DIRECTV 3D

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I dont know as much as I love the "next big thing" when it comes to electronics I just dont have any intrest in 3D TV. I dont want to wear glasses to watch TV. Give me my crystal clear HD over 3D.

I guess the best comparison I can give is that when HD game out I had a SD TV that was working well but had to make the move to HD. I feel no move whatsover wanting to "Get" 3D

I just shelled out $2300 last year on a Samsung 46" 240hz LED that I love. I am curious but I am just not that excited by this. I agree with folks, the thought of expensive glasses just doesnt make me want to go out and replace my expensive gear. And to see what? A bunch of soccer players running around, standing and very infrequently actually take a shot at goal. And I dont do PPV. I do Netflix and and my Media Center for movies. I was on the fence about upgrading my HR20 to an HR24 but this is not my reason.

I think 3D would be cool don't get me wrong. However, I'm not going to wear glasses just to watch tv. When I have people over to watch a movie or show no one wants to put on a pair of glasses to watch tv. It's just not realistic and it's what's kept me from having no interest in upgrading to 3D. I do love my HD though.

3D will be great when glasses aren't needed. I'm just trying to figure out if they put Playboy in 3d and my wife walks in on me is that cheating?

There were only a handful in the online demo yesterday of them I was the only one that I could be sure of that actually had seen the Directv 3D demos at CES, I wear glasses so that is a non issue to me and I was impressed with what demos were shown then... (of course the Directv people involved have seen what they have now)

A niche format at best. I hope DirecTV doesn't devote all of their time and money on this short lived pseudo technology...

Yep. How many here old enough to remember the introduction of 4 channel quadraphonic sound for audio? And why did this truly, legitimately, superior audio format, a precursor to our present day 5.1 and 7.1 multi-channel sound for TV, DVD, and Blu-ray, NOT catch on with consumers decades ago? The same reasons 3D won't catch on with today's consumers.

Cant u just run an hdmi from:
a) directv receiver to tv
b) then another from tv to a/v receiver

?

Yeah, and the 3D players will have separate audio, but now that expensive AV with all the advantages of the Anchor Bay chip for video enhancement is now LOST. People are not going to run out and gleefully make their high-end AV's obsolete.

Wearing the glasses is not the only issue! The problem is many people just invested hundreds to thousands of dollars of nice HDtv sets. And instead of making 3D passive and compatible with "current" HDtv's they decide go this route. Im sure they could have made this technology passive by making new Blu-Ray players handle the Stereoscopic image and have glasses work with it. I mean seriously, do merchants think most people are going to invest in 3D that quickly? I think not! Just let this be a "Theater" niche product, Ill pass on In-home viewing!

Wearing the glasses is not the only issue! The problem is many people just invested hundreds to thousands of dollars of nice HDtv sets. And instead of making 3D passive and compatible with "current" HDtv's they decide go this route. Im sure they could have made this technology passive by making new Blu-Ray players handle the Stereoscopic image and have glasses work with it. I mean seriously, do merchants think most people are going to invest in 3D that quickly? I think not! Just let this be a "Theater" niche product, Ill pass on In-home viewing!

Your right, many of us jumped from SD to HD, even though our SD TV was working fine, I dont think people are going to jump from HD to 3D with there current TV's working just fine

HDMI 1.4 and 1.4a have been released. The DirecTV H/HR21-24 receivers do not need to be upgraded to a 1.4 spec in order to display the DirecTV 3d channels.

Reading comprehension.

You need 1.4 spec to See 1080P 3d channels, which is what I said.

I also said a 1.4 spec Directv reciever has not been released yet.

So again...I said why upgrade now when a upgrade to a 1.4 spec reciever will be required to view 1080P. Why not just wait for a 1.4 spec reciever to be released

Cliff Notes:

All HDMI 1.3 CERTIFIED receivers are 3D compatible to 1920x1080i. It's because the 3D spec uses 1.3 tags.
*We do not know for sure what D* recievers are capable of, because they failed to certify, just like they failed to provide HDMI/HDCP certification

HOWEVER you will need 1.4 HDMI compliant hardware to
1) view (ie: 3D TV or 3D projector)
2) Get 1920x1080p video (if you want 1080p progressive 3D, you'll need a 1.4 compliant receiver)

* I also wanted to add
The higher performance AVRs with HDMI 1.4 using the latest ICs that can handle the highest resolutions in 3D will be shown @ CEDIA 2010 & IFA 2010 in September and shipped in late 2010..
We got a while to wait boys, so D* might as well wait too.

Last edited:
Reading comprehension.

You need 1.4 spec to See 1080P 3d channels, which is what I said.

I also said a 1.4 spec Directv reciever has not been released yet.
DirecTV has said that the H/HR21-24 will support 3D at 1080p/24, and also that the receivers will check that TVs support 1080p/24 before they will send them 3D. So I'm having a hard time understanding just what sort of 1080p compatibility you think people should be waiting for. I believe it's true that the DirecTV receivers cannot handle the 1080p 3D format to be used by blu-ray, but I've heard that there is no prospect of that being sent by satellite, anyway. So there is nothing to wait for there.

Why do you think the DirecTV receivers are not 1.4 spec? HDMI 1.4a requires 3D signal sources to produce just one of the obligatory signal formats in the 1.4a spec, and the side-by-side format is one of those formats. So it seems to me, contrary to what you say, that the DirecTV H/HR21-24, with the 3D firmware update, do conform to HDMI 1.4a.

I'm sure the TV manufacturers are paying for this. There will be virtually no one watching. BTW I had a 3D TV, returned it. The flickering glasses technology doesn't cut it.

I have seen several 3D movies in IMAX and enjoyed them tremendously; however, I wouldn't waste my time or money to watch 3D movies on a television. I won't buy a new 3D tv or spend 150 plus dollars for 3D glasses (if you have a family of 4, that's about 600 bucks). I don't want to sit in my house and wear glasses to watch tv; I don't care about 3D sports. If I have the urge to watch 3D, I will pay the extra couple of bucks to watch a movie on a giant movie screen where I can enjoy the full-impact of the 3D graphics and visuals. I hope the push by D* for 3D does not impact the rest of their service in any way because I'm sure that the vast majority of people probably have the same opinion as me.

3D in 2010?

DTV is dreaming if they think 3D will take off any time soon. Like others have said, who wants to have to find their 3D glasses and then have to wear them to watch a movie or sporting event? Maybe DTV is planning on TWC 3D.:)

Last edited:

Your right, many of us jumped from SD to HD, even though our SD TV was working fine, I dont think people are going to jump from HD to 3D with there current TV's working just fine

I agree with everything said here.

There is NO WAY IN HELL that I am going to go out and buy a new TV when I put out a bunch of money for my 60" Pioneer Elite not all that long ago.

Status
Please reply by conversation.