Digital Converter questions...

jgantert

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 7, 2004
Aberdeen, MD
Just a couple questions.

First, do all the converter boxes support the "squeeze" mode? Basically this allows a widescreen TV to keep the 16:9 aspect ratio, even though the input source is only 4:3. ie: everyone is tall and skinny, and the picture is full screen. I know the insignia box supports this. Not sure about the Magnavox from Walmart.

Second, what happens if you return a box that you used a gov't coupon for? Do you get the $40 back?

Thanks,
-John

When I was at Best Buy a couple weeks ago, the sales rep flat out said they do not refund the $40 from the coupon if the box was returned. So I am tempted to buy a couple converters on my credit card and return them, then use my coupon to buy the one I liked.

Here's from the DTV2009 website's FAQ:
You will not be able to receive cash or credit for the coupon amount, but you can receive cash or credit for any amount you paid out of pocket, if the store policy permits returns or exchanges.

While I ccan see why you want the 40 to allow that would allow people to pay $10 or less and get back all their money plus the base $40 that is the Government's contribution.

I have argued vociferously that I see no ethical or moral problem with applying for coupons thatI am legally entitles to receive as long as i use the coupons for a purpose that the law and implementing regs allow. But if this were allowed people could use the coupons to get $40 richer which was not the intended purpose of the program.

BTW I know that none of you intended to do this. I am just explaining why they chose to close off this option.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)