Did you get a free Roku offer?

Free Roku

• Yes

Votes: 195 47.6%
  • No

Votes: 215 52.4%

• Total voters
I haven't tried yet, but I probably will. Only watched the channels once and awhile. Probably wouldn't bother if that was my only issue. However they recently took away my no locals package (without any warning) when I upgraded a receiver fully at my cost. For the extra $5 a month I get NBC in HD and CBS in SD. I had passed on the previous free premium promos just so I wouldn't have to sub to locals that they barely carry.

A Roku and a statement credit might make me feel a little better about it.

There is a Roku NHL subscription channel. I don't have it so I can't speak to the quality or price. The description says: NHL Game Center Live (TM) subscribers can watch live out of market games, full length and condensed replays and over 500 classic games. NHL vault subscribers can enjoy game replays and classic games.

Whatever that really means. It's got a 4 star rating by 545 users.

www.nhl.com/roku

Doesn't look like you can get in-market games unless you "move".

The retention department offered me 6 months blockbuster @home for half price and a free roku. The lady claimed that the account qualified for the offer. I called the main customer service number and the person there first offered me 3 months of all premiums for free. When I asked about the Roku offer, he nicely transferred me to the retention/loyalty department. This was in sharp contrast to the day earlier when I called, the guy said he would give $5 off for 6 month, but did not and then said I could use the $5 to watch the AMC programming online via Amazon app on my devices such as WII or the computer. This is really inconsistent service from DISH, but nothing new. This is not only with DISH, any company in the US has such problems, they don't seem to want to invest in training their customer support folks or even making sure they have the right information.

Got neither email nor postcard about offer. Long time subscriber now have AEP. Called Loyalty line today. Gave sub info to 1st person, transferred to Loyalty person. (nice lady, btw) On phone 10 minutes tops. Got Roku and credits.

Thanks to forum members for heads-up on this.

Joe

Got neither email nor postcard about offer. Long time subscriber now have AEP. Called Loyalty line today. Gave sub info to 1st person, transferred to Loyalty person. (nice lady, btw) On phone 10 minutes tops. Got Roku and credits.

Thanks to forum members for heads-up on this.

Joe

let us know if you get any kind of confirmation

thechaz05 said:
These threads get lengthy,i posted it earlier but I will again for you buddy. :) it is a remanufactured roku 2 xd

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys sweet app

Got you mixed up with someone else. Looking to see if they are sending different models.

Looks like Roku really isn't much different from my PS3.

I've got to say this is a really nice thing for Dish to do. Honestly, I'm very impressed.

I can't imagine the cable company agreeing to send me a free Roku. That's a really nice thing to get for free. I was looking at buying one some time back and narrowly decided against it because I didn't want to spend the money, but it is definitely something I want and will use. I didn't receive any sort of confirmation, but unless we hear there's absolute reason to be worried if there's no confirmation, I'm going to wait the 5-7 business days or whatever the lady said it would take to arrive and not inquire about it again unless it doesn't arrive.

I've got to say, this is a real loyalty builder. It makes up for some of the stuff I've felt Dish has messed up with me in the past.

Also got $5 off a month for 12 months. That helps a ton, too. Money is tight and $5 makes a difference to me, especially now that my budget is strained to the limit with a new monthly bill in another area.

This was handled very well, at least in my case. I know that some other people got rejected, and had I been in that camp, I'd probably be pretty ticked. But for once they gave me the deal "everyone else" was getting, and it helped in terms of the way I think of the company. I mentioned it to a friend who was shocked- I think this type of word of mouth is good PR for the company. And it might just retain me at the end of my contract coming up. I was pretty set to switch back to cable and bundle with Internet, at least leaning that way, and now I'm leaning toward keeping Dish for at least a while off contract as long as they don't lose any sports. $5 off, knowing that they carry the overflow hockey games from my RSN (cable stopped before I left them, and there are some indications they brought it back, but it's not crystal clear and I can' t get anyone to verify), the hassle free nature of staying put, and gratitude for my forthcoming free Roku box all play into that.

Really looking forward to this little box and some of the free movies on Crackle and stuff. Might also consider switching Netflix from "by mail" to "streaming" once I get the box set up and can watch on TV.

Now what we need is a savy Roku user here at Sat. Guys to give us some real world tips on how to set it up and use it. Checking on-line all you get is hype and advertising BS. Anybody here have the Roku and delved into the cost saving ways to use it? Netflix, Amazon Prime etc. Do they both offer the latest movies and TV shows? From what I understand you cannot record to your DVR's hard drive which is a real bummer. I do know that Netflix is $7.99mo and Amazon Prime is $79yr. How do they compare and is there a better all around choice?

So I first tried online chat and got nowhere. Not one offer, only some advice on other channels that are comprable to AMC. Decided to call the number in the e-mail I received and the first level CSR was able to do a bit better, offering me 3 months of free HBO, Cinemax and Starz. At that point I explained to her that I was aware that other Dish customers were being given a Roku player and given the package I have and the fact I been with Dish for many years I felt I should receive the same as others. Once Imentioned the Roku player she said she had to transfer me to the next level and a very nice woman was able to assist me and the Roku player is in the mail. I already have one ROku player and love it so will be nice to add a second spot where I can stream netflix or some of the other channels available. Kudos to Dish for this offer!

Yes while I will have to do some other things for mad men I think they have been great with credits. I know not everyone feels that way but even as a newer sub I feel they provided some nice credits and looking forward to the roku

Now what we need is a savy Roku user here at Sat. Guys to give us some real world tips on how to set it up and use it. Checking on-line all you get is hype and advertising BS. Anybody here have the Roku and delved into the cost saving ways to use it? Netflix, Amazon Prime etc. Do they both offer the latest movies and TV shows? From what I understand you cannot record to your DVR's hard drive which is a real bummer. I do know that Netflix is $7.99mo and Amazon Prime is $79yr. How do they compare and is there a better all around choice?

Netflix streaming does not have the latest movies like you would have access to via the DVDs being mailed. Usually takes a while for them to show up. What I really like about Netflix is the foriegn movies that I didn't even know existed. Some real good movies available. Amazon Prime is pretty similar in terms of content though not as much TV available but worth it if only for the 2 day shipping on all Amazon Prime purchases. Amazon does offer newer movies at a cost and usually cheaper than what Dish would charge for the same movie. Even cheaper if you watch SD version and not HD.

Looks like Roku really isn't much different from my PS3.

You're kidding right? PS3 is so much more than a Roku, and the Roku is more than the PS3 though in a completely different way.

PS3 is a multi-media entertainment system supporting gaming, blue ray player, ip tv, and various hardware add ons.
Roku is an internet media streamer, the main benefit being it supports custom channels.

My guess is the PS3 power usage is quite a bit higher when powered up vs the Roku as well.

Now if Dish gave an option of a roku or a ps3... well I'd take the ps3. But if it was a roku or a boxee... I'd go boxee (dlna works).. but if the option is Roku or nothing... I'll go Roku.

Unless for achieving, you don't need a DVR for using Roku when watching a TV show. It's on demand, so you watch when you want, not when it is being broadcasted. I have a Panasonic DVD recorder with hardrive where I could copy a show, though not in HD. Honestly at the point of really wanting every episode of my own, I would buy the DVD.
There is a ton of stuff free on the Roku. That includes free movies, but they will usually be older ones. The exception of course, and a huge one, if you subscribe to HBO, or Cinemax, Epix, etc... you can watch much of they have new and old for no cost, thanks to Dish allowing it. I can't stress enough how good the picture is from them, as well as Amazon.
The Amazon $79 prime you mention also includes free two day shipping on orders, and an unbelievable $3.99 overnight shipping as well as being able to access free alot of programming. The Amazon interface on Roku is one of the best anywhere.
You obviously need a reliable internet access, DSL won't always be enough. Though when I had AT&T DSL it actually was.

Before jumping into Amazon Prime, note that AMC shows and many others are not included in the free/discount lists. Amazon is a good alternative with or without prime. If you buy a show or series, it is stored in your account a Amazon and you can play it any time as if you had a recording locally. Some shows you can rent for less and play once.

I just tried with the online chat and she told me I had to call the Dish number.

Tried chat twice...got the same thing both times.

To follow up...had some time to blow so I figured I'd fire up chat one more time and the third try was a charm. First person again told me I had to call the main number instead of chat, so I said I didn't want to waste my cell phone minutes on hold (Thanks for the idea, Watchel...I don't have landline either...sorry it didn't work for you, too). I asked if perhaps the Loyalty Dept could help me out via chat. She agreed, and transferred me to them. Spent probably 25 minutes in queue before they picked me up. Explained what all I'd heard about and asked If he could set me up. He was extremely pleasant and offered no resistance. As others noted, he asked if I had wireless, PS3, Xbox, or Apple TV. In the end, he said I'd receive a Roku in 5 days, gave me the $10 credit for 12 months, and also put me back on "Cinemax for a Penny" (had no idea that was still around!). Score!

Thanks again to SatGuys for the heads up...and happy 4th! :whoo: