Direct with FTA dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Greysquirrel

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
My cable is going to have a substantial increase come the New Year so I am thinking of going with Direct.
My question is can I use my FTA dish for Direct, can I split the signal before it gets to my FTA receiver, or could I feed the signal out of my box and into the Direct box? I know I will need a circular LNB.
My reason is that a Direct dish would have to be out by my FTA dish which is 100 feet from my house and that would entail running another 150 feet of cable to a Direct box and TV.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

My cable is going to have a substantial increase come the New Year so I am thinking of going with Direct.
My question is can I use my FTA dish for Direct, can I split the signal before it gets to my FTA receiver, or could I feed the signal out of my box and into the Direct box? I know I will need a circular LNB.
My reason is that a Direct dish would have to be out by my FTA dish which is 100 feet from my house and that would entail running another 150 feet of cable to a Direct box and TV.

No the newer technology with DirecTV is not compatible with FTA dish, or receivers that are FTA. Encryption is different. You have to use their Dish which is free if your a paying customer, so why not let them give it to you?

No the newer technology with DirecTV is not compatible with FTA dish, or receivers that are FTA. Encryption is different. You have to use their Dish which is free if your a paying customer, so why not let them give it to you?

If I have to I will I was just trying not to run a long run of cable which I am sure they will charge me for, how much I guess I will have to find out.
They may me able to get closer to my house, I'll have to find out what satellite is Direct and take a reading on its location.

Thanks for the reply and information.

If I have to I will I was just trying not to run a long run of cable which I am sure they will charge me for, how much I guess I will have to find out.
They may me able to get closer to my house, I'll have to find out what satellite is Direct and take a reading on its location.

Thanks for the reply and information.

I'm sure they want you to have business with them and they will do a free deal with you. A free install of a new satellite dish 5 LNB, and you just need to decide if it is cost effective for you for programming.

FTA is aimed at Nagravision reception not Videoguard.

I'm sure they want you to have business with them and they will do a free deal with you. A free install of a new satellite dish 5 LNB, and you just need to decide if it is cost effective for you for programming.

FTA is aimed at Nagravision reception not Videoguard.

Cost will be the main factor, I have to remember to get my broadband without cable it will cost me $55 so I may be paying as much or more than I would for cable for the same programming.

Cost will be the main factor, I have to remember to get my broadband without cable it will cost me $55 so I may be paying as much or more than I would for cable for the same programming.

Well if you can get cable, which it sounds like you can't, Comcast is offering a deal for a 6 Mbps connection for $19.95 monthly for six months. To keep you as a customer they tend to extend it beyond the six months.

Hope it works out.

Well if you can get cable, which it sounds like you can't, Comcast is offering a deal for a 6 Mbps connection for $19.95 monthly for six months. To keep you as a customer they tend to extend it beyond the six months. .

I have cable now the problem I have is that I am grandfathered with an old package that they do not sell anymore and are thinking about making all the subs that have that package pay the current price. I get basic and extended basic for the current price of $55 and ALL the movie and digital channels and internet connection for $64 which is way below the current price, Internet alone costs $50, the only drawback is that I cannot change any part of my package or I pay the current fees, so I can't even get HD for $10.00 without it costing me a lot more in the end.
That is why I am thinking about Direct, I can get HD with the locals in HD and a HD DVR which I will need as I now record all I watch on two Replay TV DVR. If the cable co changes its policy it will be cheaper to go with Direct but as of right now my cable is cheaper also Dish does not offer my locals in HD.

the answer is yes!

Use your fta dish parabola for directv, it's a great idea! This will combat rain fade during wet weather. I believe the lnb neck is about 40mm. Take the Directv lnb & clamp it onto your fta fish. :eureka

Use your fta dish parabola for directv, it's a great idea! This will combat rain fade during wet weather. I believe the lnb neck is about 40mm. Take the Directv lnb & clamp it onto your fta fish. :eureka

This sound workable, I'll be working with local installers so they will work with be better than one of Direct traveling installers, at least I know they will show up or I can stand face to face and ask why they didn't and there are three local shops that do their own work so there is some competition and even if they won't work with me on clamping the LNB onto my dish if they just bury the cable and put their dish on a pole I can change it over if I do have any rain fade or put up another 30 inch dish if needed.

IF this helps,
The cable is...cable. Find out the lines (az) to your sat and the DTV system. If they are near you can just bolt the DTV mast to the FTA dish. If you do NOT move the big dish you will be tuned to both systems. You just have to move the cable from on LNB to the other.

This is not hacking. The gear just sits until connected & activated.

I do this occasionally if only to use the proven underground cable. Sometimes the old Ka band dishes come down and we just use the pole and wire. Electrons don't care.

Enjoy!

Joe

There was a time a little over two years ago when that might have worked. Now that DIRECTV has added Ka band to their repertoire, it doesn't work any more.

Let me understand your question better. Are you saying that you no longer want to use your FTA dish (30"+ in size) for FTA reception, but instead you want to use the dish for DirecTV reception?

If that is the case, then yes, you can use it with a circular LNBF and aim at 101 satellite or 110 satellite. However, you will only be able to receive signal from one satellite.

Also, you can remove your FTA dish, and have the installer put in its place an AU9 satellite antenna. This antenna has 5 LNBFs buil-in. So you will be able to receive signal from all DTV satellites.

Another assumption: You want to keep your FTA dish, but want to add DTV AU9 dish and use one cable for both.

You can do that as will. You will have to use a DiSEqC switch. Connect AU9 to port 1, and FTA dish to port 2. Connect switch to existing cable (at the dish side). Now use the loop through output on your FTA receiver to connect to your DTV receiver using a short jumper cable.

Whenever you turn OFF your FTA receiver, the DiSEqC switch will defauls back to port 1. This will allow the signal to pass through between the AU9 dish and the DTV receiver.

Another assumption: You want to keep your FTA dish, but want to add DTV AU9 dish and use one cable for both.

You can do that as will. You will have to use a DiSEqC switch. Connect AU9 to port 1, and FTA dish to port 2. Connect switch to existing cable (at the dish side). Now use the loop through output on your FTA receiver to connect to your DTV receiver using a short jumper cable.

Whenever you turn OFF your FTA receiver, the DiSEqC switch will defauls back to port 1. This will allow the signal to pass through between the AU9 dish and the DTV receiver.

Yes this is what I was trying to find out, I have a motorized dish so would I only need one LNB from Direct if I can find a way to connect it to my dish? If not this still seem workable.
I still want to keep my FTA as I watch a number of birds but mostly G10R, I mostly watch cable in the evenings
When or if I lose my programming pricing exemption I think this is the way to go.
Thanks for the information.

Last edited:
No it isn't. Do you know what real FTA is?

When an honest costumer can get a free dish to get programming by legit companies like DirecTV or Dish Network, why deal with known hack sites to obtain the receiver equipment which doesn't offer legal FTA in the USA? I am assuming this site is based on United States Laws. If not then maybe there is an argument.

Lets face it most the FTA sites are non American based, in Canada, and import equipment that can defeat the Dish Network Nagravision systems to get all programming for free. So Satelliteguys.us doesn't condone this.

No it isn't. Do you know what real FTA is?

Thank you, sir.

I use a true FTA setup for the simple purpose of snagging a multitude of international channels off G25-97°[PIE](hence my screenname made when I was having a hellacious amount of trouble getting the dish to cooperate. Thanks much to the folks who gave pointers, btw)[/PIE].

On occasion, I'll flip through LyngSat to see what else is out there in the way of wild feeds and satellite radio, but a basic cable subscription
plus NetFlix gives me plenty without having to fool with the insane amount of headache and legal issues involved with hacking N2.

No sense in taking that chance for much of any reason.

As for the original question, it might take some modification on your part or with the help of the installer if he's a good hand at it, but I have a sneaking suspicion it's quite possible. I'm considering adding on a spare circular LNB on the opposite side of my 4020 dish's Ku bit, making three all total. I figure that if I can drag that much more off one dish, that's one less cable to worry about and one less dish to mount and point.

I can see where the Ka bit might be a pain to work with in getting it all to function, but the whole part that makes true FTA fun is figuring out what works and what doesn't. Being unfamiliar with that aspect, I couldn't truly say without some extra research.

Hope you get a worthwhile solution going for you!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)