OTHER Digipower SG-2100 Replacement ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

freddylq

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 25, 2016
South Gate
Trying to get back into the FTA hobby after 6 years being gone. My small Ku dish is still on it's pole in my backyard with a SG-2100...Bought a GT-Media V7 S2X to replace my old X2 Premium V. I seem to have issues with SG-2100 moving. What are you guys using as a motor ? Going back to my X2 and trying that to see if I can get the SG-2100 working correctly.

I have used my SG-2100 for more than 10 years. I don't particularly recommend it, but it has lasted that long. Some of that time it has been pushing a 1.2m dish. Most recommend the Stab series, but you can't find the HH120 new any longer. I believe HH90 or HH100 may still be available new.

Have you tried resetting the DG-2100? There is a tiny hole on the motor which, while the motor is powered, you press the hidden button using a paper clip. The orange light will flash to show the motor has been reset. Doing this has always fixed any issues for me.

I had two GTMedia boxes where there were problems moving the dish. The startup draw of a Stab, for instance, is 350ma. The two boxes I had trouble with were spec'd at, supposedly, 400ma max. When I changed to a box spec'd at 500ma max the problem went away. I suspect many of these less expensive FTA boxes are spec'd too close to the line with not enough overhead to accommodate variations in motors, cables, switches, etc,. Something to consider maybe. If you go back to the X2 and it works that might be your answer.

You could also try a different power supply - even a slightly larger amperage. 12v 2A.
Also, try moving the dish with only 13v by changing to a vertical channel on a different satellite.

Yes, I have reset the motor a few times following the manual instructions after moving it to the "0" center position. I've even moved it to both its limits using the button on the motor to make sure is wasn't getting stuck anywhere and all well. My system was working properly when I last used it.

I have used my SG-2100 for more than 10 years. I don't particularly recommend it, but it has lasted that long. Some of that time it has been pushing a 1.2m dish. Most recommend the Stab series, but you can't find the HH120 new any longer. I believe HH90 or HH100 may still be available new.

Have you tried resetting the DG-2100? There is a tiny hole on the motor which, while the motor is powered, you press the hidden button using a paper clip. The orange light will flash to show the motor has been reset. Doing this has always fixed any issues for me.
I have reset it a couple of times. I've also slewed it to its limits using the buttons on the motor to make sure it wasn't getting stuck anywhere along the arc. All well.

I had two GTMedia boxes where there were problems moving the dish. The startup draw of a Stab, for instance, is 350ma. The two boxes I had trouble with were spec'd at, supposedly, 400ma max. When I changed to a box spec'd at 500ma max the problem went away. I suspect many of these less expensive FTA boxes are spec'd too close to the line with not enough overhead to accommodate variations in motors, cables, switches, etc,. Something to consider maybe. If you go back to the X2 and it works that might be your answer.
I played with my X2 yesterday night after resetting the motor. I had it go to AMC 21 @ 125 degrees and did a blind scan. I viewed some of the channels on it and it turns out I'm on EchoStar 9 @ 121 degrees! Maybe the motor/dish is not properly aligned to true south after being out there abandoned for so long. What do you guys think ?

The whole motor assembly has probably rotated slightly on its mast over time. Motor USALS to the satellite that is closest to the top of the arc that you can receive. Then manually rotate the whole assembly on its mast until you peak reception of that satellite. Make sure elevation is peaked too. Then motor to other satellites to see if you can receive them.

Reactions: FTA4PA
The whole motor assembly has probably rotated slightly on its mast over time. Motor USALS to the satellite that is closest to the top of the arc that you can receive. Then manually rotate the whole assembly on its mast until you peak reception of that satellite. Make sure elevation is peaked too. Then motor to other satellites to see if you can receive them.
Do I need to set the motor to center "0" before I follow your advise ?

If you're at 118W, then you could use Eutelsat at 117W. It has a strong transponder on 11940 V 30000. Or Echostar at 121W has a strong transponder on 12096 H 9500.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Thank you you all for the advise. I'm going to make the adjustment this coming up weekend. I don't like running back & forth from the front upstairs of my house to the back yard so I'll take my small TV and hook up the receiver on a table next to my dish. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I played with my X2 yesterday night after resetting the motor. I had it go to AMC 21 @ 125 degrees and did a blind scan. I viewed some of the channels on it and it turns out I'm on EchoStar 9 @ 121 degrees! Maybe the motor/dish is not properly aligned to true south after being out there abandoned for so long. What do you guys think ?

Are you using USALS (GotoX), or diseqc 1.2 (GotoNN) commands?
When USALS, are your coordinates set right in your receiver?

Greetz,
A33

Are you using USALS (GotoX), or diseqc 1.2 (GotoNN) commands?
When USALS, are your coordinates set right in your receiver?

Greetz,
A33
Hi A33, using USALS and yes I checked my coordinates and they are correct. Looks like motor is off by a few degrees. Will play with it this coming up weekend.

Looks like motor is off by a few degrees. Will play with it this coming up weekend.

First check would be if the dish is perfectly in line with the motor (with motor on zero), and if the LNB is perfectly in the center (left/right), relative to the dish (LNB arm can be bent or something).

All this, assuming the pole is plumb (at least east/west-wise).

After that comes the aiming to a satellite, as described by cyberham above, by rotating the whole assembly around the pole.
I don't know why he says 'satellite closest to the top of the arc', as that is not quintessential at all, as far as I know, because of the USALS aiming. I prefer to take a not all too strong satellite for that, as to be able to aim more precise.

Greetz,
A33

First check would be if the dish is perfectly in line with the motor (with motor on zero), and if the LNB is perfectly in the center (left/right), relative to the dish (LNB arm can be bent or something).

All this, assuming the pole is plumb (at least east/west-wise).

After that comes the aiming to a satellite, as described by cyberham above, by rotating the whole assembly around the pole.
I don't know why he says 'satellite closest to the top of the arc', as that is not quintessential at all, as far as I know, because of the USALS aiming. I prefer to take a not all too strong satellite for that, as to be able to aim more precise.

Greetz,
A33
I was thinking....since the receiver thinks it's on AMC21 but the dish is actually on Echostar 9 off by 4 degrees can't I just rotate the whole assembly until I get to AMC21 ? I would have to rotate it to the left (east) ?? Off course I would go through your checklist before attempting this.

I was thinking....since the receiver thinks it's on AMC21 but the dish is actually on Echostar 9 off by 4 degrees can't I just rotate the whole assembly until I get to AMC21 ? I would have to rotate it to the left (east) ?? Off course I would go through your checklist before attempting this.
Wouldn't you rotate the assembly toward the west in this case?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)