Status
Not open for further replies.

Madtown HD Junkie

Occasional Supreme Being
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 3, 2004
Madison, WI
I have tried Charter for my television, thought D* is still active as I hope more HD is coming :confused: , and all they offer for an out on the moxi box is component. The DVI output is not active.
My question is can they deliver a true "digital" signal using component cable from box to TV?
and also I thought standard rg6 cable, rca(yellow), and the s-video are all analog signals?
am I close here or do I need to put the JW Black down

ty

Component cables and RGB connectors provide analog connection. DVI sends an uncompressed digital signal to the display. HMDI sends an uncompressed video signal and an audio signal to the display. 1394 sends compressed digital signal (video and audio) and is often 2-way.

Thanks Toto, but what I was looking for was an answer to the Charter specific question.

"My question is can they deliver a true "digital" signal using component cable from box to TV?
:confused:

Component cables provide an analog signal. However, that does not preclude them from providing excellent HDTV. The DAC is in the STB outputing via component cables. Many people with DVI and HDMI cable connections still have an analog driven video display. In their case the DAC is in their DTV.

It is not a big deal at this time. However, should Hollywood get their way with Congress, at some future date, protected HD material may only be allowed to pass via an HDCP compliant digital (DVI/HDMI) connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts