events.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts