difference btw 510 & 522

Silver3783

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Please excuse my lack of technical knowledge in this question. I have read many posts and searched for specific information but still have questions.

I am going to be a new customer with Dish Network and here is my setup.

I have on 1 tv being connected and no landline phone in my condo.
The rep set me up with the 510 DVR but after reading up a bit online I am wondering if the 522 will be more beneficial.

I have also been told that I will pay an additional fee (on top of the $4.98 for the DVR/monthly) if I select the 522 because I dont have a landline phone, while the 510 doesn't need a phone connection since I have only 1 tv.

Can someone please explain why the 510 or 522 would be more beneficial in this case and what the phone line has to do with it?

THANKS!

510 has one tuner the 522 has two. So you may watch one channel and record another. I would think that should be your primary concern. Also, if you want two tuners check out a 721 which won't have the bogus VOD fee. You'll have to get that through a retailer though or ebay.

Also the 522 can do Picture in Picture since it has the dual tuners. But the 721 can do that too.

goose61282 said:
510 has one tuner the 522 has two. So you may watch one channel and record another. I would think that should be your primary concern. Also, if you want two tuners check out a 721 which won't have the bogus VOD fee. You'll have to get that through a retailer though or ebay.

why is there an extra charge if you dont have a landline with the 522 ?

It is a DVR, like a Tivo. The tivo has more features and is more reliable. Because you would need a standalone Tivo to use with Dish, it would more expensive and the picture quality wouldn't be as good.

The 522 also has name-based recording. None of the other Dish DVRs have that. At this time, it appears that they may never get it.

You'll need a land line phone with the DirecTV Tivo also, if you'r thinking about that. If you want the 522 for two tuners you'll pay an additional fee of $4.99 for no phone line.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts