DirecTV DVR Help!!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

rwparham

Original poster
Jul 7, 2004
I am new to the forum and in need of some advice.

I am a relative "idiot" when it comes to my satellite and how it works, etc. so please bear with me.

I recently purchased an integrated DVR for my house. I have a round dual LNB satellite dish that services two rooms. I was not aware of the additional hardware required to be able to record two shows at the same time. That is where I need advice.

Would you advise that I add a multiswitch to my dual LNB dish or upgrade to a Triple LNB oval dish with the multiswitch built in?

An additional question...

If I add a multiswitch, can I use a diplexer to combine the signal, then use another diplexer once inside the house to separate the signals to hook up to the DVR? The reason I ask is because my current satellite wire is run through (literally) a wall and I would like to avoid drilling another hole in my house.

Finally, if I purchase another dish (through a local vendor or off of ebay), how much does DirecTV typically charge to install a dish?

Thanks for all of your help.

You have a few options you could purchase a multi-switch with a built in diplexer or keep your dish and add a multi-switch or get a triple LNB dish (built-in multi-switch) and add diplexers after the LNB feeds.

Had you purchased your DVR from DirecTV they would have provided for installation at no charge and would get you any equipment needed for the installation. Maybe you can still go that route.

Eeesh, since I'm a noob to DVR, this is all a little complicated. :eek:

I have a dual LNB DirecTV servicing 2 rooms. I recently replaced one of the receivers with a Samsung DirecTV DVR, realizing that I need access to BOTH cable connections to use the record-1-watch-another feature.

The whole things was pre-wired in-wall and I really don't want to run a 2nd cable to the DVR to take advantage of the 2 inputs.

Is there another way I can do this without running another wire, and with not too much expense?
(You mentioned multiswitch diplexers ... etc, but that might as well be Greek to me) ;)

Thanks
Ian

If you are talking about combining two signals onto one to split back out for both tuners you cannot use a diplexor. You will need a stacker/destacker setup for that.

The probelm is that I have one of the dual LNB signals going upstairs, and the other downstairs. I need both signals into my DVR to record 1 channel while watching another, but I don't want to run a 2nd LNB signal to the DVR.

Basically, I'm trying to split one signal into 2 and plug the resulting "two" signals into the DVR to get what I need.

Hey, everything's worth a try :)

Stacker/Destacker is your only option to do that without running another coax line to your receiver.

Sounds good. Any idea where I can find some good info on this to figure it all out? other than Google, of course ;)

Thanks again
Ian

Correct me if I am wrong but if he were to stack/destack he will still lose the TV in his other room. the stacker still required both LNB's input correct?

I think his best solution would be to get the phase III dish installed. The he'll have 3 connections in use and one available for expansion later.

Since he already has dual LNB, he just needs a multi-switch. DirecTV setup mine and used a 4x4. The two lines from the dish ar input on one side, two lines are output to the Tivo, and two additional are output to each of my other receivers. I'm considering upgrading to an 8x2 so that I can add my extra receiver to the Tivo setup when both tuners are recording. In this case, the two inputs would be fed from the dish, and I would have three additional outputs for future expansion or sharing dish (not subscription) with neighbor.

Multiswitches are available from various DTV reseller websites, and are reasonably priced. Those would be your best bet.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts