Did you know the Hopper 3 can “force” 4K output on all shows?

It's a 2014 Samsung 40" upgraded with an Evolution SEK3500, and yes, I can sit close enough to do a proper test.
You likely wouldn’t see any improvement on the 40”. I know if I had the same model of my 4K TV in 40” I would not be able to tell a difference myself. The PPI of your TV is 110, which is pretty good. The PPI on mine is only 67, and each individual pixel is more defined and spread out. The improvement is definitely appreciated for my screen size.

Shoes22, your point about PPI is irrelevant depending on viewing distance. I can clearly see the improvement in clarity on my 24" 4k computer monitor. Just looking at the blue area on this 1080 monitor, I can see the pixels - not so on my 4k home computer. That's why I did the test sitting close to my 40" set.

Are you claiming that the Hopper3 actually upscales (if it does at all) 1080 pictures better than the TV?

Are you claiming that the Hopper3 actually upscales (if it does at all) 1080 pictures better than the TV?
It may do just that, while some TVs will have the better upscaler.

I'm curious if someone could compare the picture using the technique from the original post vs just tuning directly to one of the same channels. Using the first-post method, the Hopper is upscaling to 4K and the TV should do nothing (pass-through). Tuning directly to the channel, it should pass 1080i (or 720p) and then the TV will do the upscaling. See which is "better" -- which is 100% subjective anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)