Digital audio decoder

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

PhilipPeake

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
Many (most?) FTA receivers seem to support digital audio only as far as relaying the digital signal to a port (SPIDIF usually).

This leaves the user with the task of finding something to decode the digital signal. Most high-end home theater systems will do so these days, but many people, like myself, have perfectly adequate home theater systems/amplifiers which just do not support digital signals and their decoding.

You would think that it would be fairly simple to find a standalone digital to analog decoder. However, this is not the case. In the reviews ection there is a review of the Creative Extigy box which apparently works well in this role. However, this is now obsolete, and the Creative replacement is carefully engineered to REQUIRE connection to a computer before it will work, presumably to block its use in this sort of application and force people to look at some of their much more expensive solutions.

I can't find any other standalone decoder anywhere in the US !!!???!!!

However, there is a far-east company which produces something which looks very interesting and appropriate -- it just doesn't appear to have any distributors in the US.

This seems like a business opportunity for someone (Sadoun ??).

The item is viewable here: http://jazzspeakers.english.eyp.com.tw/eyp/front/bin/ptdetail.phtml?Part=DE005&Category=200011096

Various reviews (seemingly good) can be found via Google.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I would be pleased to hear about them.

Another option is the Cambridge Soundworks DTT3500 standalone decoder/amp. It's about the size of my Pansat 2700 and works beautifully with it. Attach speakers to it and you're good to go. I don't know if CS still manufactures it or not, but I found mine at the local Goodwill store for about $25.

On the Contact Us page there is an office in California..

If you want an Extigy look on eBay.. There are always some..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)