Did you get a free Roku offer?

Free Roku

• Yes

Votes: 195 47.6%
  • No

Votes: 215 52.4%

• Total voters
Received the ROKU today via USPS. (4 business days after chat with DN) Diving into Netflix and Amazon Prime now!

So far I REALLY like this little thing. I have a feeling Dish may have shot themselves in the foot with this offer. I may actually downgrade my channel line up and I'm betting a lot more people will do the same after getting used to Roku.

No luck with a free Roku.
frown.gif
I was told I wasn't eligible because I was on Dish America. Got Cinemax half off for 6 months though.
With Dish America, you did not have AMC, so you should not be disappointed or disgruntled. The half off offer (premiums) has been going on for a while, regardless.

With Dish America, you did not have AMC, so you should not be disappointed or disgruntled. The half off offer (premiums) has been going on for a while, regardless.

Yeah, I know...even though I did have AMC in Oct and November last year and Feb and March this year. :D

So far I REALLY like this little thing. I have a feeling Dish may have shot themselves in the foot with this offer. I may actually downgrade my channel line up and I'm betting a lot more people will do the same after getting used to Roku.
No, that's a typical knee-jerk. When people actually delve into it and find out the "what we can't get, and what it COSTS for what we can already get with ANY provider", they will be see it's an extra, not a substitute.

I just called and will recieve my ROKU in about 5 days. Will be perfect for my MLBtv. Also HBO FREE for 3 months and then half price for 6. Perfect.

I mentioned it earlier but the survey I took they also,asked specifically what shows from AMC I would be watching, for me it was only one, Mad Men but the questions were pretty intresting

I never received a Roku even though it was promised on the 2nd. I guess they dont feel someone deserves one who got an install and equipment downgraded to welcome pak with no locals for their entire contract then upgraded a minute before they called about missing AMC.

This little box works amazingly well with HBOGO. I'm streaming "Sweet Prudence & the Erotic Adventure of Bigfoot", and man can this thing reproduce the skin-tones well. The only shortcoming was when the girl was on the plaid blanket in the bright sunlight. The fast panning really taxed my internet service and the 3Mb/s isp could not keep up very well. :)

By the way, does anyone know how or if you can turn off your Roku box when you're done viewing? I didn't notice a power button on either the remote or the box itself. After a while, I gave up on turning it off and took my dog for a walk. Later, I noticed the box had powered itself down (Or at least turned it's indicator light off).

Is that how it's supposed to go? You just let it turn itself off due to inactivity? Or is there some manual way of turning it off that I missed?

By the way, does anyone know how or if you can turn off your Roku box when you're done viewing? I didn't notice a power button on either the remote or the box itself. After a while, I gave up on turning it off and took my dog for a walk. Later, I noticed the box had powered itself down (Or at least turned it's indicator light off).

Is that how it's supposed to go? You just let it turn itself off due to inactivity? Or is there some manual way of turning it off that I missed?

I believe it powers down, but is really never off? I kind of wondered about that

gpflepsen said:
:D It even has an IMDB page with Goofs and Revealing Mistakes. It's high class stuff.

Oh how I look forward to the LIKE button on iPhone/iPad!

Just received my Roku today and had some time to play with and document. Made a video of what I had and going through the setup.

Talked with Dish on 7/2 at 3pm. Box has postmark from Scotts Valley, CA and had to come to Minnesota with a holiday in between. It shipped USPS.

Had no issues connecting to my 802.11g 2.4GHz router running DD-WRT. (56Mbps link) I connected it to my 56" DLP via HDMI.

I set the Roku to 1080p even though the TV only supports 1080i. It figured it out.
Unit came with Software version 4.2 build 1006. I checked for an update and there was one. version 4.7 build 2049 is now loaded on my Roku.

I tried Crackle, and found their movie The Fifth Element was o.k, but quality was fairly low. Limited detail, below a better DVD, well above VHS. Bandwidth usage was under 1Mbps, though a couple spikes to 1.3Mbps when it was buffering.

I enabled linking to my amazon prime account, and tried streaming Mission Impossible 3. It showed "HD" quality for my stream but was quite a bandwidth hog. Running around 13 Mbps on average of bandwith used up. There was some detail there, i.e. sweat drips and such, but a rough image, lacking other details. Above DVD, below Blue Ray. Certainly sufficient, but I've seen Dish Streaming with BBHome that uses less bandwidth and has similar if not better visual quality.

Next time I have some real time I will sit down and benchmark various services across my wifi.

Yes, a hard wired connection would be better overall, but remember, the Roku 2 XD doesn't have a ethernet port. it's Wifi only.

Oh, and as far as powering down? Nope, never does. Those energy aware might consider putting this box on a power strip that you can easily shut off when not needed. I'll see if I can hook my Kill-o-Watt unit up and see how much it draws when running the screen saver it switches to. Probably will move any more Roku tech stuff down to the IPTV forum here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yet another benefit for those who complain the loudest. Seem the old adage of the squeaky wheel gets the grease is true. Many things I have been told that I did not qualify for (6 months free STARZ, Waved cost of EHD add on.... ) others have gotten because they made a pain of them selves. Now because I did not scream about the loss of AMC, I won't be getting yet another added value from Dish.

It is a shame that you have to 'CSR Surf' and play games to the same value as others.

Scott

lol, what's up with this poll? exactly 50% consistently...

The past three days I've been using my Roku more than I've been using my Hoppers, bad move Dish :p ! I'm just catching up on Netflix, still tons of stuff on Dish though that I couldn't get thru Roku...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)