directional to multi-directional

krisman

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
tn
I have a 91 xg model that picks up great for what stations i do get which is about 10. but i should be getting fox, cbs (and i lost abc when i lowered my antenna a bit), all coming in from the same direction and im not getting those channels. I am just curious to whether a multi directional 4 bay antenna would be a better choice for me? i am very satisified with the reception i get now but would love to see some more stations. any help is appreciated. im about 55 miles away and the terrain is a little hilly.

i have a uhf and a vhf. i had to lower it down 5 feet due to the wind bending my pole, but that also put the antennas closer to the pre amp. how close should the antennas be together? right now they are within 5 feet of one another where they were about 10 feet apart. i would put it up higher if i could but i have no idea how to keep it stable enough in high winds with just a single pole.

how close should the antennas be together? right now they are within 5 feet of one another where they were about 10 feet apart.
I've done 2 installs with the antennas 1 foot apart from the center (not including the reflector) & reception is stellar. I started with them 4 feet apart, but the UHF antenna worked best overall at a lower height in both cases. VHF reception remained unchanged regardless of height or proximety to the UHF antenna.

I suggest adjusting the height up/down in increments of 6 inches & leave the UHF antenna wherever it works best overall.

The photo above is not the most recent. Both antennas are now above the rotor & closer together.

The CM4228 HD is an 8-bay bowtie antenna that performs similar to the 91XG for UHF reception, but also does okay on high (7-13) VHF. I don't think that a 4-bay bowtie would be a good replacement for the 91XG.

DRCars

... i would put it up higher if i could but i have no idea how to keep it stable enough in high winds with just a single pole.
You need to fit a guy ring onto the pole and run three, maybe four, guy wires from the ring to screws sunk deep into structural members of your home (roof trusses, studs, etc.). Merely driving the screws into the roof deck or siding isn't sufficient – one good, stiff gust will tear one or more of the screws out. If done right, guy wires should keep the mast steady in sustained winds as high as 80 mph. Keep the guy ring at least four feet below the boom of the VHF antenna if possible. Otherwise, the guy wires will sap gain from the antenna.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)