"Digital Service" on ALL major networks (OTA)

ctjr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 13, 2006
Missed recording the first 15 minutes of LOST tonight, as my 622 was simply showing "Digital Service" on all of my OTA major networks. Anyone know what's up with that?

I'm in Richmond, VA, which is scheduled to get Sat HD locals soon.. have anything to do with it?

Yes, they appear to be showing up. Just the HD OTA stations. My other 622 shows correct data, so maybe just a glitch on this particular box? Oh, and I should mention the signal is there, just not in the guide and so, it didn't record.

SAme here on my ota stations for Beaumont/Pt.Arthur ,Texas locals- I lost all guide data. I have Houston locals in hd /sd and I have ota for Beaumont/Pt.Arthur . My friend who subs to these Beaumont locals through DISH said there was a slate up earlier today saying that they knew of the problems and no need to call and that the locals would return soon. This was around 4:00pm and they returned by 6:00pm. I had to run a checkswitch to get guide data back.

Now this is happening on my other 622. Running checkswitch and a hard restart didn't do any good. I find it strange that TWO boxes are exhibiting this behavior when neither (to my knowledge, anyway) have before.

Could it be due to some software change? It's really a PITA for one of them, as it's hooked to a projector, which I don't like to switch on unless I will be watching something for awhile.

Missed recording the first 15 minutes of LOST tonight, as my 622 was simply showing "Digital Service" on all of my OTA major networks. Anyone know what's up with that?

I'm in Richmond, VA, which is scheduled to get Sat HD locals soon.. have anything to do with it?

This happened last week when Dish uplinked some (WTVR6, WRIC8, WWBT12 and WRLH35) Richmond HD locals on 61.5. Of course, these channels are not yet available. I still had guide data for the other Richmond locals that were not uplinked (23, 57, 65), so it seems there is some sort of coincidence to the loss of guide data and the newly uplinked channels.

This is starting to suck big-time, like so many things of late with Dish.

Now BOTH 622s only show "Digital Service" on my OTA locals. What makes it worse is that the guide will not allow "future navigation," where I could look at my sat locals and figure out what's on and then just choose the appropriately timed "Digital Service." The guide (in that row) won't go any further than current time, which means I either have to set everything for manually timed or else make sure the set is on and hit record when it comes on.

This is a real drag. I may call tech support, but I wonder if they will even know what to make of it.

Right now I am seeing the same thing on all of my locals again in Beaumont/Pt.Arthur,Texas locals. THis is crazy as I have already missed the ending of Jericho because of this. THey need to get it fixed . I still think it is due to DISH putting our locals up in hd on 61.5 because only the big 4 networks are effected. THE Cw sub station of my Cbs ota station & Tbn are not effected and still have guide data.

I tend to agree, as we are scheduled to go live with HD locals in May (Richmond). I can't imagine it's coincidence, but it IS super annoying.

OK, now I have to ask and show my ignorance. My ViP211 never shown ANYTHING BUT "Digital Service" in the guide for my OTAs. I've had three different receivers and that's all the any have shown.

Is this a market thing (Balt/Wash)? something peculiar to the 211? or something else?

I had assumed it to be normal.

Don't know about the 211, but my 622s have always (with the occasional BRIEF "digital service" hiccup) had the program guide for the OTA channels. I probably record more OTA than anything else,so this has a pretty big impact.

OK, now I have to ask and show my ignorance. My ViP211 never shown ANYTHING BUT "Digital Service" in the guide for my OTAs. I've had three different receivers and that's all the any have shown.

Is this a market thing (Balt/Wash)? something peculiar to the 211? or something else?

I had assumed it to be normal.

Do you subscribe to locals through Dish? You have to subscribe to Dish's locals to get guide data of OTA.

My world and welcome to it

That Digital Service guide info for an OTA channel is old news to me. When you live in a DMA with two stations carrying the same content, and you are on the side of the "affiliate" stations, then this is all you'll ever see. My SD locals come from the main coverage area, and only one is directly received OTA. The rest are repeating affiliates, and I have to record anything on those in SD since the guide info never shows for the digital signals of the affiliates.

This also impacts local news. Without an OTA antenna you can't get truly local news since the affiliates have separate news divisions. This is the real Achilles heel of getting local stations via Dish.

sigmtr

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)