DirecTV dishonest

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Anharat

Original poster
Mar 17, 2012
Texas
I was an eight year customer of a cable company when I was approached by a DTV sales rep in a Best Buy. He gave an excellent sales pitch because I finally signed up with DTV and the next week cancelled my cable service. I asked him how much the equipment and installation would cost, and he told me there would be no charge for any of the equipment or installation AND he would " throw in on demand free", just for me. Technician comes over 3 days later and installs, but tells me I need another device to access the DTV Cinema. While he was still at my house, he uses my phone to make a call and tells the person on the other line that they need to send this particular device. Three weeks later, no device. I call customer service and find out that it will cost $80. I understand it's a semi-reasonable price, but nobody told me I had to pay for this device. Not the sales rep, not the technician. I feel duped. So I am locked into a two year agreement, without G4, without H2, without NatGeo Wild, and without any On Demand service. In two years I will return to my slightly more expensive cable company. I will happily pay an extra $10 for some honest people.

1. Welcome to SatGuys
2. More than likely that was a Best Buy sales person with a DirecTV logo
3. Why do you "need" the cinema kit? I have DirecTV VoD (on demand) and do not have this device. Is it specific to the receiver you got?
4. As with all purchases, did you make sure to get everything in writing AND THEN after the incorrect or suspect install did you make sure to dispute and not sign the work order that it was all done 110% correct?

I know I don't "need" the device. My wireless router is upstairs, my box downstairs. If I didn't have a 9 month old, i would just take my 50ft cat5 and string it downstairs. And I'm not experienced enough to wire it through my wall. =(
And I know I shouldn't have signed the work order, but the fact that the tech called from my phone to have the device ordered AND the fact (fact?) that he was a pastor led me to believe that I would be taken care of. How can I distrust a godly man?

Problem 1) you ordered through best buy
Problem 2) you signed the work order

Solution, eBay :D

On a serious note, most installs done by Sams club and best buy are far from good. Everybody has bad techs in their area but good ones too. Sams club and best buy are not even certified to do installs! Right now they have techs taking pictures and building a case to remove these 2 retailers from selling or installing. To get your cinema kit I'd check the solid signal site or dish store if you can't find anything good on eBay

I did not pay a cent for the on-demand kit. I also have NatGeo Wild and H2. It's sad when people get a bad installer/fake Directv salesperson. Call and whine more! (nicely, of course...)

Edit: If you're referring to those channels in HD, well, yeah... that sucks.

:welcome to Satelliteguys Anharat!

This is a classic case of not doing your homework. G4 was removed from the lineup a year or so ago. H2 and NatGeo Wild are available, but not in hd. As for the equipment issue, I would suggest emailing the office of the president. They are very good at resolving this very type of issue. Here is the address:Contact DIRECTV Office of the President - DIRECTV

If you are still in your first 90 days you can call and get the wireless cck sent at no cost. If the rep tell you other wise ask for a sup. I work in customer care and know for a fact that we have a offer for new customers in the first 90 days to get that sent.

I don't think i've ever heard this much crying on satguys in one day! Will somebody pull the plug!:eek:
And to the OP. Be happy your getting damn good HD PQ from directv. Unlike the hopper and joey suckers!:D

I don't think i've ever heard this much crying on satguys in one day! Will somebody pull the plug!:eek:
And to the OP. Be happy your getting damn good HD PQ from directv. Unlike the hopper and joey suckers!:D

I don't think the OP should just "be happy" about good PQ when he was told he would receive something and didn't. If the device was promised to him, which it most likely was since it's normal for the cinema connection kit to get installed on all new installations, then he should get it.

I would highly suggest calling DirecTV again and politely bring up this situation and see what happens. Explain to them that you were promised the device and it was not available at the time of installation. Looking back, it probably would have been good for you to not sign the work order until everything was included with the installation but this isn't a major issue.

Do you recall if they said if it was a wireless CCK or just a standard CCK? The purpose of this device is to provide on demand for all of your HD-DVR receivers. If you have whole house DVR, you can then watch your recorded on demand on any of your boxes on your whole home DVR network.

Bingo....nuff said. Hate to say this but people need to take responsibility for their own actions.

Just a little bit of homework like chip mentioned would've really helped. Personally when I'm not familiar with something I ask 100 questions and trust no one. Don't care who I annoy because it's me who will later be stuck with something I'm not happy with.

I would suggest the op calls directv and explains the situation. They usually do what's necessary to make it right.

I don't think the OP should just "be happy" about good PQ when he was told he would receive something and didn't. If the device was promised to him, which it most likely was since it's normal for the cinema connection kit to get installed on all new installations, then he should get it.

Yeah, not getting the CCK was wrong. But, i heard mention's of missing channels too!

When I ordered my HR34 the wireless one was included....but since I had a ethernet cable already there the tech installed a wired one...to which I unhooked as all I have is the HR34 ;)

twizt3dkitty said:
yea but is the wireless kit usually included? I know the regular ethernet kit is most of the time.

It's actually techs decision now. The work orders are just built as "broadband eligible" and the tech decides if wireless or wired is the way to go. However, wireless pays 0 so most techs go wired. Some were saying it was wired then putting in wireless but now they're required to get a completion code to close the line item and it's different depending in wired and wireless do that bit them in the butt

My install yesterday came with it for free. Did wireless, although it didn't seem to like my cable modem/router. So he actually leaves the kit/dcck here and says to try another router, and if you have trouble to call him this week and he'll come back by. I did try another router that works with every other device in the house but not the dcck. Never had any problem connecting stuff via wifi. Anyone have any idea why it wouldn't work? I've tried with the WPM buttons on the router and dcck, that won't work. Doing it manually won't work either.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)