Directv 72.5 satellite hookup

Status
Please reply by conversation.

speedway

Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
Hey guys I am new here and if you can help me out I sure would appreciate it a lot. I have a phase 3 directv satellite dish with three LNB's and I am installing the 18" dish for locals and I purchase the Zinwell 6X8 switch and I hook it up according to all the instuctions and everywhere I read it appears I have it connected right. but the 6X8 switch I have is not electric powered and it says the receiver powers this switch so my question is I have a Hughs GAEBOA receiver with an APG guide will this switch work with this receiver? I have the 4 coax wires running out of the phase 3 lnb into the 6X8 switch and I have the 18" dish lnb run to the flex port one on the switch and the running from the out port to my receiver. I have done the auto configure several times and there is no showing at all of the 72.5 dish that it has even been hooked up. so if anyone knows something to help me out please let me know. thanks

72.5 details

speedway said:
Hey guys I am new here and if you can help me out I sure would appreciate it a lot. I have a phase 3 directv satellite dish with three LNB's and I am installing the 18" dish for locals and I purchase the Zinwell 6X8 switch and I hook it up according to all the instuctions and everywhere I read it appears I have it connected right. but the 6X8 switch I have is not electric powered and it says the receiver powers this switch so my question is I have a Hughs GAEBOA receiver with an APG guide will this switch work with this receiver? I have the 4 coax wires running out of the phase 3 lnb into the 6X8 switch and I have the 18" dish lnb run to the flex port one on the switch and the running from the out port to my receiver. I have done the auto configure several times and there is no showing at all of the 72.5 dish that it has even been hooked up. so if anyone knows something to help me out please let me know. thanks

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=37632&highlight=72.5+locals

Are you sure that you are hittinng the 72.5?? The signal meter will not come up after autoconfigure unless you are on the 72.5

wobbie,
I can't be 100 percent sure I am on the 72.5 satellite but I have a dish for the sky angel service and it is located at the 61.5 location so wouldn't the 72.5 satellite be 11 degrees to the right of it if you were behind the dish then the 72.5 would be to the right wouldn't it? I have read on different threads that I should have only transponders 1 thru 16 showing up on the 72.5 and I have a good reading on those transponders and there is no reading on transponder 17 up. I have tested every cable they are working. the 6X8 switch must be working for it will pick up the 101, 110, 119 satelites thru it and the lnb on the 18" dish must be working for it gets a reading when it hit the satellite. but this was the way I got my reading on the 18" dish you can tell me if this was o.k or should I have done it different. I had the phase 3 dish so when I went to hook up the 18" dish to see if I could find the satellite I hook the receiver straight up to just the 18" dish till I located the 72.5 satellite (I hope it's the 72.5) and when I got a strong signal strenght I then hooked up the 18" dish to the 6X8 switch in the flex port one connection. then I did the auto configure and I get my others from 101, 110, 119 just the 72.5 satellite never does show up. I have unplugged the unit then taken out the smart card and put back in. I have ran several auto configure teat and it never does show up the 72.5. and on the screen of the receiver it shows either a simple switch or a advance switch. if it is the right satellite would it say "advance switch" or "6X8 switch"? if you have any ideals they sure would be appreciated thanks for the reply.

and I forgot to mention I don't have my sky angel satellite hooked up to this switch it runs to a different location I just wanted to make mention so that if some one can help me out that you don't think I have my 61.5 hooked up to any of my directv connections. thanks

the zip code is 37811 so shouldn't the azmuth be 169 and the elevation 47? is there a place to look all this up. is there a certain software version needed to run the switch. could it be possible my software is not updated? it says the switch will be powered by the receiver and it is a hughes GAEBOA receiver so would this receiver power the zinwell 6X8 multiswitch. sorry for so many questions just trying to find some anwers. thanks

speedway said:
the zip code is 37811 so shouldn't the azmuth be 169 and the elevation 47? is there a place to look all this up. is there a certain software version needed to run the switch. could it be possible my software is not updated? it says the switch will be powered by the receiver and it is a hughes GAEBOA receiver so would this receiver power the zinwell 6X8 multiswitch. sorry for so many questions just trying to find some anwers. thanks

Speedway it looks like everything you are doing (should work) and the AZ/EL you quote are correct for Tenn. The only thing i see is your Rec. is not listed as a compatible rec. on the chart i have here. Although you do have APG ??? correct !

495 & 496 should be test channels for 72.5.

The only thing i can say is hook up to 18 in. dish again ,make sure it is peaaaked and hook it all back into your 6x8 ,do not shut off rec at this point .
Do auto config followed by a reboot and see if it does a download...

I beleive Voomer is correct, your reciever probably is not compatable. Call DirecTv and find out or you may need a filter on the satellite input. I'm still agreeing with Voomer though..... because if I am correct the filter is used on the Samsungs. It does sound as though you are doing everything correct. If by chance you have access to a birdog, try to get it and that will definitely tell you if you have the 72.5 bird or not.... though I think you do.

Voomer,
Yes I have the APG on my receiver but there is one thing that has me puzzled is when I hook up the 18" dish straight up to the receiver and by pass the 6X8 switch shouldn't the directv test channels 495 & 496 be on the 72.5 satellite? or would they not show up until the auto configuration was done? and is there any other satellite that is up there close by the 72.5 that I might be on instead of the 72.5 that you know of? thanks for all the info you guys are helping me out with I sure appreciate it.

I also wanted to ask one more thing after the auto configure is done what switch type should show up on my screen..... Simple, Advance, or 6X8 ? another thing I notice that is odd to me is when I am doing the auto configuration the time (clock) will be my local time and sometimes it will go back one hour? do you know why this is? maybe some of these clues will help determine what I may be doing wrong. thanks again

No 72.5

How old is the rec. It is not on my list,maybe call Directv and just ask them to verify it will work!

The test channels will not show up until it is hooked into your switch,and the system sees the dish configuration there
Should be Advanced sw.
By the looks of things i would think the rec. Is not compatable with this set-up.
Do you have a neighbor or a friend close by that has a D-10 you could possibly borrow and see if it will find the configuration on your set-up?This would prove most of your concerns.

Voomer,
I called directv and ask them and I was told by the one that took the call it would work and then they went in to my account and said it wouldn't work and I had already emailed directv and got an email back from them today and they said it would work so I don't know. but if I can ask another question. since I have two recievers could I hook one receiver to the phase 3 dish and get my total choice plus on it and if I were to hook only the second receiver to the 18" dish would it and leave off the 6X8 switch would that bring in my locals on the second receiver? which I know I wouldn't have no total choice plus package on it but would the locals show up with just the 18" dish connected to the second receiver or do there have to be a switch connection before it shows the 72.5 satellite? if I could get my locals that way then I would know until I could get me a couple more receivers to work with the 6X8 multi-switch. thanks

P.S by the way is this offer as good as they say on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...43&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores can anyone get this if they are already a directv customer? thanks

72.5locals

Speed you have to be recieving at least 101 on a rec. and go through the compatible switch before it will enable you to pull the 72.5 satellite.
101 is you could say the core programming and 72.5 is an add on to it.

I know you must have already bought your second dish and a switch to use with it,maybe you should just call Directv and tell them you want to add locals and they can provide you with all equipment and upgrade your receivers while they are doing the upgrade. It will require another 1 yr contract with D*,But you then will have locals on all of your sets.
You can always sell off the parts you bought.

speedway,
I think you will find that the offer from ebay will be for new customers only.The GAEBOA receiver has the auto detect option but IS NOT 72.5 compatible we went through that when the 72.5 locals were just starting.Some people where saying they worked others said no.Apparently the software upgrade that was needed to make them work didn't agree with that receiver LOL.If you can't find a receiver locally let me know I have 1 or 2 used receivers still kicking around that you can have for the cost of shipping.

Tom
864-304-5659

Need more help to receive the 72.5 satellite

I just went and purchased me a brand new Hughes HBH-SA receiver and it is surpost to work with the 72.5 satellite and I still cannot receive it. I hooked up the 6x8 multi switch I did the config... and I rebooted by turning off receiver, unplugging receiver, pulling access card from receiver and still no 72.5 satellite showing up. I am almost certain the 18" dish in pointing to the 72.5 satellite for I am getting high signal strenght on tranponders 1-16 and nothing above 16. I have the phase 3 multi dias with the three LNB's I have all 4 of them running into the 6x8 switch like it shows on the directions I have the 72.5 satellite hooked up to flex port 1 and I have the receiver coax running from the out one port to the receiver. when I go to do the configuration do I set the dish I have to the "round dish" or the "Dish 2" or the "dish 3" ? after I do the configuration it takes it about 15 to 20 minutes then it will go off and the picture will come up and it will show a screen setting program guide. and one other thing on the chart you all have on here showing the receivers that are compatiable with the 72.5 satellite it shows the hughes HBH-SA is compatible but it shows on that chart that the software version should be..... 6125,1,100 it shows the software on my receiver as being ...... 6093,0,1 so would this make a difference? please if you have some advise please help me out. thanks

Speed you shoul not need to unplug or pull the card!
If you have your 18inch dish pointe and are certain you are on the right sat, go into auto config and set if for dish 3 ,they are looking for your Phase III dish here.
If the option comes up pick Advanced switch type,let the auto config run.
Then you will reboot ,you should then be able to go into the Point Dish screen and see all ,72.5,101,110,119, signals.
Each receiver is a little different and some you just need to change 1 thing in auto config and it will go through.

Voomer,
would the sofeware version being different have any affect on the receiver? thanks

does the access card have to be activated before it will configure to show 72.5? for I didn't have it activated yet to see if I could pick up the satellite before I do because if I can't I think I will just get me the Directv D10 this unit works with 72.5 and if I were to get it I still will have to have the 6X8 multi switch to use with the D10 won't I? I hope I can get this one to work. thanks

software

speedway said:
Voomer,
would the sofeware version being different have any affect on the receiver? thanks

No it should work out of the box ,although there are a few that you have to force to take a download first.
Never seen it on a hughes yet and not in the HBH series.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)