DirecTV & Echostar in talks

Status
Please reply by conversation.

slacker9876

Professional Amatuer
Supporting Founder
May 20, 2004
Spokane, WA
I heard this morning on my local news that DirecTV and Echostar in in talks about forming a joint WiMax high-speed network. Sure would help them out with bundle packages that cable has been offering. Nice to know the two could work together and anyway who has used it knows anything would be an improvement over the DirectWay services.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
We have been talking about these here for a few weeks now. :) They will use a ground based network using cell phone towers. From what I understand there will be a antenna which you will attach to your dish which will allow you to access the service.

herdfan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 22, 2004
Cottonwood, AZ
Scott Greczkowski said:
They will use a ground based network using cell phone towers.
Why would the cell phone companies allow them on the towers? Would this not compete with cell companies data offerings?

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Check out todays Wall Street Journal, there is a big story on it on the front page. (If anyone has a link please post it)

Yes the cell phone companies are already crying foul.

JosephB

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 21, 2004
Atlanta
Cell phone companies don't own many of their towers, they're owned by a third party and space is leased by the cell phone companies. Most towers have equipment for more than one carrier on them anyway

Kentstater72

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 18, 2004
North of Toledo
Many local government entities, planning commissions etc. make it a condition of approval that the towers are "shared" with competition to minimize the number in the community.

aec4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 26, 2005
JosephB said:
Cell phone companies don't own many of their towers, they're owned by a third party and space is leased by the cell phone companies. Most towers have equipment for more than one carrier on them anyway
Even the towers owned by cell phone companies are rented out to the other companies. Usually, the owner puts their stuff on top.

iceburg

Jul 12, 2005
Any idea what kind of speed we're talking about with a proposed offering like this? I've been suffering with Direcway since I moved to the boonies two years ago and would sure love something that's faster and more reliable.

cheebs

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 15, 2005
WiMax is pretty cool, I have several CPE's ranging from 512 to 1 meg at different locations. Only downside is the upload speed, which is typically 25% of the DL speed.

So far, the service has been reliable enough, only experienced a couple of glitches when the provider's fiber was shot to bits LOL. Other than that, I love the portability of the indoor CPE's which work anywhere in the city. Instant connectivity rocks!

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
I cannot wait for this to become available. This will allow satellite to compete much much better with cable. This will also greatly help reduce churn. In addition this will make them more money (good for their stocks) and lead to other new services in the future. This is great for those that want mobile television as everything available at home would also be available on the road cheaply.

JosephB

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 21, 2004
Atlanta
I'm not worried about competing with cable, reducing churn, more money, blah blah blah. I'm not a shareholder. I'm just a guy who lives in the sticks and is stuck on dialup, that's all I'm worried about :)

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
I'd take their service in a heartbeat if it was cheap and reliable enough and so would many others out in the sticks such as myself. It would compliment their television service VERY well.

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
We can all dream can't we? Those in the stix will get it eventually whether it be D/E or somebody else. It is just a matter of time.

MikeD-C05

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Nederland , Texas
To bad Directv and Dish couldn't develope a third company to do just locals in both sd and hd . Then we could get the country done quicker and eliminate redundancy. When I posted this idea months ago everyone said no they can't do this because it would eliminate competition- that is why they prevented the merger. It looks like they can and will combine and work together to do broadband internet so I ask again; Why don't they work together to do all the locals now instead of waste all the bandwith to duplicate all those locals? IF Cable is the real competition then both sat companies should work together to provide that triple threat of video / internet/ phone service? IF they can't catch up an provide these and other cool services like true video on demand, then satellite will fall further and further behind the new invigorated digital cable services that do provide them.

TheDishNetworkInstaller

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 11, 2004
Middle of No Where
I don't think that was MikeD's idea. Think hes talking strategic alliance. Which if this BB comes about, is exactly what it will be. When it comes to DBS these two are in a class by themselves. They're going to have to work together to compete with cable tv period. Even if they can't merge or acquire each other its there only real defense from the Monopoly cable companies have in many areas and the cheapest way from the sounds of the technology to get broadband to the boonies.

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
I agree with MikeD-CO5 on this one. They would be better off developing a seperate company just for local channels (SD and HD) so that they could share the space to access those local channels. They would have a LOT of additional space if they could do this. Why couldn't they do this being two seperate companies as they are now? They would not have to merge in order to share the same satellites, just split the cost of the satellite cost. They could do the same with the basic channels too. Just because they share satellite space does not mean that they are merged. I suppose the competition would see that as a disadvantage to those that may want to compete with them as this would give them an unfair advantage.

Never say never about Dish and DirecTv merging.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)