Directv Activation...Alternative Methods vs. Telephone Line

Status
Please reply by conversation.

parkim

Original poster
May 29, 2005
Given my location, I can't activate my Directv HR10-250 DVR through the standard land line and as well, I don't have the option of "taking it over to a friends house" to utilize his dish/telephone line.

I understand there is an alternative activation method via internet/USB/wireless? I'd appreciate if someone could provide me with the specific details/instructions for this approach?

I'd also welcome any other "alternative" methodologies if available.

Many thanks!

Given my location, I can't activate my Directv HR10-250 DVR through the standard land line and as well, I don't have the option of "taking it over to a friends house" to utilize his dish/telephone line.

I understand there is an alternative activation method via internet/USB/wireless? I'd appreciate if someone could provide me with the specific details/instructions for this approach?

I'd also welcome any other "alternative" methodologies if available.

Many thanks!

Not sure why you can't use landline... but if it matters, VOIP is equivalent to landline. As long as you can get RJ-11 with dialtone to the IRD, it should work. I use VOIP, and a wireless phone extender. The wireless extender can be 2.4 GHz, or the RCA/Radio Shack style that rely on the in-home electrical wiring.

I'm definitely a newbie at all of this - what does "As long as you can get RJ-11 with dialtone to the IRD, it should work." mean (specifically "RJ-11" and 'dialtone to the IRD'

Thanks

I'm definitely a newbie at all of this - what does "As long as you can get RJ-11 with dialtone to the IRD, it should work." mean (specifically "RJ-11" and 'dialtone to the IRD'

Thanks

RJ-11 is a modular phone wire connector, what you plug-into the phone or your D* rcvr. It means as long as you can plug a phone wire carrying a dialtone into the rcvr, it should work. You can use a traditional analog landline from your local phone company, or a VOIP line (Vonage etc) from broadband.

I personally use ATT CallVantage (VOIP) service, with RoadRunner broadband provided by Time Warner cable (not a traditional landline). My D* equipment does not have convenient phone jacks nearby, so I have them connected using wireless phone extenders.

You aren't very specific, whether location is within your house; or if you simply don't have a phone of any kind b/c you live in a remote cave, underwater, or on a mountain-top. Somehow you're online, so I'm assuming you have some sort of broadband.

I use a computer and dial out through the serial port on the machine using PPoE. Look at the TivoCommunity for a full explanation of how to set it up. This is assuming you have broadband internet.

Ah, well you can still use my method, just find a phone number to dial in the states and that should work.

I don't know for sure, but I think you can get a US phone number on your account.

Even still, I don't understand how you can defeat the spot beams. Won't you be limited to a fairly small number of channels?

Only local channels and some RSN-HD channels are on spotbeam.

Status
Please reply by conversation.