Did you get a free Roku offer?

Free Roku

• Yes

Votes: 195 47.6%
  • No

Votes: 215 52.4%

• Total voters
A couple more comments... General questions about the Roku, bringing them to this thread is probably a good idea: The Streaming Video / IPTV Discussion Forum

Also, you don't need a CC to activate the Roku. They will take Paypal as well. They don't charge anything through it, just set it up so that if you choose to purchase something through the Roku, it will go through that account. Paypal is a little better as then you don't have one other company to update when your CC expires.
i used paypal ;)

I say 500 or less.
How could you arrive at such a mind-bogglingly low number? I know that love is blind and all. But, really. Even if you ignore the way the deal is plastered all over the Web, just think about the number of notices Dish sent out to its customers directly. That alone should account for more than 500.

So what is a private channel and how do they work?

See post 526. You get the activation code then on the My Accounts page go to the Add Private Channel and enter that code. After you enter the code for all the private channels you want, you go to the Channel Store page and then exit. It will then load those channels into your list.
One of the best is "Nowhere". Multiple private channels under the one heading.

I must say I'm impressed at what's out there on ROKU.

History Channel, free? Is that the same programming as what's on Dish?

What distinguishes Private from Premium?

Are there any channels (private or public) that would allow you to watch tv shows from the networks for free? I've got a few episodes from various shows that's disappeared from my hopper for some reason. I can watch most of these shows on the computer at the networks websites. But I would love to be able to watch these on my tv instead of a small computer monitor.

smokey982 said:
Are there any channels (private or public) that would allow you to watch tv shows from the networks for free?
With PlayOn running on my desktop (which sits idle nearly 100% of the time), I can watch almost any video available on the networks. There's actually TOO much to watch!!

A private channel is simply a channel not available in the Channel Store.... Channels in the Store, and private channels can either be free or require payment. You can pretty easily using their developer api build your own channel if you wish and they you have your own private channel.

Many of the channels that claim to have content that looks like network programming and shows is really only just the stuff that those stations or channels make freely available on their website. I.e. Nowhere TV has my local NBC affiliate , but all the programs I looked at appear to be things scrapped off their website. On the other hand, their carriage of 60 minutes appears to be complete episodes. So it depends.

For US citizens outside the country, there is a free channel that will give you access to ABC, FOX, NBC, CBS, and a few of the cable channels like HGTV, ESPN. Catch is you have to be a US Citizen or have a Green Card and be outside of the US. You can pay and add a bunch of channels. (USTVnow - Watch Live American TV Shows Online)

I have a Mac. I don't see any mention of it working on a Mac on their website. Does anyone know for sure?

Apparently there is way to get it to work on the Mac.
PlayOn on Mac with Parallels | PlayOn
PlayOn is Windows-only software at the present time. Bummer! However, many of our users have successfully used a program called Parallels to get PlayOn running on their Mac. We can't offer much support with this configuration, but you're of course encouraged to try it out if you only own a Mac and not a Windows PC.

I just got a second survey call from Dish about the AMC loss, and mentioned I wished I had gotten some credits to cover the costs of buying shows on Amazon. The rep offered me $10 off for the next six months. Moral of the story, if you are not satisfied with what you got just ask.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

I got the free ROKU, $35 to pay for the first year of my favorite lost AMC program on amazon.com, a no cost upgrade to a two hopper / four joey system, and $10 off for 12 months. I guess it pays to complain:).

dwarren2 said:
Does anyone know if the private channel "Hockey Streams" shows in market games. Would I be able to watch Buffalo even though I'm in the MSG market.

No. You will be blacked out based on your ISP DNS IP address location. This happens with my AppleTV, XBOX and computer.

Ok, so I posted Yesterday that I got the glitch and my Roku wasn't sent. Two hours later it shows up on my front steps, so I had a second one coming. I actually called Dish, against my wife's wishes, to tell them that it showed up. Turns out the guy rushed my order so fast, I might still get the second one. If that's the case I will send it back. One over $60 piece of free equipment is good enough. Don't get me wrong, it was Dish's error and I could set it up in my second living room. But I don't want to be a piece of crap over a lost channel. I know I'll slammed by some here, but it's my honest sediments.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)