Did you get a free Roku offer?

Free Roku

• Yes

Votes: 195 47.6%
  • No

Votes: 215 52.4%

• Total voters
Just read the posts or go to the Roku site, it's self apparent. You're asking for a history of Roku and what it does.

They've been out twice before trying to figure it out. The location the dish is in is the only location on our property where we get any signal at all. They won't do a pole or attach to a building, so we're stuck. This is not a new situation. I do appreciate the suggestion, though.
Is it they won't, can't or to charge extra for a pole of attaching to a building? If it is they won't then you need to see about finding another dealer that will move the dish to a different location that doesn't have the line of site problem (and pay the fee for that). I kind of sounds like maybe you just think that this will be cheaper out. You may be happier w/ just the Roku but there are things on sat you won't get thru the Roku.

If you can't get your Dish subscription through Roku, then why are they giving Rokus away? Aren't Roku and Dish competitors of a sort? Or do they have some sort of partnership in the works?

They are selectively giving Rokus away to stem the tide of subscriber losses over AMC. That is not to say that Dish packages as VOD (or linear channels) over the net (rather than the sat) isn't a good idea. It is. I've long wondered why Dish can't do that. My wag: it's contractual, and content owners won't allow it.

Is it they won't, can't or to charge extra for a pole of attaching to a building? If it is they won't then you need to see about finding another dealer that will move the dish to a different location that doesn't have the line of site problem (and pay the fee for that). I kind of sounds like maybe you just think that this will be cheaper out. You may be happier w/ just the Roku but there are things on sat you won't get thru the Roku.

It's not that it's difficult or expensive. They won't do it. We offered to pay extra. They flat out refused to do it. There's only one dealer in our area, they told us that Dish stopped allowing that kind of installation. Your point about getting things on sat that we can't get through Roku is the only reason we haven't pulled the trigger yet. If dish is going to offer their subscription service through the Roku box as basically a back-up receiver, that would be a reason to stay with Dish. I guess that's easy enough to check, though, to see if I can access my Dish subscription through the website. If that's possible, then I'd assume getting it through Roku is probably in the works, if not already possible.

This is old news on my end, everyone. It's been going on for two years. I do really appreciate the advice, because I know you're trying to be helpful (some of you at least), but we're at the end of the problem-solving effort. I'm just looking for additional information on how the Roku box will work with or without Dish involved.

Ozwalt said:
<--post was removed by staff--->

As you are new here I would suggest you familiarize yourself with this forum's code of conduct. There its no need to fly off rails in this matter. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and people will always disagree, no need for personal attacks.

As for your dish situation, line of sight issues do happen and if there truly is no option for you to get signal that is unfortunate. If you keep really want to dish then your best bet would be to try a local dealer as a second opinion. There would be cost involved, but you got to do what you got to do if that is the tv you want.

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys sweet app

Last edited by a moderator:
As you are new here I would suggest you familiarize yourself with this forum's code of conduct. There its no need to fly off rails in this matter. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and people will always disagree, no need for personal attacks.

As for your dish situation, line of sight issues do happen and if there truly is no option for you to get signal that is unfortunate. If you keep really want to dish then your best bet would be to try a local dealer as a second opinion. There would be cost involved, but you got to do what you got to do if that is the tv you want.

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys sweet app

Sorry, but being called a liar and unethical/immoral tends to get my gander up (previous postings by Mr. Tampa). Opinions yes, but that's not what I'm responding to. I'm actually a very laid back individual, but if I'm pushed, I damn well push back. I asked a very simple question, and all I wanted was a simple direct answer -- not flippant insulting snotty responses. They can ban me if they like, but if you ask me, the folks that go out of their way to instigate problems are the bigger issue.

We only have one local dealer. We've had techs out twice to try to solve the issues. We've asked to mount the dish on the roof of the house or on a pole, but they say they're not allowed to do it.

They are selectively giving Rokus away to stem the tide of subscriber losses over AMC. That is not to say that Dish packages as VOD (or linear channels) over the net (rather than the sat) isn't a good idea. It is. I've long wondered why Dish can't do that. My wag: it's contractual, and content owners won't allow it.

I would not be surprised to see some sort of Dish Network/Amazon liaison in the not too distant future. My experience with wireless streaming with Dish and our 722 was dismal at best.....finicky and with an interface that could best be described as clunky. The Roku platform actually works

Do-it-yourself or friends??

Sorry, but being called a liar and unethical/immoral tends to get my gander up (previous postings by Mr. Tampa). Opinions yes, but that's not what I'm responding to. I'm actually a very laid back individual, but if I'm pushed, I damn well push back. I asked a very simple question, and all I wanted was a simple direct answer -- not flippant insulting snotty responses. They can ban me if they like, but if you ask me, the folks that go out of their way to instigate problems are the bigger issue.

We only have one local dealer. We've had techs out twice to try to solve the issues. We've asked to mount the dish on the roof of the house or on a pole, but they say they're not allowed to do it.

Don't know how "handsy" you are, but when I was having trouble, I thouhgt a taller dish would solve the problem. It wa on a pole, maybe 5' off the ground. I took some pictures of the orientation of the dish for future reference in aiming and put in a 16', 2"id galvanized post. I set it with one 40 pound bag of concrete. I used a 4' level to get it perpendicular. When I moved the Dish antenna, i used the pictures for reference, and the TV (I didn't know about a website), with the wife and walkie-talkies for signal level tweaking. If you can't or don't want to try somehing like this, maybe a friend or co-worker would tackle it??? Not really difficult. I'm just cheap, so never considered calling a pro. Hope it works out for ya.

It is possible to "push back" while still using family friendly language.

And I'm pretty sure pole mounts ARE allowed by Dish. Perhaps there is some additional confounding matter.

Not helpful. Seems unlikely that I have EVERYTHING backwards, but it would be nice if you could clear things up for me. That's why I'm posting here, ya know? Asking folks who apparently know what's going on to let me in on it.

If you can't get your Dish subscription through Roku, then why are they giving Rokus away? Aren't Roku and Dish competitors of a sort? Or do they have some sort of partnership in the works?

I wonder what the ratio is of snarky comments to helpful comments on this board? Is it really 1/1, or is this just a touchy subject???

I dont believe he was "snarky" at all. You just dont get it! Why would Dish want you to go out an purchase something, then get reimbursed by them. Ive read a lot of crazy things on this board, and that ranks right up there.

IF you qualify, Dish will send you a FREE Roku when you call them. They will also issue you additional credits on your bill so you can offset the purchase of AMC shows on Amazon, etc.

Like KAB said, maybe you should do some more reading.

Considering where you live, you likely recognize the challenges with providing any type of satellite service to your home. With that in mind, you will likely need to take on the burden of providing some method for a dish to be installed where it can achieve line of site. Many (not all) satellite TV installers are not qualified nor insured for erecting towers or scaling towers. Yet towers still get built and various antennas get mounted on them. Ham Radio folk are probably the largest private users of engineered towers for mounting antennas.

I mentioned a fold over idea, because that is a type of tower that has a hinge and a mechanism such that the top of the tower can be lowered to ground level. You see these type of towers used in urban areas with their traffic cameras mounted on top. I've seen them used for ham radio antennas as well. Yes, the cost burden is on you (engineering of the tower, cost of the tower and erection of the tower) For some that cost is worth it. For others it is not.