Didn't kow the 721 could do this

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Big Bob

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
Casually watching a recorded show on my 721 this morning over breakfast. Got to wondering about PIP and whether I could watch 2 recorded shows at the same time.

So I put the first show in the PIP window, which sent the main screen to a live feed. Went to the pvr menu and selected another show. Bingo, could watch both recorded shows at the same time. Could even pause one, put it in PIP using swap, watch a bit of the other, pause it and switch back. I was impressed. This may have been in the manual, wherever I put it. It was kinda fun though.

Then the tester in me woke up. Wondered just how much the hard drive could handle. So I started to record two separate live shows then watch two separate recorded shows. My 721 handled it with no problem. I muted the sound and could hear that the drive was working quite a bit, but all four streams were handled well.

Then to pile on, I called up a game of solitaire over the 2 recorded shows playing back in PIP while recording 2 other shows in the background. Still rock solid. (BTW, I won the game as well)

Then as a last test, I called up the weather application over the solitaire game displayed over the 2 recorded shows playing in PIP while 2 other shows recorded in the background. No problems again.

I must say, I was impressed. Granted, it should be able to do this, but with all the complaining, you would think it would crap out somewhere in this, but the 721 handled it all with flying colors.

While you're watching two shows and recording two shows and playing a game, go ahead and open more games without closing the first game. I have managed to lock up my 721 with all the games open at once. I haven't tried this on the current software release though...

You can record two shows watching one of those shows as it is recording and watching a previously recorded event all at the same time. That is three tasks all at once on the hard drive, burning two shows at once while reading one in addition to that.

md_paul said:
While you're watching two shows and recording two shows and playing a game, go ahead and open more games without closing the first game. I have managed to lock up my 721 with all the games open at once. I haven't tried this on the current software release though...

I can do the samething by opening up more and more programs on my PC until it crashes. This isn't a "bug", you are merely trying to use more resources than are present which causes the burp.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)