DirecTV almost has me convinced

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bogy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 18, 2006
Iowa
DirecTV almost has me convinced NOT to resubscribe. After I was all set to do so. We moved here 3 years ago, and briefly had Qwest for our telephone service, but switched to Mediacom because they could bundle our phone, internet and TV in one package, saving us some money. Qwest now has a deal bundling phone, internet and DirecTV that because of Mediacom's competition is just a little better. Plus, the one problem I have with our local channel lineup is that we get no regional sports channels. If I lived 40 miles away I could get them from Mediacom, but in my little town its not an option. I had put in an online request Thursday night for Qwest to call us Friday night. I had an emergency call, so my wife talked with a CSR and got a lot of information, and he arranged for another CSR to call about an hour later when I would be home. Got the call, and worked through what I wanted with him, (no, I did NOT want their super duper wireless router modem for $40, I have a two routers and a switch on my desk, and all I wanted was a standard modem. At least 5 minutes of the call was convincing him I knew what I wanted, and he didn't), I DID want the Sports Package so I would get the FSN Midwest, and that was something he had evidently never had anyone ask for before. We went over just how many receivers and what kind of receivers, and of course what program package. Everything is good to go. Then, he asks, oh, by the way, have you ever had DirecTV before? Yes, 6 years ago, and just today they sent me another letter telling me how much they miss me, and offering me the very same rates I have just agreed to with you. "Oh, then I can't sell you the bundle, DirecTV has to come direct from DirecTV. After you get your system from them, then we can bundle it for you."

I have spent a few more hours looking at options (even considering Dish), and considering if for the opportunity to save about $10 I want to go through the hassle of subbing to Qwest, subbing to DirecTV separately, then trying to get them bundled, coordinating separate installation times for the new services while the Mediacom service ends, just so I can save that 10 bucks, and get to see a few more Cardinal's games, while I also have to deal with, after obtaining five receivers, still having to jury rig signals to 2 other tvs.

I'll probably move again in 10 years or so. Maybe I'll just wait till then.

This isn't the section for DirecTV? It is their policy that someone who has previously had their service can ONLY return through them, and not through bundling with another company like Qwest. If there is another area to comment on their business policy, tell me what it would be. As I said, the prices I was offered to return were exactly what I was going to get with Qwest, and the same as any new sub would receive. The only difference would have been convenience for me. If someone has a good explanation for why it is in anyone's interest to make it more difficult for me or anyone else to subscribe, tell me what it is.

Companies are just strange with some of their practices. Ask any of the subs of the Dish/AT&T(SBC) bundle, they can't talk to Dish for any upgrades or deals, only AT&T and AT&T doesn't offer the same upgrades/deals which ticks a lot of them off. At least Qwest is saying they will do the bundle deal once you get the system from D* which is better then being told can't do it at all.

Could he just have his wife sign up and say she never had directv before? Due to privacy laws they cant tell if they were married. Just be sure to use a different credit card number when signing up.

This isn't the section for DirecTV? It is their policy that someone who has previously had their service can ONLY return through them, and not through bundling with another company like Qwest. If there is another area to comment on their business policy, tell me what it would be. As I said, the prices I was offered to return were exactly what I was going to get with Qwest, and the same as any new sub would receive. The only difference would have been convenience for me. If someone has a good explanation for why it is in anyone's interest to make it more difficult for me or anyone else to subscribe, tell me what it is.
If the account was in your name 6 years ago put it in your wifes name now problem solved, why do YOU make it hard?
If you are trying to get out of market sports network and watch professional sports you can't they will be blacked out, out of their contracted market. You would need to subscribe to the MLB package to get baseball out of your regional market.

I talked with a local installer tonite, and his opinion was that the CSR was wrong, and so was his manager if he was actually talking with one while he had me on hold. His understanding is that after having been unsubscribed for six years, actually after one, and having not left an outstanding bill, I should be treated as a new customer. Even though I keep getting the "please come back" mailings, I really should be considered a new sub. When he asked me if I had subbed previously I considered telling him no, and putting it in my wife's name, but after six years, and actually 12 since we first subbed with Primestar, I don't remember whose name it was in, although the mailing keep coming in my name.

I'm not trying to get any sports channels out of my market, I just want the ones DirecTV says I am eligible for from my zip. Mediacom offers NO RSNs in our community, except for college sports. Dish is also out because they don't offer me the one I want, FSN-Midwest, so I can get my Cardinals fix. 8 bucks a month will be a lot better than what I paid last year for MLB.TV online. That had some very convenient features, but I don't have enough time to make having access to every game played anywhere cost effective. I just want to be able to watch more than one game a week.

I'll probably go ahead and get it installed, and then get it bundled. I have considered calling back and getting a different CSR and telling him I never had DirecTV before and see what happens. Address, phone number, credit cards, everything but my name is different than what it was six years ago. Actually, I'm not sure having come in as a Primestar conversion if they ever had my credit card #.

I might be better off asking this in a new thread, but I have a question that relates to the topic of CSRs and what they don't know. We have a Toshiba/Tivo, that I just put a new, bigger hd in. It has the DVD burner and lifetime basic, which is a big part of why I put the new drive in. The first CSR my wife talked to told her that Tivo boxes are incompatible with the DirecTV boxes. This wasn't the opinion of the dealer I talked to, who I tend to place more confidence in. And the related question is, which box is currently used as the standard installation? I currently can use the serial cable with the Motorola box from Mediacom, but I think I still have the IR cable around here somewhere if I need to.

Your local RSN is included in your programming if you need to buy the sport package you are trying to get an out of market RSN which will be blacked out. The D12 or maybe the D11 is the basic D* receiver you will get. You will need the IR connection and it may not be as smooth a usage as your Mediacom connection is.

Your local RSN is included in your programming if you need to buy the sport package you are trying to get an out of market RSN which will be blacked out. The D12 or maybe the D11 is the basic D* receiver you will get. You will need the IR connection and it may not be as smooth a usage as your Mediacom connection is.

From the DirecTV site:
The 50601 ZIP Code is in the home team territory for the following pro teams. With HD Access select channels and teams available in HD are noted below:

With any DIRECTV base package (CHOICE or above, or FAMILIAR or above):
spacer.gif

Comcast SportsNet (Chicago) (Ch. 640) - HD Available
Chicago Bulls (HD Available)
s.gif

Chicago Fire
s.gif

Cubs (HD Available)
s.gif

White Sox (HD Available)
s.gif

With the PREMIER or LO MAXIMO package or any DIRECTV base package plus SPORTS Pack, you also get:
spacer.gif

FSN North (Ch. 641)
s.gif

Brewers (HD Available)
s.gif

Minnesota Lynx
s.gif

Minnesota Timberwolves (HD Available)
s.gif

Minnesota Wild (HD Available)
s.gif

Twins (HD Available)

FSN Midwest (Ch. 647)
s.gif

Cardinals (HD Available)
s.gif

St. Louis Blues (HD Available)

Teams and ZIP Codes are subject to change. Blackout restrictions apply to regional sports networks. To view games of other pro teams (out-of-market) requires the purchase of professional sports packages sold separately.

So you are saying that I really can't trust what the DirecTV site tells me? I understand about blackout rules. This is not the first time I have subbed to RSNs, Extra Innings or MLB.tv. I am in the home area for the Cardinals for MLB.tv. I just happen to be in an area which is on the edge of three MLB teams home territory, and Dish and DirecTV have chosen to make the free one the one I only watch in order to see someone (hopefully the Cards) beat the Cubs. I am not looking to get every game every team plays, just more than one Card's game a week.

I was hoping I might get one of the D10's. They have the low speed data port. Which might or might not be activated.

Last edited:
From the DirecTV site:
The 50601 ZIP Code is in the home team territory for the following pro teams. With HD Access select channels and teams available in HD are noted below:

With any DIRECTV base package (CHOICE or above, or FAMILIAR or above):
spacer.gif

Comcast SportsNet (Chicago) (Ch. 640) - HD Available
Chicago Bulls (HD Available)
s.gif

Chicago Fire
s.gif

Cubs (HD Available)
s.gif

White Sox (HD Available)
s.gif

With the PREMIER or LO MAXIMO package or any DIRECTV base package plus SPORTS Pack, you also get:
spacer.gif

FSN North (Ch. 641)
s.gif

Brewers (HD Available)
s.gif

Minnesota Lynx
s.gif

Minnesota Timberwolves (HD Available)
s.gif

Minnesota Wild (HD Available)
s.gif

Twins (HD Available)

FSN Midwest (Ch. 647)
s.gif

Cardinals (HD Available)
s.gif

St. Louis Blues (HD Available)

Teams and ZIP Codes are subject to change. Blackout restrictions apply to regional sports networks. To view games of other pro teams (out-of-market) requires the purchase of professional sports packages sold separately.

So you are saying that I really can't trust what the DirecTV site tells me? I understand about blackout rules. This is not the first time I have subbed to RSNs, Extra Innings or MLB.tv. I am in the home area for the Cardinals for MLB.tv. I just happen to be in an area which is on the edge of three MLB teams home territory, and Dish and DirecTV have chosen to make the free one the one I only watch in order to see someone (hopefully the Cards) beat the Cubs. I am not looking to get every game every team plays, just more than one Card's game a week.

I was hoping I might get one of the D10's. They have the low speed data port. Which might or might not be activated.

Curious, What would you use the Low Speed Data Port for ?

As for HD DVR's, you will get either a HR21 or HR 20, probably the 21, if you want OTA locals, make sure you get the AM-21 ( OTA Tuner) with it, the newer HR21 does not have an OTA tuner on it, the HR20 does.

These are the only HD DVR's that D* uses at the moment, these new ones are mpeg4 capable where the others available are older and do not accept mpeg4 programming.

Jimbo

Curious, What would you use the Low Speed Data Port for ?
To allow the Tivo to control it. Not all the D-10s have the port activated, but if it is it can take the place of the serial port, which is also a low speed data port. The serial port on the Motorola box has been very nice, no need to find the right IR code, and I've never had a hiccup with the Tivo being able to control it. Just like you use the best type of connection for the video signal you have available, you want to use the best connection available for the Tivo.

As for HD DVR's, you will get either a HR21 or HR 20, probably the 21, if you want OTA locals, make sure you get the AM-21 ( OTA Tuner) with it, the newer HR21 does not have an OTA tuner on it, the HR20 does.

OTA isn't an issue, because just like we are in a area on the border of 3 different sets of major league teams that claim us, we are on the edges of 3 different sets of broadcast markets, and none of them provide us with a decent signal, unless you want to put up a very good antennae. Choice will give me my locals, although I won't get the duplication of the same networks from different markets as I do with mediacom.

Rep Is Right

I work for a different phone company that can also bundle DTV. Your name is put in a data base and if you ever had DTV It can not be order through us either. The phone carrier can not tell when or how you left. IMO you want the biggest buck nothing wrong with that but once you have had DTV you can not order it through a providing phone company you must go directly through DTV. DTV then will decide what if any offers for receivers and discounts you qualify for with DTV.

I work for a different phone company that can also bundle DTV. Your name is put in a data base and if you ever had DTV It can not be order through us either. The phone carrier can not tell when or how you left. IMO you want the biggest buck nothing wrong with that but once you have had DTV you can not order it through a providing phone company you must go directly through DTV. DTV then will decide what if any offers for receivers and discounts you qualify for with DTV.
Except the offers are exactly the same. As soon as I am signed up with DirecTV I can bundle with Qwest and get exactly the same $5 discount for bundling, except it might take one or two billing cycles for the bundling to take effect. I don't see where I am trying to take unfair advantage of anyone, I am just trying to eliminate what for me seems to be unnecessary steps to get where I want to be. And I DON'T have to order directly through DirecTV. Unless by that you include a local dealer. Which is what I will probably do, and then bundle with Qwest. As the dealer said, unless you can wrangle a better deal out of DirecTV directly, everyone is selling the same thing at the same price.

If there is a data base with my name in it, that data base should also be able to note under what status I left.

Except the offers are exactly the same. As soon as I am signed up with DirecTV I can bundle with Qwest and get exactly the same $5 discount for bundling, except it might take one or two billing cycles for the bundling to take effect. I don't see where I am trying to take unfair advantage of anyone, I am just trying to eliminate what for me seems to be unnecessary steps to get where I want to be. And I DON'T have to order directly through DirecTV. Unless by that you include a local dealer. Which is what I will probably do, and then bundle with Qwest. As the dealer said, unless you can wrangle a better deal out of DirecTV directly, everyone is selling the same thing at the same price.

If there is a data base with my name in it, that data base should also be able to note under what status I left.

Best I can suggest it to go ahead and call the people you want to work thru and see what happens.

Jimbo

I don't think a database of names is viable. My name is Brent Dotson and there are at least 14 people named Brent Dotson in the US (There are two of us in Utah). Obviously they have to pair it with other info to make sure you are the same. The OP however, said that he has changed his address, credit cards, etc how would they tell that he was the same person that had the service 6 years ago?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)