Did you get a free Roku offer?

Free Roku

• Yes

Votes: 195 47.6%
  • No

Votes: 215 52.4%

• Total voters
I haven't read through all 21 pages of this thread, so don't shoot me if I ask a repeat question. Assuming you can get the free Roku, which model are they providing? Roku LT, Roku HD, Roku2 XD (1080p), or Roku2 XS (1080p)

Lol, this was so easy....

Dish: Thank you for contacting the customer loyalty department at dish. I am looking forward to helping you today.

Dish: Good afternoon Chris.

Dish: I will be assisting you today.

Me: Good afternoon to you

Dish: I understand how frustrating this loss is. Do you have wireless internet in your home?

Me: I do have a wireless router.

Dish: Great. Do you happen to have any of the following devices: Play station 3, Xbox 360, Apple TV?

Me: I only have an xbox but its in my sons room, thats the only one we have.

Dish: We have a great offer at this time for a Roku. This is a piece of equipment that connects easily to your TV and wireless (Wi-Fi) network at home, allowing you access to shows that are on AMC as well as other features.

Dish: There are several channels (apps) that can be downloaded to view over 150,000 movies and shows, play games on TV, or listen to music through apps like Pandora. Below are some of the apps available on the Roku XD Streaming player.
- Amazon Instant Video
- Hulu Plus
- HBO Go (With HBO subscription)
- Pandora Internet Radio

Dish: Retail price for a Roku XD is $79.99, but DISH is offering this to you free of cost as long as you have a valid credit/debit card to activate the Roku player.

Dish: Roku accounts are free and secure. And while a valid credit/debit card number is required to create your account, rest assured you will only be charged if you authorize purchases of apps and games from the Roku Channel Store.

Dish: We are giving a 1 time credit of 35.00 so that you can purchase the season of breaking bad.

Me: Wow, that would work for me.

Me: I would like to accept both offers.

Dish: I also have a great promotion for our movie channels. I will give you any movie package that we carry 1/2 off for 6 months or 2 for the price of 1 for 6 months. I will even waive the first month and if you do not want to continue with them you can just remove them and this would have cost you nothing. Which one or ones can I add on for you today?

Dish: I will even go one step better.

Dish: I will give you a discount on your bill for 12 months of 10.00 off. No contract intended.

We didn't get an hdmi cable and I suspect most didn't.They are certainly cheap enough to buy online.$3-$5.

The units that dish is having sent out are refurbished Roku2 XD.There have been a few customers that stated they received new not refurb.

I called on Sunday afterrnoon, the 15th, and it was here Wednesday morning the 18th. Call 'em!

Ed

I called them and they said it was shipped via UPS, and that it would arrive by Friday. Apparently I also called on July 13th and not July 12th, and that it can take up to 2 weeks for the Roku to ship. They felt bad for me, so they ended up giving me 4 free PPV coupons as well :)

I will repeat what I said early on in this thread. Roku is worthless to me because it does not have a digital audio out port. My old but very expensive audio home theater system does not have an HDMI input and I can not buy a new one that does. Would it have killed Roku to have included a digital audio out port on their device? How stupid of Roku.

I called them and they said it was shipped via UPS, and that it would arrive by Friday. Apparently I also called on July 13th and not July 12th, and that it can take up to 2 weeks for the Roku to ship. They felt bad for me, so they ended up giving me 4 free PPV coupons as well :)

I too called on July 13th and have not yet received my Roku. I don't recall anything about them saying two weeks. A couple days ago I had to update my billing info and my first $10 credit appeared!

We didn't get an hdmi cable and I suspect most didn't.They are certainly cheap enough to buy online.$3-$5.

The units that dish is having sent out are refurbished Roku2 XD.There have been a few customers that stated they received new not refurb.

Received a new one here.

Did not recieve an offer and contacted them about it. They said no. Looks like I must not be all that good of customer.

***Update***
I called in and talked to a loyalty CSR and she gave me one, said it will take a while to get it to me, but then also offered a $2 credit per month for 12 months, told her I didn;t care about the credits was more worried about the content, and she still put it on there.

Thanks sat guy's

Last edited:
Did not recieve an offer and contacted them about it. They said no. Looks like I must not be all that good of customer.

Well,did you call the number specific to the offer?Did you ask for loyalty?

That said not everyone will get a free roku but,most if not everyone that calls will get some kind of offer whether it be $5 off,ppv certificates,free premiums,etc.

I too called on July 13th and have not yet received my Roku. I don't recall anything about them saying two weeks. A couple days ago I had to update my billing info and my first $10 credit appeared!

If I were you I would give them a call again. I did yesterday, and received a tracking number and shipping confirmation details from FedEx. The e-mail says that the Roku is being sent overnight and is supposed to come tomorrow afternoon. Although they wouldn't admit it, Im willing to admit someone or something dropped the ball the first time I called.

I will repeat what I said early on in this thread. Roku is worthless to me because it does not have a digital audio out port. My old but very expensive audio home theater system does not have an HDMI input and I can not buy a new one that does. Would it have killed Roku to have included a digital audio out port on their device? How stupid of Roku.

My receiver also only has optical or coax audio... but guess what, the roku works fine through the speakers on my tv.

Thanks to a post on page 83 by TWISM I used chat to contact DISH rather than calling and asking for the loyalty department. I have called the loyalty department several times over the last week. The first time, I was granted shipment of the Roku as well as a $10/mo. credit for 6 months. After reading the posts here I called back and referred to Satellite guys.com asking for $35 and $10/mo for 12 mo.

I was told that I could not get the $35 credit since I already had so many other credits on my account. After politely "pushing" the loyalty rep, I was told that there are notes on my account and I should call back in 6 months to get the credit extended for another 6 months because the initial credit had already been applied.

No problem. Then today - I received my Roku (in only 2 days) BUT - no HDMI cable. Based on the chat session post by TWISM (referred to above), I decided to chat rather than call. Here for your information is the result of my chat:

DISH . How may I help you?
ME: Aloha:
ME: I just received my complimentary Roku. Thank you for the speedy delivery
DISH : Hello Steven.
DISH : That is all my pleasure Steven.
DISH : Thank you for your feedback.
ME: I spoke with one of the loyalty reps the other day and asked about making sure there was an HDMI cable included. The rep told me that the Roku does come with an HDMI cable. However, this Roku came only with the analog cable. May I have an HDMI cable shipped out?
DISH : I will be happy to assist you with your request for HDMI cable.
DISH : Steven please give me a moment to research this for you.
DISH : Thank you for your patience.
ME: I have been watching the various conversations at the website - SatelliteGuys.com. This is how I first heard about the Roku offer. The respondents on the groups said that most of them received their HDMI cable in a separate package.
ME: But they had to ask for it.
ME: They also received a $35 special credit to make up for losing access to AMC as well as $10/mo. for a full 12 months.

DISH : Thank you.
DISH : Please give me a moment to research this for you.
ME: I think I may need to speak with someone from the loyalty group.
ME: They are the ones that handle this.
DISH : No Steven, I can fix that for you.
ME: OK thanks
DISH : Steven I can send you the HDMI cable but you have to add Protection Plan $7 per month to avoid the $30 for the HDMI cable.
DISH : Is that okay for you?

ME: No
DISH : As you are a valued customer I can send that free of cost.
ME: Without the protection plan?
DISH : Yes you are right.
ME: Thank you. That is acceptable.

DISH : One moment please.
ME: Will you also be adding the $35 special credit to my account?
DISH : Steven did any one offered $35 credits for you?
ME: No that was not offered to me. But it seems everyone who has posted to Satellite Guys.com has received it. I can also direct you to their posts of their chat sessions that show how it was offered to them.
ME: One moment and I'll see if I can find the exact URL
DISH : Sure, thank you.
DISH : Steven we have already offered you the free Roku and $10 for 6 months on the account.
ME: The transcript of the chat session is at this location - you may need to scroll down: http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-forum/287624-did-you-get-free-roku-offer-83.html
ME: If you look through the 84 pages of posts, you will see that many people have received the offer via the loyalty department
DISH : One moment please.
DISH : Thank you for your patience.
DISH : Steven I just checked with my supervisor and I can offer you a one time credit of $35 on the account.
ME: Perfect. I thank you very much.
DISH : That is all my pleasure.
ME: I understand that I need to call back in 6 months to have the monthly $10 credit extended as per the notes on my account from the other day.
ME: You have been a pleasure to work with
DISH : Yes Steven.
DISH : That is all my pleasure.
DISH : Thank you for your patience and understanding.
DISH : You can view the current promotional offers on your online account from “My Offers” tab.

DISH : Is there anything else I may assist you with?
ME: No worries - aloha from Maui and I will look forward to receiving the HDMI cable.
DISH : Thank you Steven.

Last edited:
What if you do not have a wireless router? They only asked me if I had high speed internet. The Roku does not have an ethernet port. I forgot to ask them about that. I guess they are not going to supply a router if you do not have one are they?

What if you do not have a wireless router? They only asked me if I had high speed internet. The Roku does not have an ethernet port. I forgot to ask them about that. I guess they are not going to supply a router if you do not have one are they?

Doubt they'll supply a wireless router. They asked me if I had wifi (I do.)

Intresting that the no's now exceed the yes votes. I am assuming that the no's are for folks who inquired about one and not those that just don't want one or did not ask for one

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)