Digital or analog?

kirkdj

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 15, 2004
So what's the true story? Are the first 100 or so channels in charters menu digital or analog? If I had a HD receiver or a dvr are they upconverted to digital as I read somewhere?

Yes, they are analog. And yes, an HD box or DVR will convert to digital, but they still look like crap.

So?

So all Charter's converted digital channels pretty much suck compared to Dish or Direct TV's?

The first 100 channels are simply analog and are not converted to digital even with a DVR or HD box. But in the next month or two, they are going to be converting everything to digital as long as you have some sort of box, which should take care of the grainy analogs.

New Boxes

Will they have to issue new boxes for this implement this feature?

cableman265 said:
The first 100 channels are simply analog and are not converted to digital even with a DVR or HD box. But in the next month or two, they are going to be converting everything to digital as long as you have some sort of box, which should take care of the grainy analogs.

How do you know this? Please stay off the rumor mill here. If you know something for sure please tells how you know.

People are saying in this forum that they don't even have HD with Charter yet but your saying Charter is going all digital. Your comment brings up a whole host of questions. Here is a few;

1. If Charter goes all digital, will all the locals available in HD not currently provided in HD on Charter be HD when Charter goes all digital?

2. Is everyone with out a digital box now going to have to pay rental for a box to get cable?

3. How does going all digital effect the carrying capacity of the cable?

4. Is this all digital stuff going to happen everywher all at once or is it going to be phased in in different areas?

5. If it's going to be phased in, which areas are going to get all digital first?

6. I read a press release about a year ago that Charter was planning to go all digital. Are there any areas where Charter has gone all digital already?

Remember, you have high demanding ex-VOOMers in this forum. If you don't want your comments to be pulled apart by the treads, you better know what your talking about or you better not make the comments.

By all digital I mean, if you have a digital box already then channels 1-100 will become digital channels. Right now they are analog even if you have a digital box. Basically there will be 2 sets of channels 1-100 simulcast and if you have a box of some sort, it will use the digital set of channels. If you dont have a box, then you will only be able to get the analog ones. All your channels will be the same, only the picture quality will change at first. It will allow for more channels eventually because you can fit about 6 digital channels in the space of one analog channel. I live in the St Louis market and this should be rolling out this summer sometime.

I had the Moxi box installed yesterday (I'm a reluctant post-VoOm re-subscriber.) He told me the digital simulcast would be complete May 25 in my area, Onalaska, Wisconsin.

digital simulcast

I emailed charter asking about the simulcast and they said that is the plan but in the Newtown Ct. system they don't have the bandwith now. I don't know how many mhz system ours is. I know adelphia next to us has a 860mhz system and they seem to have quite a bit of bandwith to use. Supposedly we just finished a upgrade in the last year so I doubt they will be doing another one so soon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts