Didn't take Ozzie Guillen long to upset ALL of the Miami Cuban community!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would agree if this was the first time this had happened to him. Maybe he didn't mean to say the words 'love' and 'respect', but he clearly meant to show some sort of twisted admiration for them. Why does he choose to continue make positive statements about his feelings about brutal dictators in his second language?? Common sense, Ozzie....

i agree kramer. whatever he meant i am positive it wasn't hatred towards the man. he screwed up big time plain and simple by making his feelings public about this.....

rey_1178 said:
so has my mother in law and she still doesn't know a lick of english. has nothing to do with it......... i still think ozzy is a you know what but i can't and don't want to get political. either way its his right. he's just an idiot for saying it even if he only meant he likes fidel in some way and not "love". there are a few cubans here who believe it or not love fidel and what he represents but aren't in a position like ozzy is.

Well my wife's grandparents came here in 1991 from Norway, they speak perfect English now.

Unbelievable the way certain people are coddled in this country and others aren't. I guess you have to learn the language when they don't have a Norwegian language drivers manual at the DMV.

I actually don't think anything should happen to him, 5 games for saying something stupid to ridiculous.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

salsadancer7 said:
Obviously, because you do not deal with latinos on a hourly basis and at home, you have no idea. None.

Deleted for civility.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuy

Last edited:

I actually don't think anything should happen to him, 5 games for saying something stupid to ridiculous.

The problem is that the team needs the Cuban community's support. You can't alienate half the population in South Florida and expect the Marlins to make money. I'm sure the owners said "Apologize and make it sincere, or else you're fired!".

Well my wife's grandparents came here in 1991 from Norway, they speak perfect English now.

Unbelievable the way certain people are coddled in this country and others aren't. I guess you have to learn the language when they don't have a Norwegian language drivers manual at the DMV.

i think if you're going to live in a country such as ours that you should make the effort to learn the language. but that's me. and yes the suspension is enough. not like some that want to cut his head off.

The problem is that the team needs the Cuban community's support. You can't alienate half the population in South Florida and expect the Marlins to make money. I'm sure the owners said "Apologize and make it sincere, or else you're fired!".

Especially when the stadium SITS in the middle of an area called "Little Havana".

rey_1178 said:
i think if you're going to live in a country such as ours that you should make the effort to learn the language. but that's me. and yes the suspension is enough. not like some that want to cut his head off.

I Agee with you Rey, I don't think you should have to learn English to live here, but I don't feel sorry for those paying some consequences for not learning it.

This will blow over, remember rashard mednenhall, yeah that's over with so will this in a bit.

Do people down in your area hate Penn, Spielberg, Jackson or Stone? They've all professed their love for Castro. Are their movies and such boycotted?

And I agree with you whole hardily in this case about you SHOULD. But it is natural to THINK in you native tongue if you SPEAK it among those closest to you. I think in spanish because in MY HOUSE, we speak spanish. NO ONE in my house has an accent when they speak...except my mother-in-law.

NO ONE is coddling the fact that he made a very simple mistake....in Miami, you do not bring up Castro unless you follow the sheep. Simple as that. The Cuban community has as HUGE influence here like the Irish in Chicago, the Italian in NYC and the Mexican community in Los Angeles.

IF you ever hear Ozzie when it comes to interviews, he constantly struggles to find the right words to say. There is NO DOUBT he made a mistake. But no one wants as reason...just a hanging.

"It was misintrepreted by what I mean in Spanish," he said. Guillen said he was trying to say that he couldn't believe that someone who has hurt so many "is still in power" and added he did not share Castro's ideology.

Time magazine issued this statement: "Time's interview with Ozzie Guillen was conducted entirely in English. We stand by our story."

Read more here: Miami Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen suspended for 5 games over Fidel Castro comments - Miami Marlins - MiamiHerald.com

Cubans-Americans all over Miami calling in to local sports radio stating they have done the same thing MANY times. I admit I have done the same but opposite.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do people down in your area hate Penn, Spielberg, Jackson or Stone? They've all professed their love for Castro. Are their movies and such boycotted?

I tried send you a youtube interview Ozzie did regarding his thoughts on Sean Penn, since you brought him....but your mailbox is full.

salsadancer7 said:
I tried send you a youtube interview Ozzie did regarding his thoughts on Sean Penn, since you brought him....but your mailbox is full.

Can't delete messages from the iPad. So I looked it up

Good stuff, I was wrong about him and Chavez. I learned something new today. Thanks.

I remember when I 1st met my wife her grandparents would say some strange things in English, so I know what you are saying about things being lost in translation. I remember back than I used to smoke cigarettes and they used an offensive term, we laughed and corrected them, but if it was said in public it would of been different.

Can't delete messages from the iPad. So I looked it up

Good stuff, I was wrong about him and Chavez. I learned something new today. Thanks.

I remember when I 1st met my wife her grandparents would say some strange things in English, so I know what you are saying about things being lost in translation. I remember back than I used to smoke cigarettes and they used an offensive term, we laughed and corrected them, but if it was said in public it would of been different.

See... all we need is communication!:)

Really?? This should be the new online definition for the word 'backtrack'. :eek:

Well...not really. The ones that are complaining the most are older Cubans. The younger generation are a little more open because they have become a little, as they say here in spanish, but I will translate in english: Americanized. LOL!

image-504092557.jpg

image-3265763304.jpg

Hmmm..............

I Agee with you Rey, I don't think you should have to learn English to live here, but I don't feel sorry for those paying some consequences for not learning it.

This will blow over, remember rashard mednenhall, yeah that's over with so will this in a bit.

They may or may not be hart.problem is these things don't bother me. Personally I separate a persons politics from these other things. The community here shouldn't punish the marlins because of ozzies political views. They should separate the two,allow the marlins to handle it as they already have and move on. If they boycott the marlins they will only hurt themselves since that park is there thanks to the tax payers here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)