DirectTV HD vs Voom HD quality

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DrWho

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 11, 2004
Well, I had DirectTV installed on Saturday.

With the RCA HD Reciever Direct TV offers.

The installation went well, I didn't really like the fact that the installer put the dish on the roof instead of a hanging on the roof. I hope he sealed it well, no biggie though.

The HD quality at first and for that matter the quality of all the Channels was terrible. It wasn't the channels though, it was this 'screen' like image on all the images viewed. Even the black backgrounds of channels I do not have were never a solid black.

A call to direct helped to isolate the problem. We changed the mode to 480p/i on the Reciever. Then the images and black were crisp, yet I did not have HD singals at that point.

We switched back to 1080i, My tv only uses 1080i and again this 'screen' like image appeared on all images.

Well, so I was waiting on the 2nd Tier Level of tech support as the woman was going to send me out a new box, but as I was waiting I tried a 3rd set of component cables, I tried another set previously on first tier.

Well, all of a sudden, the channels came in great, no 'screen' over every images, and blacks were solid.

So, with all that, I like the HD images. I saw grain on HDNET Movies, but I can live with that. The Football Game last night was much improved. And just fine.

I hand it to Direct TV for being patient and helping out. It was really my stupid cables on my end that just were not cutting, even though I was using the same ones I was using with Voom.

So far I like all the additional channel, sCinemax and with the HD I am greatly relieved.

Nice service so far with Direct!

OH, as far as the -VS- I can't really say at this point who has better Quality.

I might have to go with Voom but not by much and I look forward to when Direct launches those new Sats in April 2005.

I Have Both D* & V* And I Would Say The HD PQ Is Better On V* & The SD PQ Is Better On D*

Yeah, no complaints about SD quality on D* yet except for a little softness, but I may be able to fix that with some TV settings.

I have been so busy at work I have been barely able to watch the beloved TV :) .

I also really like the D* program guide better, which incidentally is different on the HDTV Receiver and the Regual Reciever in the other bedroom.

I also like how it's super easy to pick a program for viewing at a later time, you just put the cursor over the program and hit 'select'. Simple. On Voom you had to go through some screens to get to the actual Planner.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)