Diplexing an antenna into the 942?

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Helping out a forum member who has a 942 and I was wondering for future use too : )

Setup is 942
2 Dishes (110/119 & 61.5) combined with a DP34

Can you diplex an antenna into one of the lines running from the DP34 to the receiver instead of running a separate line for OTA?

Since the antenna is amplified (12V) by the 942 and you use another switch for the two dishes I could see a conflict. I have a separate R-6 directly from the old VOOM OTA antenna, then only one cable split to the DVR. Works very good and was surprised that I didn't need a total of three cables. The old RCA UTV DirecTV DVR with two turners (was the first) required two cable runs, so with two dishes I thought two would be required, too. If the antenna was not amplified I could see it working, but in my location I am now receiving Local channels that I have never received before North, with the antenna pointing SOUTH. Some have not experienced the same results but in my case I am glad my OTA is on a separate cable run. Great picture!

This is interesting. I have an install (another try!) set for Thursday morning. They'll be doing a similar setup: 110/119 plus 61.5 to a single 942, but I believe instead of a switch they are going to apparently tie in the 61.5 to a DishPro Plus Twin LNB.

Question:

I already have two lines from attic to living room. I was planning on using one of them for an OTA (big channelmaster in the attic, with an amp up there already) and the other for the TV2 output of the 942. I thought I might then run two more lines in from the dish to the 942 for a total of four total lines into the living room (OTA, TV2 out, 2 satellite).

Would it be possible instead to run a single line from the LNB to the attic, use a diplexor to combine the OTA with the satellite feed and run that down a single line to the living room, split out the OTA to the 942 and then split the satellite feed to the two Sat tuners? That would mean I'd be running everything in on one line and could still use the second one for TV2 out.

If this will work without too much signal degradation then I'll be very happy and it would save on running extra cable!

CDH.

PS -- I should add that the OTA was running through a diplexor on my Voom set-up with no problems receiving locals.

I have the exact setup you are describing - two dishes (110/119 & 61.5) attached to a DP34 switch with two separate lines running to each tuner of the 942, OTA diplexed only on only one of the lines. The Channel Master Stealth antenna requires amplification, and the 942 povides the power and passes that through the diplexers with no problems. Granted, I have only had this setup for two weeks, but I am not having any problems with either the 942 or OTA. Hope that helps.

Unh. You gotta have power-passing diplexers to run the antenna amp.

They should be labelled. Broken line (similar to the electronic symbol for a capacitor) means it's DC-blocked.

I will have a similar install done on Tuesday. I have 3 room install 2 811s and 1 311, I plan on using my non powered antenna for OTA...so in reading all this I am guessing the installer will be using a DP34 for the switch....and its mentioned you run the diplexing after the DP34....what kind of combiner do I need, or can I expect the installer to have this? I have an exisiting Aspen Eagle multiswitch from my previous voom install however it only goes to 2050mhz so I am guessing this wont be good enough. Can anyone recommend combiners/multiswitches they are using to diplex in OTA with their dish network setup? Thanks!!!

Most any diplexer will work fine - select it based on high-frequency and your need for power-passing or not (at the switch end - it should ALWAYS be power-blocking at the receiver end). Multiswitches are NO appropriate.

Whether the installer has them or not is a coin toss.

Ok I plan on leaving my OTA hooked up to the multiswitch and then off each port add my diplexor and the line for the OTA and Dish then run that into house and split it back off there....basically using the multiswitch on my OTA as a splitter

OK. That might work - but I'd be worried about excessive loss.

The signal paths are correct, but a multiswitch/diplexer is NOT a splitter. You're going through an unnecessary set of bandpass filters. Splitters are cheap enough - be prepared to swap one in in case of any OTA SQ trouble.

Thanks for the help...using the multiswitch with my OTA to 3 tvs all have signals mid 90's and I live around 30 miles from the towers....the only thing that would cause further signal degrade is going through the diplexers before and after....

Well I got all my stuff hooked up today (2 811 and 1 301). Instead of using a switch like a DP34 he just used a quad LNB and ran 3 seperate lines. Had the perfect vision diplexers on hand so it turned out awesome couldnt be happier.

I am adding an OTA to my 942 Dishpro install, i have a couple diplexers lying around, so i am connecting inline after the dishes. I have noticed a definate drop in OTA reception though, and may have to go to a dedicated line for the OTA. Disappointing, as i was happy about only having one line run.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)