Status
Please reply by conversation.

satjay

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 30, 2005
Michigan
Any news of when the new non "Tivo" DVR will be out?. (Got my answer, looks like next month maybe accoring to CSR for non HD..)

Robert, did I understand correctly that DirecTV will switch out FOR FREE the H10-250 Tivo for the mpeg4 R15 high def DVR to existing customers?? thanks.

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
My contacts tell me I will receive my first allocation of R15's on November 7, 2005.

-Robert
Robert, will you still be honoring the previous "early" orders of the R15?

Will there still be a $100 rebate available for these units?

glenglenddd said:
Robert, did I understand correctly that DirecTV will switch out FOR FREE the H10-250 Tivo for the mpeg4 R15 high def DVR to existing customers?? thanks.

There is no such thing as an "mpeg4 R15 high def DVR".

There's the R15, which is a SD, MPEG2 DVR.
There's the H20, which is a HD MPEG4 -receiver-.

Anything else, at this point, is a glimmer in DirecTV's eye, with no release plan or release date.

Hogarth said:
There is no such thing as an "mpeg4 R15 high def DVR".

There's the R15, which is a SD, MPEG2 DVR.
There's the H20, which is a HD MPEG4 -receiver-.

Anything else, at this point, is a glimmer in DirecTV's eye, with no release plan or release date.

Well, you're right about the R15 and H20. But I think any future products are quite a bit more than "glimmers". We just haven't gotten the scoop on them yet. A mass-market technology product like a DVR probably has an 18-24 month development cycle from conception to retail availability.

What's on the horizon that we know about is the HD mpeg4 DVR and the Home Media Center. Both are probably within 6-12 months of full-scale launch.

peterl1365 said:
Well, you're right about the R15 and H20. But I think any future products are quite a bit more than "glimmers". We just haven't gotten the scoop on them yet. A mass-market technology product like a DVR probably has an 18-24 month development cycle from conception to retail availability.

What's on the horizon that we know about is the HD mpeg4 DVR and the Home Media Center. Both are probably within 6-12 months of full-scale launch.

I'll concede that -- the core of my point was that we have not gotten the scoop and are unlikely to get the scoop any time in the near (~3 mo) future.

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
My contacts tell me I will receive my first allocation of R15's on November 7, 2005.

-Robert

End of August...
September...
October...
Late October...
November 7th

Whew, good thing its not medicine or Hurricaine relief. :)

Brewer4 said:
End of August...
September...
October...
Late October...
November 7th

Whew, good thing its not medicine or Hurricaine relief. :)

It sure isn't hurricane relief, the DVR is actually quicker to arrive! :no

video62 said:
This post is from someone that has 'played' with the new R15 for a few hours.

Is that post correct?Can't cache two live channels at a time? That is a major step backward. No thanks-I 'll keep my TIVO. Will I be able to use my DTivo sat boxes fro the forseeable future?

srjewettlaw said:
I 'll keep my TIVO. Will I be able to use my DTivo sat boxes fro the forseeable future?

Indefinitely.

There are people still using Ultimate TV boxes, which were discontinued in 2001.
DirecTV rarely kills old equipment outright. Instead, they just don't make any more, and when the equipment dies (which is always does), they replace with the newer (hopefully better, but not always) version.

Hogarth said:
Indefinitely.

There are people still using Ultimate TV boxes, which were discontinued in 2001.
DirecTV rarely kills old equipment outright. Instead, they just don't make any more, and when the equipment dies (which is always does), they replace with the newer (hopefully better, but not always) version.

TRUE! I still have an UltimateTV (and love it), but will likely replace it a few months after the R15s come out (and I get really see how it works).

I love my Ultimate TV. Its the only D* DVR (I know of) that has a picture-in-picture feature and both tuners can cache live t.v. at the same time as long as the pip box is open. Its an absolute must for watching football games. None of the Tivo boxes have the pip feature, and from what I've read elsewhere never will, which I find to be a HUGE drawback.

I'm holding out hope that D* will someday add pip to its own line of DVRs. My Ultimate TV can't last forever. My parents have a HD-DVR through Brighthouse Cable. I can't remember the brand, but their unit has the pip feature . . . if their's has it, maybe D* will too.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)