DIRECTV: 100 HDTV Channels In 2007

Status
Please reply by conversation.
LOL, how on earth can you conclude directv will be the hd leader without seeing what its competitors do by then? You don't have to announce your plans 6+ months in advance. Don't expect directv's competitors to just sit on their hands....

Competitor (no 's'/no plural) There is currently only 1 DBS competitor; the only true national market and business model comparison.

OK; So what new birds does Echostar have going up? What are their payloads? What are their orbital assignments? What additional features or channels will those launches provide? Please post some of that competitor rebuttal you eluded to. We would all like to read and compare it versus what we all already know about DirecTV for the last year or so and their 4 sat system to be completed in 2007.

Last edited:
OK, I'll start:

In addition to BUYING a ready to go solution, pre-built and pre-launched bird (Rainbow1 / aka Echostar 12) and securing deals to also carry a reduced version of their Voom programming.........

From: Space Systems/Loral (SS/L) - announced in December 2004 that it has been selected by EchoStar Communications Corporation, Englewood, Colo., to build EchoStar 11, a new direct broadcast satellite (DBS) based on SS/Ls LS-1300 platform that will support EchoStar's DISH Network and serve as backup to its existing fleet.
EchoStar 11, anticipated to be delivered in early 2007, will be the fifth SS/L-built satellite in the EchoStar fleet.

I currently read a early spring 2007 launch plan; unless someone has newer info. I also do not currently see any other listed/planned launches; does anyone have newer info to share?

http://www.satnews.com/free/planned.html

Misc announced plans, not yet determined or built:
(Sorry, they list as East Degrees)
ECHOSTAR NEW 239.0 Must be launched before September 2009 DISH NETWORK SERVICE L.L.C. - ECHOSTAR (no details)
ECHOSTAR NEW 277.0 Must be launched before September 2009 DISH NETWORK SERVICE L.L.C. - ECHOSTAR (no details)
ECHOSTAR NEW 251.0 Must be launched before September 2009 DISH NETWORK SERVICE L.L.C. - ECHOSTAR (no details)

Last edited:
Competitor (no 's'/no plural) There is currently only 1 DBS competitor; the only true national market and business model comparison.

OK; So what new birds does Echostar have going up? What are their payloads? What are their orbital assignments? What additional features or channels will those launches provide? Please post some of that competitor rebuttal you eluded to. We would all like to read and compare it versus what we all already know about DirecTV for the last year or so and their 4 sat system to be completed in 2007.

Funny, I seem to recall in the latest commercial directv directly comparing themselves to not just dish, but cable and other broadband providers in terms of hd capacity. Directv has no idea what the large cable companies, FIOS etc will be offering in the future. And part of my point is competitors are not required to rebutt directv's grand claims for the futures now, especially when they are already in the lead in terms of hd in many ways.

And the numbers of channels is certainly important, but so are the quality of hd reception and equipment among other factors. And right now the hr20 ranks among the worst hd dvrs in the industry and hd lite remains pervasive. All that will factor into to really is the hd leader.

I don't get this. I like D*. I've had the service since 1994, but they aren't the be all end all. It's JUST TV!!! If someone else gives me something better and something cheaper, I'm gone. Right now D* is STILL in the "I'm going to be the best" phase, but they haven't done it yet.

If you count all the channels that are RSN's in HD and all the channels used for HD games for MLBEI, NHLCI, NBA, and what few college HD games on the college football and basketball packages etc.

That adds alot of HD channels to D*.

DirecTV sees 100 HD channels

http://today.reuters.com/news/artic...xml&WTmodLoc=TechNewsHome_C1_[Feed]-1:yippee:

CES (January 8, 2007) -- DIRECTV says it plans to offer 100 High-Definition TV channels in 2007 -- and it has already secured carriage agreements with 60, including CNN and The Sci-Fi Channel.

The high-def expansion is expected to take place in mid-year when the satcaster's two new satellites are operational.

DIRECTV says the new HD channels will include high-def versions of several well-known networks, including those owned by NBC Universal and Time Warner's Turner Networks.

The so-called "lead" will be jockeying back and forth between providers. If it wasn't for the HD filler of the Voom channels, of which I have no use, E* would be right on par with D* and C*, possibly even behind either or both in some areas.

For instance, with C*, I get my local sports in HD, plus MHD, which I beleieve neither dbs service has right now. I also get a couple of HD locals that dbs doesn't provide, as well as several digital sub-channels, also absent from DBS. I still get UHD, TNTHD, ESPNHD, DISCHD, and the other main nat'l HD channels (minus NGHD, unfortunately). So, C*, in my area, is actually pretty decent in the HD dept.

But, D* might pass it by this year. As might E*. Of course, there's always IPTV. FiOS sounds great, but is not available in my area. U-Verse has recently begun rolling out in my area. They have a huge HD selection. But, due to bandwidth limitations, cannot record more than one HD channel at a time. (MAJOR shortcoming, I might add.)

The bottom line is that the so-called "HD Leader" is constantly changing. And, the definition of HD Leader can be different to different people. (For instance, as I mentioned above, Voom doesn't mean sh*t to me. RSN in HD may not mean sh*t to somebody else.)

So, you people need to relax. These are freakin service providers. No need to get so attached or loyal. Just choose the one that meets your needs, and switch to a different one if those needs change, or they offer more value for you. It's incredibly simple.

LOL, how on earth can you conclude directv will be the hd leader without seeing what its competitors do by then? You don't have to announce your plans 6+ months in advance. Don't expect directv's competitors to just sit on their hands, even if they do deliver on their promises. I seriously doubt most of the national hd networks are going to be launching only on directv.

Talk about rampant directv fanboyism.

Well it's funny how people rip D* for stating their HD plan at CES and when E* had the stage they announced their plans but not a word on future HD. So it's very easy to say D* will be the leader over E* and cable co. Hell most cable companys are just now claiming to add ESPN 2

Well it's funny how people rip D* for stating their HD plan at CES and when E* had the stage they announced their plans but not a word on future HD. So it's very easy to say D* will be the leader over E* and cable co. Hell most cable companys are just now claiming to add ESPN 2

Most cable companies are light years behind either D* or E*. Many are still putting out grainy analog channels. That is when they are working.

I beg to differ as far as hd. I would say the vast majority of the major cable companies offer either more hd channels and/or better quality hd than directv, and equal or better hd dvrs than the hr20. Even the mediocre hd dvrs some cable companies give you you can at least hack moreso than the hr20, to enable some sort of video sharing that directv will probably not deliver for months, if not years.

I would say directv does have an edge more often when it comes to comparing non-hd channels.

I beg to differ as far as hd. I would say the vast majority of the major cable companies offer either more hd channels and/or better quality hd than directv, and equal or better hd dvrs than the hr20. Even the mediocre hd dvrs some cable companies give you you can at least hack moreso than the hr20, to enable some sort of video sharing that directv will probably not deliver for months, if not years.

I would say directv does have an edge more often when it comes to comparing non-hd channels.

Not here in Tulsa, Cox has a few more but there are claiming 8 local HD channels that I get OTA. Without those they are behing D*. PQ not as good in my opinion. Cost, more expensive per month.

Not here in Tulsa, Cox has a few more but there are claiming 8 local HD channels that I get OTA. Without those they are behing D*. PQ not as good in my opinion. Cost, more expensive per month.

I don't know about that specific market, but I haven't heard of hd lite being pervasive with cox cable around the country.

The simple fact is as far as hd offerings, directv has been playing catchup with major cable companies and broadband services for the past many months. The launch of local hd channels should not be overlooked, in many markets the same local hd channels had been up for quite a while before directv launched them including rsns in hd (broadcasted in wider ranges than directvs), including affiliates like upn, pbs etc that directv still doesn't offer in most places. But also these services already offered hd dvrs that could record ALL programming for a long time before the hr20 came out, usually national hd packages that at least matched if not often exceeded directvs, as well as hd lite not being as a common of an issue.

Last edited:
"USA Network, Sci Fi Channel, TBS, Cartoon Network, CNN and other channels are readying to launch simulcast high-definition networks by the end of the year.

CNN announced plans to launch an HD network in September at its opening session at the Television Critics Association's semiannual press tour, while an NBC Universal spokesperson confirmed the company will launch a "suite of HD networks." NBCU would not set an exact time table. A Turner spokesperson also confirmed HD networks for TBS and Cartoon Network. "

http://www.tvweek.com/news.cms?newsId=11336

Status
Please reply by conversation.