Directv and P12N

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nvsundevil

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2015
Nevada
Posted on another site questioned the truth of Wikipedia indicating that pac 12 network is coming on August 1 to DTV...........any rumblings heard on this site??????

Wikipedia, the online encylopedia that ANYONE CAN EDIT.

If you look at the Pac 12 Network's page's history, the "8-1-17" edit was done by a not logged in editor and this is the only edit to any article ever done from that person. Both are generally a sign of BS.

If such a deal happens, you will find out from a better place than the cesspool that Wikipedia has allowed itself to become.

Nothing to confirm that yet. Neither party has announced an agreement and there has been no movement to indicate that the standstill has been passed. Hopefully they are at the table though.

From someone that has the Big Ten Network ....
If the PAC12 works the same way as the BTN, the majority of the Big games are on Other networks.
For example, my Buckeyes games are on ESPN, or ABC for as long as I can remember, till the move to Fox this year, however I believe it was regulated that every team has to play on the network 2 times a year, so the Buckeyes least attractive games each year are usually on BTN ... so other than those 2 games, I really don't watch the BTN ...

The Pac 12 network experience may be the same.

Doesn't the Acc channel start next year? I imagine Directv will pick that up with no problem

The ACC Network will be a joint venture with ESPN, just like the SEC Network. It will launch just prior to football season in 19. Between now and then the overall carriage contracts between Disney and all major providers will expire, including DirecTV. There are issues with the channel mainly because ESPN wants an "in-state" rate from every place the ACC has schools. Two issues there. One, is that includes lots of places in the northeast, where college sports are less popular; the other is that it includes states where the (vastly more popular) SEC also has teams, which would mean paying "in-state" for both channels. For example, in Kentucky there are virtually zero Louisville fans outside metro Louisville, but they want the whole state to pay. If you look at the proposed "in-state" footprint ESPN has, it is half the population of the country. It also wants certain areas to pay an in-between rate because of Notre Dame, including Chicago.

There has been push-back, and, while ESPN has denied it, stating flatly that it will be a full-time "linear" channel, some think it may just be a "brand name" for ACC games on ESPNU, or that ESPNU will shut down and the ACCN will go there.

The ACC Network will be a joint venture with ESPN, just like the SEC Network. It will launch just prior to football season in 19. Between now and then the overall carriage contracts between Disney and all major providers will expire, including DirecTV. There are issues with the channel mainly because ESPN wants an "in-state" rate from every place the ACC has schools. Two issues there. One, is that includes lots of places in the northeast, where college sports are less popular; the other is that it includes states where the (vastly more popular) SEC also has teams, which would mean paying "in-state" for both channels. For example, in Kentucky there are virtually zero Louisville fans outside metro Louisville, but they want the whole state to pay. If you look at the proposed "in-state" footprint ESPN has, it is half the population of the country. It also wants certain areas to pay an in-between rate because of Notre Dame, including Chicago.

There has been push-back, and, while ESPN has denied it, stating flatly that it will be a full-time "linear" channel, some think it may just be a "brand name" for ACC games on ESPNU, or that ESPNU will shut down and the ACCN will go there.
what about basic in market and sports pack out of market? put Chicago out of market. NBC owns Notre Dame football rights.

NBC owns Notre Dame football rights.

Notre Dame also plays basketball (and other sports) where it is just another ACC member. And NBC owns only Notre Dame's HOME games, UND's deal with the ACC requires it to schedule 5 ACC games, of which the away games rights belong to the ACC. So the ACC package will include either 2 or 3 UND away games per year.

If you remember ESPN's launch of first ESPN2, then ESPNU and finally of SECN, it put several high profile games that probably should have been on "higher" networks on those new channels, to cajole systems to carry the new channel.

Notre Dame's first game in 19? @ Louisville. Bet you a dollar it is the ACCN's first game.

Does anyone east of the Mississippi care to pay more for the PAC 12 network? I don't.
Outside of the Pac12 area, it should be a add on , if you want it great, if not you don't pay for it ... but I don't know if that would be the way it works or not.

Me being in the Big Ten network area, I have no idea if its available to those outside of the BTN area ...
I gotta think it is, but I don't know if its conus or not.

If I was outside of the Big Ten viewing area, I would Not be paying for it, as theres only 2 football games my team plays on it each year.
If I was into the other sports maybe then ... but football is the only one I follow continuously.

Outside of the Pac12 area, it should be a add on , if you want it great, if not you don't pay for it ... but I don't know if that would be the way it works or not.

Me being in the Big Ten network area, I have no idea if its available to those outside of the BTN area ...
I gotta think it is, but I don't know if its conus or not.

If I was outside of the Big Ten viewing area, I would Not be paying for it, as theres only 2 football games my team plays on it each year.
If I was into the other sports maybe then ... but football is the only one I follow continuously.

I am pretty sure on DirecTV Big10 is treated like a national network. I'm on Dish, and in the last year, although it is still listed in the multi-sport pack, Dish has made Big10 as well as Pac12 network the same as Longhorn and SEC Networks - Big10 and Pac12 are treated as national networks on the AT120+ and up. So we all pay for all of them.

I have a feeling when ESPN launches ACC Network, they are going to require it be a National network like these others are. And it is just a matter of whether DirecTV (or Dish) pick it up. My guess is that since ACC Network is backed by ESPN it will be picked up by both satellite providers.

Now, it could be the networks are more interested on saying "we are in x number of households" and are willing to only be paid a couple of cents for out of market areas. But to your original point - I agree that if you want it you should pay for it in the add-on pack - even if it is minimal.

Does anyone east of the Mississippi care to pay more for the PAC 12 network? I don't.

Other than displaced alumni / wannabe alumni of the various schools you can say the same about any of the conference specific networks, and certainly the failed nothingness that is the Longhorn Network. How many people in California give a rat's a** about Virginia @ Syracuse? How many people in Mississippi would watch Purdue - Minnesota if it were played in their front yard with free beer? How many people in Oregon care at all about Texas @ Oklahoma State?

With the exception, of course, of the SECN. The SEC, the greatest conference with the best teams is the only conference with a truly national following. It just means more.

Other than displaced alumni / wannabe alumni of the various schools you can say the same about any of the conference specific networks, and certainly the failed nothingness that is the Longhorn Network. How many people in California give a rat's a** about Virginia @ Syracuse? How many people in Mississippi would watch Purdue - Minnesota if it were played in their front yard with free beer? How many people in Oregon care at all about Texas @ Oklahoma State?

With the exception, of course, of the SECN. The SEC, the greatest conference with the best teams is the only conference with a truly national following. It just means more.

Yeah right. Keep dreaming if you think people in Sycacuse or Madison give a crap about Auburn vs Mississippi State or Florida vs Missouri. The SEC isn't even competitive any more, Alabama is so far ahead of everyone else in the conference they might as well award them the SEC championship and playoff spot today.

Not really ....
The rest of us don't care about Vanderbilt vs Kentucky football either .... (sorry ramy)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts