CE Facts

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jtn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 12, 2007
Springfield, MA
Cutting Edge is for anyone who wishes to have an early internal tested release of firmware for a specific receiver. It really is no different than a national release other than giving you new options that are released early. Some websites try to take credit for this and are control freaks. Don't be intimidated by these sites who are trying to dominate your mind. DirecTV would not release firmware if it would harm your equipment. It would be costly to them if they did, think about it, don't be brainwashed.
:eek:

Cutting Edge is for anyone who wishes to have an early internal tested release of firmware for a specific receiver. It really is no different than a national release other than giving you new options that are released early. Some websites try to take credit for this and are control freaks. Don't be intimidated by these sites who are trying to dominate your mind. DirecTV would not release firmware if it would harm your equipment. It would be costly to them if they did, think about it, don't be brainwashed.

The facts are that there are some risks with a beta software download. Just as Hemi 6.1. He, and a few others, have had their boxes bricked. These are rare occurrences, but they do happen.

The purpose of the CE, your MISSING....
The purpose, for those that want to participate is to allow D* to send you the latest software to your receiver so that they can test it and get feedback as to how it works and make corrections BEFORE it goes national and EVERYONE gets some software that may not do what the company wants.
Not all rec's respond the same to the software.
D* takes the feedback and makes adjustments to it long before you see it in a National Release, otherwise you would get a NR every week or so.

Incase you haven't noticed, some of these software updates did not go over very well, although most have been fine.
Also, the rec. does not have to be bricked in order for it to be a "Not good for Prime time " release.
They then decide, do they tweak it and try again or remove the portion of the software that was not working properly.

I give D* alot of credit, thier rec's HR20-700 particularly have come a LOOOOOng way since the beginning.
Keep up the good work D* :up

Incase you missed it, this site missed a CE last week, someone reported here, so that other site you don't like, must be doing something ....
I have no problem with either site, I normally post over here and occasionally over there (check my post count) no problem with either, unless of course you go looking for problems.

Jimbo

The purpose of the CE, your MISSING....
The purpose, for those that want to participate is to allow D* to send you the latest software to your receiver so that they can test it and get feedback as to how it works and make corrections BEFORE it goes national and EVERYONE gets some software that may not do what the company wants.
Not all rec's respond the same to the software.
D* takes the feedback and makes adjustments to it long before you see it in a National Release, otherwise you would get a NR every week or so.

Incase you haven't noticed, some of these software updates did not go over very well, although most have been fine.
Also, the rec. does not have to be bricked in order for it to be a "Not good for Prime time " release.
They then decide, do they tweak it and try again or remove the portion of the software that was not working properly.

I give D* alot of credit, thier rec's HR20-700 particularly have come a LOOOOOng way since the beginning.
Keep up the good work D* :up

Incase you missed it, this site missed a CE last week, someone reported here, so that other site you don't like, must be doing something ....
I have no problem with either site, I normally post over here and occasionally over there (check my post count)

Jimbo

Yes Jim, DirecTV had no choice, and it behooves them to make sure it works as designed.
:)

Yes Jim, DirecTV had no choice, and it behooves them to make sure it works as designed.
:)

Of course, They want to make it work the best it can, just like any other company that brings out a new product.

Many other companies would bring it to the public and if it had troubles, not bother to make improvements to it and move on to the next generation. At least they are working on it.

You all fail to remember that the other DVR's out there did not start flawless either, there were plenty of issues with the TIVO line for quite awhile as well (I'm sure thats what you are referring to) There are other companies they could have used as a starting point, they could use Replay, they had a lot of good ideas ... TIVO was the LOVE of the DVR users so they adopted to do something like that.

Jimbo

Of course, They want to make it work the best it can, just like any other company that brings out a new product.

Many other companies would bring it to the public and if it had troubles, not bother to make improvements to it and move on to the next generation. At least they are working on it.

You all fail to remember that the other DVR's out there did not start flawless either, there were plenty of issues with the TIVO line for quite awhile as well (I'm sure thats what you are referring to) There are other companies they could have used as a starting point, they could use Replay, they had a lot of good ideas ... TIVO was the LOVE of the DVR users so they adopted to do something like that.

Jimbo

Exactly!.This is DirecTV's first attempt at a in house DVR.So when it first came out it was a POS.To think Dish or Tivo's first DVR were perfect is wrong they also were POS.But I have never seen a company do what DirecTV is doing,they are putting their money where their mouth is.This Cutting Edge program is an outstanding program and it doesn't matter who thought of it,what really matters is DirecTV is doing it and they will make their product one of the best,if not the best on the market.;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts